[TOW] Blazing Body, Front Rank and Stepping Forward

Hi,
I looked at the Blazing Body rule and love it. But I need you to confirm. So it is resolved for any model in based contact with each model having this rule, for me this is cummulative. I took a ruler, a pen, a sheet of paper and counted that

• 5 K’daai in front of 6 (25mm) cause 10 hits,
  • 4 K’daai in front of 6 (25mm) cause 10 hits,
  • 5 K’daai in front of 8 (25mm) cause 12 hits,
  • 4 K’daai in front of 8 (25mm) cause 12 hits,
  • 5 K’daai in front of 6 (30mm) cause 12 hits,
  • 4 K’daai in front of 6 (30mm) cause 10 hits

These hits are handled at the start of the combat phase. Which means that for causalties enemy models need to step forward in the combat phase and therefore are not allowed to attack as stated in the Stepping Forward rule. Causalties created by the Blazing Body rule do not count for combat, but can reduce the enemies’ offensive power and retaliation. S 3 is low, but those are a lot of auto hits and we can reduce toughness or the armour values.
Of course the same is true for the Taurus.

Do you think so too?

1 Like

Ooof, another headscratcher.

TBH, I never considered that it might be cummulative. I intuitively thought any models in base contact with a unit having this rule gets a hit. But you might be right, RAW certainly seems to corroborate.

As for stepping up, yeah I think I’d agree here too! I really don’t understand why it doesn’t count towards CR in the first place, when Impact Hits and Stand & Shoot do. Doesn’t sit right with me.

I’ll add to the FAQ

1 Like

Maybe because it is resolved in each and every combat phase before any other hits. A true strike first but that would be to powerfull.

2 Likes

I do not think it needs to be FAQed the Blazing Body is quite clear as it is model againist model and the Base Contact rule is clear about corner contact cases.

2 Likes

True, my aim is just to collect all questions in one thread. And while I agree that RAW is pretty clear here I think, I could still see that RAI is different and this would be modified in an FAQ.

1 Like

Ok! But I do not see that RAI is different. The Taurus is one heat source which can burn you to ash. But each K’daai is an individual heat source, so double chances to burn/wound a model if it is in base contact with more than one K’daai.

2 Likes

Yup totally agree here, corner hits should be cumulative so do your best to maximize them on the charge!

1 Like

Yes like playing minesweeper, even more if we add the Hellshard for the real explosion :dead: :bomb:

3 Likes

I just run it as one hit per model in b2b and I also have it count towards CR.
Not really sold on the Kdaii as is and I definitely don’t think it’s too strong to have it reduce enemy attacks since the kdaii get wiped against the slightest breeze with their two wounds at T4 and a subpar save.

1 Like

That part is crystal clear in the PDF, though, it does not count towards CR.

K’daai versus 25mm

K’daai versus 30mm

Sure a lot of possibilities left

3 Likes

I have never made a unit of K’daai Fireborn. That’s another project to add to the list!

1 Like

I think that this will be FAQed so that each enemy can only suffer a single wound due to Blazing Body, not a single wound per model they are adjacent to. I don’t think it was ever intended to be used in the method above or it would have been specifically stated.

The Stepping Forward rules makes sense though, it’s the same combat phase so they don’t get to attack even though they don’t count towards combat resolution.

2 Likes

Only if we ask for it to be FAQed :wink: just kidding. But if I go back to Tamurkhan the rule also states that each model in base contact with a (does not matter if its one or more) K’daai is hit.

So in base contact with this model of the current ruling needs to substituted with in base contact with this unit and doing so will Work for both Taurus and K’daai.

A problem is that bases and base contact always refer to models and not to units in this edition. Even the rule about the base size speaks of models. So it is still valid to assume that the Blazing Body rule (any model (friend or foe) that is in base contact with this model) is equal in RAI and RAW. Also als mentioned earlier the K’daai lost a lot of defense, therefore more power to strike with the glas hammer ist needed.

Addition
There is also the ruling on p146 that:
A charging unit must endeavour to bring as many models as possible within its front rank into base contact with models in the charged unit.
So the K’daai have to count corner cases etc. In my words all togehter the K’daai need to be maximize the number of bas contacts between them and the enemy.

But at the moment it is quite clear multiple auto hits.

Cheers

1 Like

Yeah, usually they say something like “a model in base contact with one or more models with this rule…” Which would be an easy errata.

2 Likes