[TOW] Hellcannon Multiple Wounds (D3)

I have looked over and over, and so far I can not find anywhere that states the “Multiple Wounds (D3)” for the doomfire shot is for only the model under the center hole.

All the other warmachines or stonethrowers make the additonal included text stating the multiple wounds is for under the hole only.

From what I can tell, most info online and posted here seems to follow the thought it is only for under the hole. BUT it actually doesnt state that anywhere?

Did I miss something?

2 Likes

No, you didn’t miss anything. I read it all a couple of times too, because I was looking for it. It doesn’t specifically say.

So, I’m going to play it like that too (only under central hole, together with the S10) because I’m sure it is RAI, as it always has. But RAW suggests that it applies to all wounds.

3 Likes

Been playing it as everyone gets d3 wounds

“You’re getting D3 wounds…”

6 Likes

Ogres beware then.

I played a game yesterday. Shot a tow doomshrieker at some trolls. D6 wounds on the middle one. Rolled a 6 for wounds. There was a troll on 2 wounds so i only caused 2 wounds. Is that right? I thought id do 3

1 Like

No that’s right, you technically cause 1 wound, which then becomes D6 wounds, but you cannot cause more wounds this way than the model has, so if there was an Ogre with 2 wounds left, you only cause 2 wounds.

2 Likes

Cheers, so he was right. Kinda crap though. You can only kill a wounded model

We were playing fear wrong too. Ws1 is a thing of the past…

1 Like

Well if no Ogre was wounded and you rolled a 6 than one dies anyway.

Hello, Digging back thru the dark tomes. Back to the 2012 Warriors of Chaos army book page 42. Back in those glorious days, it was S10 under the hole and D6 W. I would take that as D6 now a days under the hole.??
Hope my humble opinion helps.

1 Like

It is a bit counterintuitive, surely something that needs to be clarified. What would be the case if the rocket also caused two more wounds with the template. Who decides which wounds are handled first. The weaker one without MW or the big with MW D6?
E.g. an Irondrake unit with trollhammer are the models shooting at the same time or model by model. So that without fast rolling I can decide by the outcome of one shoot, which weapon I will use next? I am allowed trying to chip the remaining wounds of a wounded troll with the drakeguns and then roll for the torpedo to kill another?
Isn’t it also a special case with the model directly under the template? Is really that one model at exact that position hit and further wounded or is it more abstract?
In 40k there was/is a ruling that if a wound can kill a multiwound model then always a model with full health needs to be removed. Maybe we should ask for such a rule.

You decide in which order you shoot with.

But please, don’t be the kind of player who tries to first allocate 2 wounds from the Drakeguns to kill off a wounded Ogre, then do the D3 wounds from the Trollhammer Torpedo to hopefully kill the next one and then continue with wounds from the Drakegun. Either the Drakeguns shoots first or the Torpedo, and you follow it through including wounds. Yes, sometimes that means “wasting” a multiple wounds roll.

2 Likes

No way I am going to play like that! But asking what can be done or what ist possible to max damage is fair. Because other players will do (Linehammer … ). But causing wounds with the multiple wounds rule against multiwound units ist something that every army can face or do. A comparable situation can also happen in combat. Therefore a FAQ could help.

1 Like

Sure is. So it is as I said: You determine the order in which shots are resolved. If there’s a wounded Ogre with only 1 left, better to shoot with regular shots first. If none is wounded, use the weapon with the Multiple Damage. It’s the same in combat.

This is not correct. The model under the hole is the model taking the wounds, so if that model was unwounded then it has its full 3. If it doesn’t kill him then you attribute them to the injured one on the end.

For the initial question I’d say either way to play is fair. It’s classified as a monster, not a warmachine, and doesn’t get the +1 to it’s D3 wounds either. It’s entirely possible it was intentional and is a unique feature.

2 Likes