Regular Dwarfs return in The Old World

Here is a complete breakdown of all the Dwarfen Mountain Holds returning kits, (and “returning” kits that never actually went away), remasters, and new kits.
Link to preview article on Warhammer Community

New

Dwarf Hero on Shieldbearers/Foot (bundle sprue)

Material: Plastic
Note: This does not appear to be the unreleased plastic hero/lord on shieldbearers, this is a brand new sculpt!

“Dwarf Lords who arrive in the same box – one Lord borne aloft by Shieldbearers, and the other on foot. The kit allows for one great weapon and one axe and shield, has interchangeable heads – and it comes in plastic.”

Young Ungrim Ironfist

Material: Forgeworld Resin
A.K.A Youngrim

Dwarf Thane with Handgun

Material: Forgeworld Resin

Arcane Journal, Dice and Reference Cards.

Page Count: 48 pages
Contents: Two armies of infamy, rules for two returning characters, rules for some more units (but not Prince Ulther’s Imperial dwarfs).

Returning OOP kits

Forgeworld Dwarf Command

Material: Forgeworld resin

Anvil of Doom

Material: Metal

Goblin Hewer

Aliases: Malakai Makaisson’s Goblin Hewer, Axe Thrower

• Typically sells for £50-80 second hand, and very very hard to find in good condition. The axe handles bend easily and are often snapped off on second hand models. This is a big returner.

Imperial Dwarfs (Early 90s)

No image provided, unclear what this kit will consist of (and my expertise on this unit/vintage are poor)

Bugman’s Cart

Slayers

20240322_092731

• Worth noting is the unit champion, which is a rare mini. I believe it originates in Warhammer quest and usually costs £25+ second hand.
  • Also worth noting is the banner topper with the metal troll head, rather than the natural troll head which is another variant.

Slayer Doomseekers

• Hard to find these minis as it is, usually go for £15 each second hand pre-OldWorld. Getting these for somehing like £7 each would be fantastic.

Grudge Thrower

Bolt Thrower

Flame Cannon

Cannon/Organ Gun

Dwarf Miners

Dwarf Warriors/Longbeards

Dwarf Thunderers/Quarrellers

Master Engineers

Made To Order

Prince Ulther’s Dragon Company

• Will include rules in its box, it is stated that these rules will not be in the Arcane Journal (Something for a Lost Legions 2.0 maybe?), unclear whether the rules are the same as the mainstay imperial dwarfs.

Queen Helgar Longplaits

Other

On top of that, yet further into the future, there are five more sets of mighty Dwarfen legends to be Made to Order. These include a set of five metal Lords, three metal Runesmiths, four metal Dragon and Daemon Slayers, […] and a Lord, Thane, and Standard Bearer in resin.

“Returning” kits that never went away

Belegar Ironhammer

Live GW Link

Runelord

Live GW Link

Dragon Slayer

Aliases: Slayer of Legend, Unforged, Grombrindal, White Dwarf
Live link on GW Website

Hammerers/Longbeards

Live Link to Longbeards on GW Website

Ironbreakers/Irondrakes

Live link for Ironbreakers on GW Website

Gyrocopter/Gyrobomber

Live Link on GW for Gyrocopter
Live Link on GW for Gyrobomber

7 Likes

I made this as much to sort through the information for myself as to show in pictures exactly which kits are going to be available and in what capacity, to as much an extent as possible.

Helgar Longplaits coming Made-To-Order is pretty big, that’s a Colin Dixon sculpt from the 1996 Grudge of Drong, not super hard to find but obviously pretty unique in that it’s (almost) the only female dwarf model GW has released.

Other noteworthy releases are:

• The Doomseekers, which are usually £15 each on ebay.
  • The Goblin Hewer, which is usually £50+ on ebay and in bad condition.
  • That slayer champion from warhammer quest, usually £25 or so on ebay.

So there are genuine savings to be had if GW goes with similar pricings to its Bret/Tomb kings pricings.

My wishlist for the future:

• Colin Dixon Longbeards Made-To-Order. I know @jasko wants this too and generally they’re highly coveted and usually cost £10 each on ebay.
3 Likes

Dilligent work as always Corbin, and promptly delievered. Thank you and well done. It is wonderful to have images of all the stuff they spoke about, but didn’t post up, in one place.

3 Likes

Those would be a dream! I’m sure many of the older metal models would be highly appreciated as a MTO actually. Dwarfs were always a very popular faction.

Other cool models would be the “drunk dwarfs”, many of the old special characters, basically any old metal models would probably fly off the shelves :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Drunk dwarfs is a good shout, I didn’t even think of them.

Long Drong’s Slayer pirates would be amazing, I think if we got the Colin Dixon Longbeards and these I’d be satisfied.

The other big stuff that I’d really like to see for dwarfs would be any of the unreleased minis (Though I’m not so keen on the unreleased dwarf Steam Tank after Peachy’s recent video where he described and sketched it. It’s 8th edition gyrocopter style, which I’m not a huge fan of).

3 Likes

I’ve had a box of various drinking Dwarfs collecting dust for ages. I still want to make my Chaos Dwarf version of Slugman the Brewer and his entourage. Maybe some day. All my ideas are always static brewery ideas and not so much a mobile unit of drunk Chaos Dwarfs.

Some of these new models coming out have been great for me over the years for conversions and I still have a few set aside for a rainy day, although BATG will take a hit these model models being re-released is great for us!!

Here’s one of the models from the Bolt Thrower crew:

And crew from Malakai Makaisson’s Goblin Hewer made it into my Daemonic Locomotive and as a gold coin vacuuming slave in one of my old slave Dwarf units:
(far right)

~N

[Edit]
Almost forgot the other two crew from the Bolt Thrower:
First one of them is conjuring a spark to ignite the K’daai Fireborn as it’s being animated…
IMG_4932sm

(far left) - There are never enough smoking Dwarfs out there… this was a conversion for a unit that remains unfinished!

7 Likes

Haha, these plastic dwarf kits give me ptsd. For a bout 2 sec I considered making pinhats again… :sweat_smile: :face_with_peeking_eye:

5 Likes

I love this. These sculpts are literally the reason I now have a 3000 point oldhammer dwarf army (got a good deal on these on ebay and things just kind of snowballed from there). I realize that they are quite different from newer GW stuff, and may not be to everyone’s liking, but for my money, the Perry twins’ dwarf miniatures of around this age are about the best GW has ever done.

Anyway, back when they were originally released (just around the switch from 2nd to 3rd ed!), the Dragon Company were characterized by having a brace of pistols in addition to their shield and hand weapon. Pistols worked a bit different back then (for one thing, they were strength 5, at least in 2nd ed), but I would still expect this to be a feature of their TOW rules. Might make them quite an interesting unit on the field.

Here’s the original box back:

7 Likes

Oof, they get Frenzy wen fighting against Chaos Dwarfs!!?! Yikes

… and “I would never rest until the blight of the Chaos Dwarfs was cut out from our race and the Chaos Dwarfs were no more” ??! These are FIGHTING words!!!

5 Likes

Oh yeah. Forgot that part… please disregard everything I said. These are obviously horrible people. Never liked them at all :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Prince Uther’s unit is a worthy opponent after all!

These are (although now rebased) some of the last Dawi I still own. I’ve given most of them away.

5 Likes

That’s the guy, right? Bought him in a blister as a regular champion and he still leads my classic metal Ironbreakers, but I always felt he looked a little off for a regular champion. Never knew the model’s history. Nice!

(Also, bask in the glory that was 14-ish yeah old Jasko‘s mad paint skillz)

I would go completely mad if they released it! But I also love the new gyrocopters and always wanted something like this. Crazy tank and rune golems. I had such high hopes for the End Times (before I realised they were actually going to be the end times)

3 Likes

Added:
The returning Dwarf Master Engineers, exactly the ones I predicted (though I forgot there was the handgun variant)

Link to Facebook post.

2 Likes

I got the one with the awesome great weapon, but one can hardly have too many Engineers. Might have to pick 1-2 up.

But overall I’m in no rush to get the Dwarf stuff. Which is good, cause that shit is going to sell out in seconds.

I’ve further devided the list into stuff I definitely will get sooner or later and others which I have to think about again as it would be mainly for collector’s reasons…

1 Like

I have the great weapon guy as well, but it’s a bad finecast cast so I’m really quite torn haha. I’m in the same situation with the grudge thrower too, I have an awful finecast version of it that I’ve never touched because it’s depressingly bad, getting a good crisp cast in metal would be really nice but obviously something of a waste money-wise.

It’s possible I have one of the others and have forgotten, but if they’re cheap I think I’m on board to buy all the ones I don’t have.