Stone, Iron, Fire and War... CD photos of inspiration from Thailand

Greetings from the Lands of Khuresh, or should I say Thailand.
Ancient Thailand was a land of interconnected powerful fortress city states, connected by long roads to the center capital, ruled by warrior Kings who ruled not by bloodline, but by proven worth in battle. A land that prospered by waging nonstop wars against it’s neighbors for slaves to work it’s iron mines, a land that valued iron over gold, a land that honored it’s warrior priests and lords with stone statues atop towering ziggurat platforms. A land that wealth and status was determined by how tall your hat was.
Sound familiar?
It should.
Per a suggestion from our dear Admiral, I’d like to share some photos I recently took from the ancient fortress city of Khampaeng Phet in western Thailand.
It’s relatively unknown to the western world, but it was a garrison city at the center of wars that lasted centuries against the Burmese, a fortress city built of iron and stone, and the most valuable commodity was iron, copper, precious stones and slaves.
It was levelled and burnt to the ground by the Burmese after a 13 year long siege, approximately about 1357 AD.
The surviving stone and brickwork has an eerily beautiful burnt color of oxidized iron, and could easily be of interest to many of you looking to create tabletop scenery, accurate bases, CD themed artworks, etc…because everything has a look of fortress workshops and slave mines in a dark foreboding atmosphere.
Imagine these pics with skies darkened from furnaces, and you’ll get the idea.

First off, a mining pit:

Slave pits (housing) :

Burnt and charred Buddha and warrior statues, made with an inner laterite stone, and were covered in gold, copper and bronze. The Burmese set them on fire to melt off the valuable metal work during looting:

This one is of particular interest (I’m a history nerd)…see that hole in its back?
The Burmese were well aware that stone effigies of Thai warrior priests had valuable stones, diamonds and emeralds interred within the back of the statue, after melting off the gold layers, the Burmese would then gain access to the repository of treasures in its back:

The Burmese missed a few though, these extremely rare examples of jewelry were discovered in 1956 after a lightning storm broke open a statue.
The ancient Thai placed more value on rare stones and iron ingots, rather than on gold…and I’d imagine a CD would think the same, no self respecting dwarf would wear gold, stone is the soul:

And my favorite photos that I took were of the workshops, temples, toppled ziggurats and palaces…all are charred iron oxide laterite stone pillars…very CD in my opinion, I’d imagine places like this dotting the dark lands of Zharr:

The charred oxide red tones are really cool, and if one day I ever get around to painting WH bases again, I’ll use these color tones…I’ve always imagined the plains of Zharr being these darkened colors.

For those of you who appreciate ancient fortifications, here’s a few pics you might find interesting…the fortress city had 30 meter deep “moats”, extremely impressive and a sure death trap:

See those short odd stone walls? They’re anti tank traps…well, actually anti elephant.
War elephants can’t step across these:

Hopefully you’ll find some inspiration from these pics…and in true CD lore, I’ll tell you the tale of what happened to the Burmese army after the looting of the fortress city of Khampaeng Phet…when news quickly arrived that a Thai army was advancing to counterattack, the Burmese general ordered an immediate retreat. Two days later the Burmese were out flanked at the Ping River and annihilated, more than 30,000 were beheaded and set on fire upon surrender, the Burmese soldiers who were caught with looted gold bricks were then treated to the Kamphaeng Phet (CD?) “code of theft”…their hands were nailed to the bricks of gold and they were tossed into the river to drown.
And the captured Burmese general?
He was sent back to Toungoo (Burma) with a message for his King.
A message that was tattooed on his face, it read “My brother, why do you yourself not come to visit us?”
:skull:
Thanks for reading, and again, I offer you greetings from the Land of Khuresh (Thailand)…come and visit us.

12 Likes

What wonderful history and reference pictures! What great inspirations, both as regard the stories of ancient Thai and the images of burnt stones. Thank you most kindly for sharing this treasure with us, o Khan of Khans.

A 30 meter deep moat!? It sounds like a record in fortifications.

Filed into the CDO Library. :anvilskull:

Southeast Asian history is by the way one of my weakest areas together with Latin American history after Columbus. Please share more glorious tales from the Land of Khuresh in the future!

Cheers

3 Likes

This is really lovely Fuggit. One of my best mates is Burmese and my wife loves SEA. This is like the most wholesome Thai holiday ever.

3 Likes

@Admiral
Yes!
30 meters DEEP.
They’re actually long mining trenches dug down through solid rock, but with fortifications strategically built along the topside.
I wish I was able to take more pics of the actual fortifications, but my phone literally became too hot to hold…it was a blistering hot day, so hot that the rubber soles of my shoes literally melted while walking on the laterite iron stone walls :fire:
I can’t even imagine how hot it would’ve been for the slave workers digging the iron pits.
The largest remaining city wall is 2400 meters long with ten gates integrated within raised battlements.
@chitzkoi , I’m glad you like the post, my regards to your mate, the Burmese were undoubtedly the largest and most feared armies of those times in Southeast Asia.
I’m trying to remember the name of the Burmese King who sacked the largest Thai city state of Ayutthaya in 1767 (crazy that the Burmese and Thai were continually at war for 500+ years).
The Thai call him Hongswa, but I think his actual name was Hinbyushin (spelling ?)…his two siege campaigns against the Thai are epic, he’s an underrated tactician and was rightly feared.
Let’s not forget that the reason the Mongols never seized lands south was because the Mongols were defeated three times by the Burmese armies.

3 Likes

Huh, for some reason I always thought Khuresh was the Korean peninsula; no idea why. :thinking:

1 Like

If I’m remembering correctly, at some point GW did change the map a bit, and Khuresh was moved to be a bit farther south of Grand Cathay.
So maybe that’s where the confusion comes from, I think it changed in 4th edition?
:thinking:?
But Khuresh is definitely Southeast Asia in terms of canon lore.
images (2)

The Naga Snakemen of the Khuresh hinterlands are definitely Southeast Asian folklore, and the Thai believe the Naga are one of the Four Heavenly Kings that protect against enemies from the west (Burma). These snakes can be found at all Thai temples (this Naga is close to my home):

5 Likes

A bit more historical references for those of you who are interested in Big Hats…the ancient armies of Southeast Asia always denoted rank and status by the size of their helmets.
Ornately decorated Big Hats not only displayed rank, but were a practical aspect of front line combat, making it easy for soldiers and junior officers to follow their generals in close combat and colors also denoting individual units.

Big Hat lovers, enjoy:

images (3)
images (5)

Common foot soldiers and junior officers weren’t as ornate, but still had headgear denoting ranks:

And war elephants had sharpshooter muskets to target enemy officers:

You’ll notice that war elephants also carried small bore grapeshot cannons, along with “panzer grenadiers” support infantry that followed the elephants to protect their legs.

6 Likes