The London Legion

Hello all fellow disciples of Hashut!

So, I’ve been collecting Chaos Dwarves for ages and ages, and have somehow never got round to seriously putting them together to form a proper army. With lockdown, and a bit more time on my hands, I’ve now decided to assemble the legion, give them a lick of paint and construct a legion to be reckoned with.

I’m a big hat fan, so have basically got a ton of classic big hat dwarves from GW, as well as some Forge World pieces. I intend to also add as some Russian Alternative models to the mix (their infantry troops are just ace) as well as some Lost Kingdom miniatures (which are simply sensational).

I’ve painted some classic axe men, which I’m pretty happy with. I intend to paint the blunderbussers soon.

The only thing I haven’t decided on is what to do with the bases. I’ve considered the lava bases that are on sale in lots of places, but they don’t really achieve the aesthetic I’m looking for; I want something simpler, earthier and more realistic of what would be on a battlefield. Any advice would be appreciated!

15 Likes

Welcome to the forum! :16: I’m looking forward to seeing your collection getting painted up. Those four warriors already look very cool. As for simple/realistic base designs: have you tried GW’s texture paints? I’m very lazy when it comes to basing, and I’ve had satisfactory results with Astrogranite (sometimes mixed with the Debris variety to get in some bigger chunks). Just slap it onto the finished miniature’s base, give it a generous black wash after it’s dried, some drybrushing if you feel like it, and it looks like a proper ashen wasteland. :24:

1 Like

Great collection and welcome aboard!
On the square bases I am a fan of a grey rocky base and a brown trim, like a Gorthor brown…that is if goblin green is out of the question :wink::+1:t2:

3 Likes

Id go the same route as ghraskdragh, v simple but looks good. Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your progress painting your army :28:

1 Like

Welcome, friend :21: What a great collection, looking forward to seeing more of it.

1 Like

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your army progress. I’ve just been digging into some Russian Alt minis and definitely recommend them.

As for basing, baking soda is quick and simple, adhered with superglue. Scatter it with some rocks or sand grains for variety (or kitty litter so I’ve heard). Tabletopminions over on YouTube has a good video. Makes for great ashen wasteland.

EDIT: I used this on my Skaven

3 Likes

Welcome, thats a great start you got there.
Hat or Die! :27:

2 Likes

Welcome mate! Loving the gritty grounded scheme being applied to the classic miniatures - a lovely touch!

Also London legion? You ain’t that far from me mate. Based in south Essex. With CDO being such an international forum that basically makes us next door neighbours haha.

4 Likes

Also from my side a warm welcome! As for the bases, so you just look around here in peace, I think here there are so many different armies, styles, color schemes and bases, so you would actually have to find something suitable here! :26:

1 Like

Others have shared great ideas for bases here, so I’ll just say that I’m a fan of your paintjobs. Exquisite look! Love the dark shading.I hope you find a basing way that complements the rest of your colour scheme.

4 Likes

Hi, thanks for your comments! Yes, I’ve got Astrogranite, and I too am a bit lazy with bases, but am trying (somewhat in vain) to make an effort with them. I might try the Astrogranite route for one base and see how I feel about it.

2 Likes

This baking soda tip is great. Might give this a go too.

1 Like

Hi, nice to see another Big Hat joining the party.

I usually use model railroading ballast of varying size, and then something like static grass and other organic looking stuff. Generally, I also just paint the edges of the base black. Keeping it simple speeds up the process and my painting rate tends to be almost glacier-like.

2 Likes

Thanks for this suggestion, I like this idea. I think I might play around with a few of the options everyone has suggested and see which one works best for me and choose the one that best fits. I too want it to be a relatively quick process; I guess I won’t know until I start having a go and seeing what works!

If you go the stones on base route i think its way easier to stick them on with pva. Let dry for 8-12hrs then spray the whole model black.

I have tonnes of savage orcs where i didnt do this and boy do i regret it. Over 10yrs on still hardly any based dedpite being decently painted

1 Like