[WFB 8th] Tamurkhan "Legion of Azgorh" army lists

In this thread you can post and discuss army lists for Warhammer Fantasy 8th edition using the Legion of Azgorh army list in the Forgeworld book Tamurkhan: Throne of Chaos.
(This is a wiki post, so we can have a common table of contents in this first post.)

Jasko’s army lists

3 Likes

++ Legion of Azgorh: Flying Sorcerer [2,500pts] ++

+ Lords +

Sorcerer-Prophet [615pts]: Blackshard Armour, Channeling Staff, Dragonhelm, General, Lore of Hashut, Talisman of Preservation, The Blood of Hashut, Wizard Level 4
. Lammasu: Lore of Shadows, Sorcerous Exhalation, Wizard Level 1

+ Heroes +

Daemonsmith Sorcerer [165pts]: Blackshard Armour, Charmed Shield, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Metal, Pistol, Wizard Level 2

Infernal Castellan [205pts]: Battle Standard Bearer, Black Hammer of Hashut, Blackshard Armour, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Speed, Talisman of Endurance

+ Core +

Infernal Guard [323pts]: 23x Infernal Guard
. Musician
. Overseer
. Standard Bearer: Standard of Discipline

Infernal Guard [377pts]
. 20x Infernal Guard: 20x Fireglaives
. Musician
. Overseer: Naphtha Bombs
. Standard Bearer

+ Special +

Bull Centaur Renders [310pts]
. Bull Centaur Ba’hal
. 6x Bull Centaur Render: 6x Shields
. Musician
. Standard Bearer: Banner of Swiftness

Iron Daemon [310pts]: Hellbound
. Iron Daemon: Steam Cannonade

Magma Cannon [195pts]: Hellbound, Steam Carriage

++ Total: [2,500pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

This was the first army list I built. I don’t like to use proxies so am kind of limited by the models I actually have. I started with the Sorcerer-Prophet on Lammasu, it was the first model I ever built and just has so much style, I had to include it. Putting your Sorcerer-Prophet on a monster is risky, yes, but me and my regular opponent actually play with modified Line-of-Sight rules (like they were in the good old days), where terrain actually completely blocks LoS if it is big enough and you can only see 2" through a forest. No cannon balls flying through a forest on our gaming table! This means I can actually keep him protected for a while. I gave him the Dragonhelm and Talisman of Preservation for protection, the Blood of Hashut if he is forced to get into close combat (lots of AS1+ models in almost all the armies my opponent plays) and a channeling staff to get more dice. The Lammasu gets sorcerous exhalation and Lore of Shadow obviously.
Daemonsmith with Dispel Scroll is mandatory for me, and I just love Lore of Metal. It’s equally good against low armour enemies, and I am actually hoping for Enchanted Blades of Alban, it’s just what you need to increase the damage output of Bull Centaurs. His main roll is staying back with the Magma Cannon though.
The Infernal Castellan as BSB is the other mandatory choice for me. He is kitted out to both take some punches as well as dishing out hurt. Extra points if I can manage to cast Ashstorm on anything with my Sorcerer-Prophet (ideally something huge like a Treeman or Steam Tank or Daemon Prince), drink the potion of speed with my Castellan and kill it with one wound by the Black Hammer of Hashut. Such a great combo.
Core is straight forward, big unit of Infernal Guard with Shields and supporting unit with Fireglaives. Nothing special here. Standard of Discipline is good on the Infernal Guard with Shields, since my Sorcerer-Prophet might be busy elsewhere. The Naphtha Bombs on the Champion of the Fireglaives is quite a nasty trick for stand and shoot, where the distance for the charge reaction attack is calculated on the maximum distance of the weapon used with the shortest range. So say the charging unit is 12" away. Normally that would be stand and shoot on long range, so hitting only on 6+. But if you use the Naphtha Bombs with your Champion instead of his Fireglaive, stand and shoot is now done at 6", the maximum range of the Naphtha Bombs, and so nicely within short range of the Fireglaives, so hitting on 5+. Very important 5pts.
For special units I first went with Bull Centaur Renders. The models are gorgeous and the unit just screams Chaos Dwarf. I had to include them. I went with Shields, which means they are not super powerful in close combat (enter Enchanted Blades of Alban) but they are arguably the toughest monstrous unit in the whole game now.
The other choices are an Iron Daemon and a Magma Cannon. The Iron Daemon especially oozes style and is also very powerful in the game. Always make it hellhound! The Magma Cannon can start buying stuff from the first turn on and doesn’t care about cover or anything.
So yeah, that’s the army. I have a very expensive Lord I need to protect and not many units on the table. It’s definitely not a WAAC build, but it has some tricks up its sleeve.

2 Likes

++ Legion of Azgorh: Taur’ruk [2,500pts] ++

+ Lords +

Sorcerer-Prophet [370pts]: Blackshard Armour, Channeling Staff, Dragonhelm, General, Lore of Hashut, Talisman of Preservation, Wizard Level 4

+ Heroes +

Bull Centaur Taur’ruk [225pts]: Blackshard Armour, Dawnstone, Potion of Foolhardiness, Shield, Sword of Might

Daemonsmith Sorcerer [165pts]: Blackshard Armour, Charmed Shield, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Metal, Pistol, Wizard Level 2

Infernal Castellan [205pts]: Battle Standard Bearer, Black Hammer of Hashut (Chaos Dwarfs only), Blackshard Armour, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Speed, Talisman of Endurance

+ Core +

Infernal Guard [368pts]: 28x Infernal Guard, Musician, Overseer, Standard Bearer

Infernal Guard [377pts]
. Musician
. Standard Bearer

+ Special +

Bull Centaur Renders [310pts]
. Bull Centaur Ba’hal
. 6x Bull Centaur Render: 6x Shields
. Musician
. Standard Bearer: Banner of Swiftness

Iron Daemon [310pts]: Hellbound
. Iron Daemon: Steam Cannonade

Magma Cannon [170pts]: Steam Carriage

A modified version of the Flying-Sorcerer list, kitted out Bull Centaur Taur’ruk instead of the Lammasu. This guy has a re-rollable AS1+ now and hits with S6 in close combat, giving the unit of Bull Centaur Renders the punch they’re otherwise are lacking. The rest is more or less unchanged.

2 Likes

++ Legion of Azgorh: Born in Flames [2,500pts] ++

+ Lords +

Sorcerer-Prophet [390pts]: Blackshard Armour, Dragonhelm, General, Lore of Hashut, Staff of Sorcery, Talisman of Preservation, Wizard Level 4

+ Heroes +

Daemonsmith Sorcerer [165pts]: Blackshard Armour, Charmed Shield, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Fire, Pistol, Wizard Level 2

Infernal Castellan [175pts]: Battle Standard Bearer, Black Hammer of Hashut, Blackshard Armour, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Speed

+ Core +

Infernal Guard [488pts]: 38x Infernal Guard, Musician, Overseer, Standard Bearer

Infernal Guard [377pts]
. Musician
. Standard Bearer

+ Special +

K’Daai Fireborn [340pts]: 6x K’Daai Fireborn, K’Daai Manburner

+ Rare +

Dreadquake Mortar [240pts]: Slave Ogre, Steam Carriage

K’Daai Destroyer [325pts]

The main motivation here was using units I haven’t used in the other army list :slight_smile: That meant Fireborn instead of Bull Centaurs and definitely the Dreadquake Mortar. The main problem with the Fireborn is that they need to get into combat as quickly as possible, while other parts of the army would like to stay back and shoot. An Iron Daemon would also have been a good fit here, but I wanted to take the Dreadquake and it’s actually not too bad, with the long range and indirect fire it can nicely support an advance, and with the Quake rule you can make sure to tie down critical units you need out of the way. The K’Daai Destroyer is a natural fit here as well. For the core I went with a large horde of Infernal Guard, again the main reason was because I have this nice, big unit and want to field it :slight_smile: But it will also make a great anvil where the opponent will have to break on. I will use K’Daai on the flanks and either my opponent engages the K’Daai or the large Infernal Guard horde, his choice.

What would your tactics be with this army? I might give it a go soon

Oh nice!

So with this army I’d probably advance steadily on the enemy. The Sorcerer-Prophet and the BSB go in the large Infernal Guard unit, set up as a 3x10 horde. That is almost a 1000pts in one unit with the General and Level 4 mage, so your opponent has to come for it. The Bull Centaurs go on a flank. The Taur’ruk helps, but they still have a weakness with large infantry units where they just don’t do enough damage. They won’t die either, but you cannot risk them getting pinned down. The Fireglaives go on the other flank. They can fire while on the move, but they don’t hit very well, but your opponent will soon be coming for your big unit. The Iron Daemon is very effective in shooting even tough units while moving forward, and gives you the opportunity to either support the Centaurs in a particularly tough unit or protect your Infernal Guard. The Magma Cannon has 24" range and can support any step of the way. The Daemonsmith stays back with it obviously. I gave him Lore of Metal because I really like the lore, Searing Doom has 24" range and often comes in handy, but what I am really hoping for is Enchantes Blades of Aiban. Suddenly those Bull Centaurs are a lot more dangerous. Lore of Fire with Fireball and Flaming Sword of Rhuin would also work.

So, I am still playing around with an alternative build which would have the Dreadquake Mortar instead of the Magma Cannon, which would require freeing up 45pts somewhere. The Dreadquake really shines in shutting down critical units when you need it, which would come in handy in controlling which units can engage at which point. It’s also better at dealing with enemy war machines which pose a risk to the Infernal Guard.

1 Like

Hey folks! Here’s my first try at the legion of azghor ruleset for 8th edition

Legion of Azgorh: big hats [1,500pts]

Lords

Sorcerer-Prophet [345pts]: Blackshard Armour, General, Lore of Hashut, Talisman of Preservation, Wizard Level 4

Hero

Infernal Castellan [142pts]: Blackshard Armour, Shield, Great weapon, Talisman of Endurance

Core

Infernal Guard [302pts]: 18x Infernal Guard, Musician, Overseer, Standard Bearer, Great weapons

Infernal Guard [270pts]
. 14x Infernal Guard with blunderbusses

Special

Bull Centaur Renders [145pts]
. Bull Centaur Ba’hal
. 3x Bull Centaur Render with Shields and a Ba’hal

• Rare +

Hobgoblin wolf riders [99pts]
6 Hobgoblin wolf riders with boss, Musician and bows

Dreadquake mortar [195pts]

Total: [1,498pts]

So there’s no real strategy as the army will face almost all armies of 8th edition. The force will be cut in 3 parts : the great weapon units, being supported with the castellan, will attack as the blunderbusses will defend either objectives or the dreadquake alongside the prophet sticking with the dreadquake. Meanwhile, hobgobs will hunt down characters and artillery while covering the 3 bullcentaurs.

I already own 15 GW chorfs, 11 blunderbusses, 3 bullcentaurs and the 6 hobogbs, so those units will have to be somewhere. For the rest, I’m waiting on your comments to know if I should get either a dreadquake or something else (I’m going to either get the old big hat cannon or rocket launcher). Same goes for the number of GW or blunderbusses, I can inflate or stick with 15 GW and 12 BB depending on your comments.

Cheers!

2 Likes