28mm Brazen Bastards, A Community Sculpting Initiative [Antenor Strikes Back: Nov 23 2023]

T. Furius Sinister, Corrector of the North
Work in Progress (image heavy)

I’m a simple sculptor. I like a historical setting, I turn it into an evil dwarf.

Late antiquity is among my favourites and, in my opinion, woefully underrepresented in popular culture (one laudable exception being Attila TW). Recently, I got drawn into that period again while reading the Twilight of Empire series by Ian Ross. So, when summer came – and with it some leisure to produce a Brazen Bastard – I decided that he would have to be made in Late Roman style.

His outfit includes some typical elements of the period: A sleeved tunic, breeches with socks included, open shoes, and maybe the most prominent features of a Late Roman soldier: the military cloak (sagum) and pillbox hat (pileus Pannonicus). The three layers of pteruges over his right arm are something I personally associate strongly with the period; the same goes for the scale corselet, which was among the many types of Late Roman body armour and fits in nicely with classic fantasy imagery.

While I used many modern artworks and reenactment pictures for reference, the most important inspiration was of course the famous Portrait of the Tetrarchs, as can be recognised in the dwarf’s pose (or so I hope at least). This is also where the idea of an eagle-headed sword hilt originated.

“Corrector” was in fact a kind of late imperial governor’s title, and I thought that for modern ears there’s a suitably menacing ring to it. “North” because that’s where there typically are barbarians to guard borders against - both from a Roman perspective and in a lot of fantasy settings. :smile:

Here are some WIP pictures:

10 Likes