Antenor's Akhayan Warband

This is a little project I’ve started alongside my CD army. In short, it’s to be a Kingdoms of Men warband for Vanguard, built around a fantasy take on the Aegaean bronze age, set in Pannithor. Going has been slow so far, but I’ve finally found the time to prepare a bunch of miniatures some days ago, and when those are painted up, this lot is going to be playable. I’ll keep adding photos as I progress. The minis are from Wargames Foundry and Redoubt, except the Centaur, whose body is a kitbash from GW marauder bits with the armour sculpted onto it.

Hope you enjoy!

Ship Companions (Foot Soldiers)

3 Likes

Armoured Centaur (Knight)

7 Likes

They are really nice. A phalanx of those pikes/sarissa will look great

2 Likes

Slowly making some progress here!

Here are two Heroes (could be played as Foot Guard or Veteran Soldier):

This one is going to be the Leader. Because seniority!

More to come in a few days, I hope. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Great work, fitting basing and neat palette. Keep it up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I‘m admittedly lazy when it comes to basing, and as such I generally use Citadel‘s texture paints (in this case Armageddon Dust). But I think it does bring across the “dusty plain“ vibe I intended :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think the base works well.
You did some building up base work on it first though didn’t you

2 Likes

Well, only in the most minimalistic way. These minis came fixed on small metal bases of varying height, so when I put them onto the actual 20mm base, it produced the effect of a a slight elevation - giving the terrain a more interesting look with no extra work for me! :slightly_smiling_face: I only applied some putty round the metal bases’ edges to smoothen the transition.

Hobby time is unfortunately rather scarce right now, and my tendency towards jumping between projects doesn‘t exactly help, I know. But I am about halfway through painting the priestess for this warband. And… look at what I found in the mail! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I didn’t realize they were big uns.
That is what I meant, therte was a bit more texture there than just the paint.
I’ve done a lot of the same but using layers of PVA glue and sand to build up around the metal

1 Like

Oh, it’s just that last one that’s big. The rest are 28mm human size. Sorry, I should’ve put him next to one of the others. He’s going to fill the “Ogre” slot in the Kingdoms of Men roster (but for purposes of headcanon, I think I’ll call him a Laestrygon :smiley:).

2 Likes

Oh wow, these are fantastic. Over indeed that guy is huge, perfect got for the warband

1 Like

Finally, the Priestess is done!

Some reference pictures:

The sculpt itself (from Redoubt) is supposed to be Helen, so basically it represents an upper-class Mycenaean woman. To make her look more “magical”, I took inspiration from the contemporary artistic convention of painting women with snow-white skin and interpreted it as a kind of ritualistic body-paint (an idea that I had already seen realised in modern artwork). Also, I made an attempt at psyker-style glowing eyes. I wanted her to look powerful and, as it were, terrifying, in the way that some Greek myths are terrifying. In that, at least, I think I succeeded. She does look like the kind of woman who will sacrifice every stranger who lands on the local shore. :smile:

Well, I’m no great painter. Turns out I’m particularly bad at painting white (or, more specifically, at dealing with the consistency of White Scar). But I can say that this miniature was an honest effort. I really wanted to try and do something more for it than my usual assembly-line paintjob.

While we’re at it, here’s a pic of the whole merry band thus far! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes