[TOW] Rules question about the Lamasu ability

(TOW) Rules question about the Lamasu ability

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the “Sorcerous Miasma” ability

This says: During the Combat phase, any enemy model that uses a magic weapon to attack
a character mounted on a Lammasu counts as being armed with a simple hand
weapon instead.

Now the question from my side:
Does the ability affect magic weapons from the Magic Items section that are additionally purchased? Or does it also apply to weapons of units that have a special rule like magic attack? For example, our Ensorcelled Weapons,

Or the weapons such as the High Elf Swordmasters?

1 Like

Going out on a limb here and say only weapons which are “Magic Items”, so purchased from the general or army specific list from the pts allowance of the character. Many models have magic attacks for some reason, would be hard to make a cut here.

But I’ll add it to the FAQ!

2 Likes

God that makes life difficult

It’s a magical attack that only applies to a non-magical weapon

The miasma protects you not from magical attacks but from an attack that is from a magical weapon.

Therefore it would seem as a darkforged weapon is a magical attack from a non magical weapon the lammasu has no special ability to prevent it as it can only stop magical weapons not magical attacks.

What a mess

Edit: Rules as written it stops nothing. But surely a darkforged weapon is a magic weapon if it’s a weapon with magical attacks…

It’s hard - a lot of the St4 dudes in this game have been given a special buff to their hand weapons where they lost the armour pen from being s4 compared to older editions. Traditionally they’d have had neg one to saves but no magic needed.

4 Likes

Well, a Darkforged Weapon technically is not a magic weapon. Just says “hand weapon”. Acqxsually it doesn’t even have Magical Attacks. That comes from the Ensorcelled Weapons USR. And Ensorcelled Weapon specifically says it only works with non-magical weapons. So all of that is fine with Sorcerous Miasma.

It’s anyway important to remember that Magical Attacks and Magic Weapons are two different things. Otherwise Sorcerous Miasma should also be triggered by Assailment Spells, like Warp-Spawned, which specifically says Magical Attacks, not Magic Weapons. The term “Magic Weapons” only comes up in the context of Magic Items.

I knows it feels a little nitpicky but I do believe those are the kinds of weapon they want the Lammasu offer protection against: The Ogre Blade, not some Ironsworn’s hand weapon that happens to have Magical Attacks.

3 Likes