28mm early imperial Romans

I can’t imagine how monotonous that must have been. Taking a step back and being able to see what they look like must be amazing! they look super cool!

2 Likes

@KhamdrimSkyMaster yeah it’s hard work haha. However the shield is the most important bit. Get the shields right and you can be lazy with the soldiers haha

2 Likes

They tend to draw the eye if good. Kinda like an amazing detail that pulls away from a poorly drawn face cough cough, my entire Emp Child army

2 Likes

In this case it’s more along the line of 90% of the mini is hidden behind its shield anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Definitely haha

A post was merged into an existing topic: Curved Roman Scutum - 3rd Century CE

My Romans went head to head against tomb kings last night. A close fought affair. In the end - a loss.

Highlights: The veteran imaginifer lead a suicidal charge into a necrosphinx, killing it but also destroying himself and ten legionaries in the process! The lich riding atop survived however. The tribunes unit murdered a giant carrion beast with pila alone but we’re later routed when a chariot smashed into their ranks. The scorpion crew managed to fend off flying attacks from another carrion bird for 4 turns! The skeletons overwhelmed us and all fled, save the brave scorpion crew who never abandoned their post!

12 Likes

Romans VS Tomb Kings is something I didn’t know I wanted. So flipping cool! Did you say this was Kings of War?

3 Likes

@rollforwounds
This was played using a little known system, that I’m evangelically obsessed with, called Warlords of Erehwon (WoE)

More info here:

You’ll also find me and my mates free Warhammer armies army lists here:

3 Likes

Looks epic!

2 Likes

Okay, I’m sold, as it’s made by one me heroes, Rick, and uses D10. Also I have heard good things about the system it uses as base.

Where can one purhace it and how many souls of unborn it does cost?

3 Likes

Warlord games my friend :slight_smile:

1 Like

Auxiliary cavalry with spears added!

14 Likes

I like your Romans, they are great painted too

2 Likes

In my mission to battle the grey I dug out 30 more troops. Bought these to be auxilla but with the right shields they’ll be legionaries. (Mail was definitely used by legionaries even if we think of Lorica Segmentata when we think of them)

The minis are cool and I’ve printed suitable shields for them. I didn’t have enough pila to go around so some have been given torches instead. Bit cinematic - should be fun to paint.

Now these guys have cloaks. The question I’m currently pondering is how to paint these cloaks. Two main depictions I’ve seen are brown:

Which I imagine is more practical and probably realistic.

Or good old Martian red:

Which is definitely more Hollywood but does just scream “Roman”.

On the fence about this one.

@chitzkoi , @Antenor @Admiral and any other antiquity interested parties: what do you reckon? Open to ideas and suggestions on this one.

9 Likes

I’m not aware of any ‘standard issue’ capes but I’m also no expert on EIRs, so please correct me if I’m wrong. I like the more gritty look of earth tones (in the end this cape was meant for protecting against bad weather and perhaps for scouting) but if you prefer the ‘Hollywood red’, absolutely go for it. Since we don’t even know if legionaries exclusively wore red tunics (ignoring Vegetius here), I think either colour is fine - although I presume that the tunics were a lot more bleached out from long campaigns than Hollywood films portray.

3 Likes

Why not do a mixture of the two? Washed out red cloaks covered at the bottoms in mud

2 Likes

Yeah the problem is is that any historical artefacts of that nature just haven’t lasted the millennia to be properly seen. And standard issue just wasn’t a thing like we understand it today. Like they were probably some of the most standardised soldiers in Europe at the time but it wasn’t like factory made uniforms or anything like that.

My reading suggests raw cloth and simple colours are definitely more likely to be the realistic choice.

Dyed cloth would be pricier and even prohibitively expensive depending on colour and agreed - this is supposed to be something to protect you from weather and dirt, not something to look pretty in.

If I go brown cloaks, I’ll make sure the shields are suitably red to still give that classic Roman “feel”

1 Like

Where are your boys serving?

Your legionaries thus far definitely have a lot of splendor to them in my opinion.

So in my opinion, you have two options.

Make them more rugged, chainmail frontiersmen with a visually distinctive look from the others, more weathered and dirty. In which case the brown rugged cloth is best.

Or spiff them up so they look like they’ve had the benefit that your other brighter units have, with nice ref capes.

1 Like

Perhaps give the rank and file the natural fabric and reserve the more expensive red cloaks for the officers? I have no idea whether there’s any historical basis for it but it seems like the sort of thing you might splash out on if you have a higher salary.

I suppose there might be concerns about the enemy easily picking out the officers, but they wear those enormous bloody crested helmets I think so maybe they weren’t that bothered.

2 Likes