Warhammer: The Old World

I think it makes sense because of the Cathay angle. I am now prepared to make a bold claim:

We are going to get hobgoblin khanate as a standalone faction through Forge World.

They, along with the ogres, will be the enemies of the Cathay range.

3 Likes

Edit: made this it’s own thread and then realised @Jasko has already posted here. Moved the “wild speculation” splinter thread to here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I move forward the notion that the only kits they need to release are as follows:

• Lava Trolls
  • Ice Trolls
  • new Chaos Trolls
  • Sourbreath/Hill Trolls
  • Grail Trolls
  • Trolls of the White Wolf
  • Moot Trolls
  • Hob Trolls
  • Giant Trolls
  • Vampire Trolls
  • Big Hat Trolls

Anything else released should be boycotted

5 Likes

forgot stone trolls

2 Likes

I’m personally very very happy reading this

2 Likes

So long as they’re Perry bros style (still love the new ones though)

The intense meta irony of my trolling comment about trolls was undone by your sheer love of trolls. Admirable countertrolling sir

4 Likes

To troll someone with the IQ of Troll would be a mighty feat sir, you may yet hoist me upon the jester’s stage

7 Likes

Let me elaborate further on my predictions.

Forge World is operated much more independently within GW than many think. That will be why they took this idea forward rather than having it be announced alongside AoS.

I still believe that Forge World will seek to rule-in dual use of plastic mainstream GW modern release kits. I think this will be especially true for Chaos factions.

I believe Forge World will release Azgorh style ranges for key factions.

I hope, as legacy WHFB plastics are steadily sunsetted, they will be moved to Forge World - but I’m not optimistic about this.

2 Likes

Im expecting a big kislev army, bear ridersand all. Hoping for common gobbos and obviously chaos dwarves. I also have a bit of a thing for trolls, all the metal ones. Probably could run 2 hordes nearly plus gigantic trolls. Really hoped for a troll for cds in blood bowl.

The thing i liked most was that the best bits from 3rd to 8th edition would be used(and scale staying the same…and orcs being called orcs and…). 3rd had so many cool things id dearly love to see, i started at 4th.

Someone needs to jump the gun and sculpt hob hounds :hob2:

4 Likes

I hope this means the “center” of the Old World game is going to shift from the Empire to Kislev and its neighbors. From what I see in the map, the new favored factions could be Kislev, the dwarfs from Karak Vlag, Chaos dwarfs, hobgoblins, Chaos tribes, ogres… A great way to go back to Warhammer and give it a new flavor. It is the Empire’s time to be the weird neighbor always at civil war that sends mercenaries from time to time.

5 Likes

Would be totally acceptable for golden hat…just sayin!

2 Likes

Some interesting additions to the Q&A

After mulling it all over for the past few hours I can confidently assume the upcoming Chaos Dwarf and Hobgoblin releases for AoS are being designed with cross-compatibility in mind for the Old World, I don’t think it was a mistake those Hobgrots fit so well on squares. I do however imagine we will see some Old World exclusive units and vice versa with AoS, the new soulblight zombie kit comes to mind while I think the mother of nightmares will remain in AoS.
Much to think about…

3 Likes

You’re in good company here brother!

2 Likes

Hey sexy!

(Too many beers in sun)

3 Likes

Interesting info @Troll-Knoll thank you

1 Like

Haha, You’ve caught my eye! (my large yellow eye!)

4 Likes

Fingers crossed, for sure! A Mongol style Hobgoblin khanate range would make sense, but the independence of Forgeworld also carries with it a bleak backside for fantasy fans:

A decade ago, the only reason we eventually got to see a new range of Warhammer Fantasy products from FW (including Legion of Azgorh) was that the mother company told them to do so unusually sharply. That had been preceded by many ignored requests to please do some more WHFB products over the years. The Forgeworld crew wanted to do Warhammer 40’000 and Horus Heresy. That’s their creative passion and secure cash cow. They wouldn’t have rolled out all fantasy goodies last decade without Games Workshop putting down the foot for once. Though I suspect the Chaos Dwarf range was well worthwhile to do, financially, even if it wasn’t 40k.

So unless attitudes and manpower has changed inside FW, we might well see them missing the opportunity to cover all manner of promising niche material for Old World.

Fingers crossed they don’t neglect fantasy this time around.

4 Likes

What interests me is the “no compromise with AoS” element. Going full square-base fundamentalist is significant.

It means AoS minis will convert poorly and it means you won’t get a circles-on-a-square grid like the one used in A Song of Ice and Fire minis battlegame, which was what I expected.

This sounds like a Forge World takeover to me because increasing sales of core GW ranges won’t work with it - even legacy kits that rank properly, like my beloved Hammerers, won’t be sold with square bases.

Some of the guys working at Forge World will be planning to make their careers on the old world. They’ll likely be the same people deputised to work with Creative Assembly. Given that, I don’t think it will go the way you’re worried about - I think the astronomical prices will be the things to watch out for.

6 Likes

Very strange thought, what if the Hobgrots are going to be Old World’s Big Un’s? reserving hunchbacks for the rest of the Khanate