Woodworking Fun

Lovely lamp there @Reaver ! Top work on it.

Paint Your Tools

Being something of a handyman that people often turn to for help with simple manual labour, you could confidently classify me as a tool user. A colleague would rather have it as a slave, which is reasonable since I mostly work for free, all things considered. My hands will be active at tools, writing on keyboard or turning pages in a book most of my waking time.

Why not bring some joyful colour into the toolkit you’re going to use so much?

Even if your life will be filled with mass produced factory wares, you can still put a personal touch on some long-lasting things in your surroundings, as our ancestors have done since time immemorial. Crafting patterns and ornamenting things has a therapeutic quality to it, for good reason. Minimalist modern man is a pauper in regard to decorating his own stuff, compared to his forebears, though there are still places where people dare to pimp their rides, as evidenced by South Asian jingle trucks and Japanese dekotora trucks.

The idea to paint tool shafts was born after viewing through AMELIANVS’ late antique and medieval Roman artworks. This artist brings a great deal of lively period detail into garb and gear. Striped spear shafts appear on the famous mosaic of emperor Justinian, and provides a simple idea for upgrading the looks of common tools.

The means were provided after I was gifted left-over facade paints of various kinds, which were put to use first on homemade lightsabers and wooden toy weapons, and then on the tool shafts. Plastic and metal shafts have been spray painted.The recent set of tools painted this week were given a matt varnish spray as an experiment in endurance.

Yes, paint will fade, wear out, flake off, rust through and get dirty when you use the tools. That’s part of the charm and lifecycle. Viking runestones and classical Greek, Roman, Egyptian and Assyrian statues were also painted, yet all that remains now is the carved stone, seemingly eternal. As grey as an unpainted miniature collection.

I can recommend painting your tools in your favourite colour and colour combinations. I painted those I am going to use red and blue, the colours of Karak Norn, which are my Warhammer army colours and incidentally also the Carolean regimental colours of my landscape province.

10 Likes

I have to admit my mind went to a very different pubescent place when i started reading this post…

That said, i love decorating or restoring old tools i inherited from my father. He had tools that belonged to my grandfather, who had tools that belonged to his father. No idea how to use some, no use for many others as i have more precise or powered modern versions… but cant bring myself to get rid of them.

3 Likes

Perhaps use them as well decorations? Arrange them in some aesthetic way such as crossed tools or fans of tools? Build a throne of tools out of them?

2 Likes

That’s an impressive assortment of brooms.

1 Like

It’s all the brooms in our apartment house. They are spread out everywhere down in the cellar and outside the entrance doors.

3 Likes

Casually building some top shelfs for my desk from spare scraps so that one year later (after moving into the new house) I can start organising and use my hobby space. ^^

7 Likes

Aaand time to break in the new hobby corner with shelfs in place on top of the desk. Fits quite nicely if you ask me (had to blur what I’m working on though, 'cause it’s for the GH). :smile:

8 Likes

Probably hard to tell which of these holiday crafts were my creations. I’ll leave it a mystery.

14 Likes

Hahahahahaha, excellent! :joy:

'Tis the season

3 Likes

So good!

3 Likes

That’s ingenious!

…a new trend might have been launched.

@denelian5 : Nice work on the hobby corner!

3 Likes

I’ve made a few things over the years. Barn doors for the workshop at the back of the garage.

Cabinet for a retro arcade running off a Raspberry Pi - My wife wasn’t keen on it living in the kitchen for a few days after it was made :wink:

A loft for the playroom for the kids.

This one sounds lame, but it has been amazing - an angled spice rack for the drawer so the bottles (and labels) are slightly angled forward and the tops of the bottles are easy to grab as they’re not at the same height as the bottoms of the back row.

I’ve also wanted my own TARDIS since I was a kid. Made first one for a friend’s 45th birthday in 2018. I assembled it in his living room while he was in another part of his house, wore my 4th Doctor scarf and popped out as the materialization sound played on a hidden speaker. Then handed out jelly babies.

Finally built one for myself this past year.

Lots more, but I rarely take pics. Took several hours to find these, which span ~6-7 years.
~N

12 Likes

Wow, impressive! :astonished:

Oh please, I’d love to see more takes on this quick idea. Bringing in the holiday cheer with ash, soot, and daemon fire.

1 Like

All of this is so impressive I don’t been know where to start

:clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

3 Likes

I don’t do a lot of woodworking and when i do its usually either very rough structurally fine but not pretty, or kitchen tool handles…

Refinished my 20yo kitchen knife my parents gave me when i started culinary school (and a 1yo cheese knife that had a cheap bamboo handle that had split)

The wood is reclaimed oak from an old little stool seat, stained with acryllic burnt umber ink and varnish. The pins are brass

Nothing fancy

9 Likes

Missed opportunity to convert these weapons into polearms. but really nice work!

1 Like

Unfortunately im not nearly as proficient with polearms as i am with kitchen knifes.

3 Likes

i just remembered now this awesome piece you made!
will you be able to craft an hurdy gurdy? XD my mind is thinking to getting one at some point hauhuahuahua

1 Like

Well… I already made one, after an old swedish instrument. But I haven’t gotten strings on it yet… :sweat_smile:

5 Likes