Unreleased 2001 Tomb Guard with interesting headwear

Scrolling CCM I recently came across these guys from 2001 (link):

Unreleased_-_Tomb_King_Tomb_Guard_1

Unreleased_-_Tomb_King_Tomb_Guard_Horn_Blower

Almost looks like a late tribute to the big hats given that the headwear does not really resemble anything from Ancient Egypt. Perhaps remotely the crown of queen Nefertiti (although that belongs to the short Armana period that is stylistically quite different from other Egyptian art).

Suprisingly, CCM writes that they were not released due to their similarity with the undead in the 1999 film The Mummy.

Judging from this scene, I find this somewhat hard to believe. In the film, the guardians wear something resembling the crown of Lower Egypt. I would even argue that the updated Tomb Guard looks a lot closer to these guys if you disregard the headwear. Whatever the truth is, it is a bit strange that they finished a whole range of them before shelving them.

Unfortunately, I did not find any better information on the interwebs, for instance who the sculptor was. Would be interesting to hear the story behind them.

6 Likes

Excellent find! This was new to me. I like the released metal versions better, but these have charm, and their headgear look worthy of conquering for Hashutim causes.

Nice cobra standard!

3 Likes