[TOW] Wizards not taking armor or shields

Good morning fellow Hashutees! I was reading the rules last night and see that wizards cannot wear armor or take a shield (and still cast any spells). But our wizards come with heavy armor…do they just mean they can’t take extra armor/shields for the extra points? Or is that some sort of paradoxical typo?

And if so what are some other efficient magical thingies to boost the durability of say, a Sorcerer-Prophet on a Bale Taurus or Lammasu? There are so many to choose from! Apparently there are some Monster Killers out there that can insta-kill monsters (which I gather Behemoths are also Monsters?).

3 Likes

Generally: Wizards cannot cast spells (and dispel, probably) if they’re wearing armour. Therefore, wizards usually don’t even have the option to be equipped with armour or shields (exception is barding, that does not interfere with magic). This lack of armour/shield equipment issue will come back later :slight_smile:

Our wizards come with the Blackshard Armour special rule which, next to granting a 5+ Ward against flaming attacks, means that they inded can wear armour and still cast/dispel.

As a general rule for buying magic armour, any model (not just wizards) can only get a piece of armour / shield / barding if it can be equipped with the mundane equivalent of it. This means that our wizards can take magic armour but not shields, since they cannot be equipped with a mundane shield.

As for additional protection (also for a regular wizard without any special rule allowing him to take armour), there are always talismans. We have our unique Stone Mantle, which is awesome, while the common list supplies the Talisman of Protection. Interesting to note that a single model can have both. Because yes, a Sorc on Bale Taurus is a Behemoth and therefore protected from the effects of Killing Blow, but not from Monster Slayer. Models with that special rule can kill him with one to-wound roll of a natural 6 and you can only take Ward Saves against it. Very Dangerous! Luckily not that common.

3 Likes

Ah ha! Good ol’ Blackshard Armor; thank you for pointing that out.

I guess the key will be maybe shooting off and/or blocking any Monster Slayers to let my own winged terrors run rampant.

2 Likes

I mean thankfully it’s a rare skill and only a few models have it inbuilt (keep your distance from a Bretonnian Duke or a Necrospinx for example), but then again any character can have it with that magic weapon.

1 Like