T9A: New Faction & Culture Proposals

Preamble

Summary

Following @flagellant04 's question of what are Byzantine Skaven, I realized that it is high time I relaunch this aesthetic & background advice for the Ninth Age thread in the archives on the new forums.

After all, anyone who was around on CDO during the years of decline around 2017-2019 could not easily have missed it, and the glorious, wacky brainstormings of @Uther.the.unhinged to all manner of fantasy culture proposals. When I burnt out in late 2019, I largely put Ninth Age culture concepts in fallow, but the hope is to resume the project maybe next year.

I have been meaning to relaunch the Ninth Age brainstorming thread on Discourse for a long time, but I always planned to thoroughly copy over every post. Now, lacking time, I’ll take it in steps. First out is a compilation of all my own drawings for various armies and culture proposals. Later on I will add artworks from other artists, reference sheets, map proposals and discussions, and not least the wonderful unit ideas for the various cultures of @Uther.the.unhinged .

New Faction & Culture Proposals

Due to a big update to the Ninth Age site last year or so, all my saved links prior to the update now leads to the 9th Age main site instead of the specific threads. In time I will update the links, but for now we’ll make do with culture proposals without links to the mother threads.

Avras

First out is this Akritai and pistol doodle for fantasy human Byzantines, proposed for Avras. Then I learnt that the Ninth Age would make their Vermin Swarm Roman/Byzantine.

Akritai 01
Avras 02

Byzantine Vermin Swarm

The basic observation, made by others, that led me to Byzantine Ratmen were the following facts for Skaven in Warhammer Fantasy:

I) Skaven have segmented armour (lorica segmentata).

II) Skaven have metal helmet crests (as late antique Romans did).

III) Skaven have mediaeval flamethrowers (another Roman point).

IV) Skaven’s capital city lies in (under) an inaccessible swamp town (a reference to Ravenna in the Western Roman Empire).

V) Skaven are backstabbers prone to civil war (check almost any period of Roman history from the late republic onward to the fall of Constantinople in 1453 A.D., and you’ll see why this is relevant).

To say nothing of slavery, engineering skills and so on.

As such, Warhammer Skaven already have a Roman streak, so I wanted to run with it further in the Ninth Age. Ergo, Catarats and the whole Byzantine shebang on display here. Note the orgy barge for @Eisenhans , and the last human emperor of Avras quartered by four Vermin Hulks emblem.

The trick is to play up the more decrepit sides of Roman history, and not delve into anything that can come across as noble, self-sacrificing, disciplined and brilliant. This was easy, given what the Romans wrote about themselves! Not least the gossiper Suetonius. As Tacitus had it:

“Do you suppose that the Romans will be as brave in war as they are licentious in peace?”

Avras 03

Avras Grenadier 01
Avras Medical Deputy 01
Avras Mutiny 01

Avras Vermin Tyrant 01

Anteater Monsterhunter

Vermin Swarm offshoot for western Taphria. Based on certain West African tribal traditions of stilt walking.

Ethiopian Dwarves of Kegiz Gavem

The big focus of my brainstormings. Ethiopian Dwarves is a perfect fit. Light-worshipping arch-enemies of the Infernal Dwarves.

Kegiz Gavem Icon of Dhuraz the Preserved 01
Admiral 29

Kegiz Gavem Travails of Makada 01
Admiral 31
Kegiz Gavem Coffee Harvestrix 01
Kegiz Gavem Holy Warrior 01
Kegiz Gavem Rifleman 01
Kegiz Gavem Shotelai 01
Kegiz Gavem Spearman 01

Koghi

Mali/Ghana empire concept:

Cave Dwarf of the Mountains of Gold

Taphrian Wildebeest Minotaur

Beastmen concept.

Taphrian Feral Orc

Koteka phallic gourd concept, half meant as a joke. For isntance, Greenskins might not have genitals in Ninth Age, akin to WHFB.

Taphrian Feral Orc 01

Aotarakoa Saurian Ancients

Nias tribe Indonesian Lizardman.

Lost Islander Dwarf

Inca Dwarves of the Wrathful Mountains

Chicha Brewing Dwarf Womenfolk  of the Wrathful Mountains 01

Moche Infernal Dwarves of the Torture Valleys

Makhar Nomads

Steppe nomad concept, akin to Slaaneshi steeds in WHFB but without Daemonic mount.

Makhar Flayer 01

Warriors of the Dark Gods

Hornhandle hatswing.

Assyrian Infernal Dwarves of the Blasted Plains

Disciple of Lugar.

Infernal Dwarf Disciple of Lugar 01

Hittite Infernal Dwarves of the Barren Mountains

Plus Cimmerian/Andronovo culture Kundrocerian Hobgoblin sidekicks.

Akha Dwarves of the Sky Foothills

Southeast Asian highlander Dwarves.

Korean Dwarves of Aseadal Peaks

Dacian Dwarves of Nevaz Derom

Germanic Dwarves of Nevaz Barim

Helvetian/Swiss Dwarves of Nevaz Vanez

Gallic Dwarves of the Maidens

Celtiberian Dwarves of the Crimson Peaks

Inuit Polar Dwarves

Polar Dwarf 01

Petra/Arabic Nekoshim Dwarves of the Copper Mountains

Udmurt Infernal Dwarves of the Khuralsh Mountains

Admiral 33

Finnic Frost Elves

Kantelist.

Frost Elf Kantelist 01

Highborn Elves

Elf Armour Concept 01
Elf Heavy Archer 01
Face of a Killer 01

Tribal Fight in Minor Augea

Galatian humans, Karian Orc & Goblins and Isaurian Vermin Swarm.

9 Likes

These are really great, your style lends itself to fantasy-historical so well. I particularly like your Incan and Moche dwarfs. And the fight at the end makes me yearn for a more in this wider pseudo-historical setting than Warhammer gives us. Cheers!

2 Likes

@flagellant04 : Thank you very much! It is warmly appreciated. More will come, but probably first next year. Burnout interrupted my fantasy culture spree, but I hope to resume it after clearing some top priority work.

Åskland Longhouse

A colourful and rather shoddily crafted acrylic painting of an Åskland longhouse for the Ninth Age fantasy world. Overt references to Dark Gods worship was kept out of this one, save for a skull trophy on top as a hint that all is not a summer idyll. The phallic plank jutting down from the ridge of the roof is a reference to my father’s carpentry firm.

The small haystack next to the house is a reference to an infamous haystack left right next to a house in the saga of Burnt Njál. In this Icelandic settler saga, a clairvoyant old woman kept telling everyone that the haystack would bring great calamity upon the house, but she was ignored and the haystack was never moved. Instead it was used as kindling by foes in a blood feud, that saw the old man Njál and his wife burnt to death under their blankets for the sake of the bloody deeds of their doomed son Skarpheden (who among other fell deeds slid over ice as if on skates to deliver a quick charge with an axe and take his enemies with surprise).

Åskland corresponds to Viking age Scandinavia.

The Ninth Age is a historically based classic fantasy world. My own endeavours in it aim to come up with concepts and chuck in proposals to take the historical inspiration much further than has been seen in Warhammer Fantasy, with a plethora of historical cultures for various fantasy races. This include such concepts as Finnic Sylvan Elves, Ethiopian Dwarves, Byzantine Ratmen, Moche Infernal Dwarves and Nias tribe Saurian Ancients.

Reference Images:

Summary

1 Like