Antenor's Evil Dwarves [2024-01-31]

Long time no post, so here’s what I’ve been up to so far this year!

I’ve often thought that the general style and feel of 5th edition CDs might work nicely in conjunction with Napoleonic aesthetics, and I’ve already done some experimenting in that direction with my Marine and my converted Naval Officer. After all, looking at the uniforms of the era, one might get the feeling that it was all a competition of “Who’s got the fanciest big hat?”, with soldiers going into battle wearing shakos, czapkas, bearskins, and all sorts of unlikely military headgear, and not infrequently with skulls on them, too! Flipping through a Flintloque rulebook provided the final straw to send me over this particular precipice (a little bit about that system in this thread), so I decided to try and make some Napoleonic-inspired evil stunties of my own. Here’s the first one!

At the start, I wanted this miniature to be a standard blunderbuss-armed infantryman (a “Trombloneer” would have been my name for it :smile:). But the frame of his body came out a bit too massive for what I would consider a standard dwarf, so I changed plans and turned him into a special trooper wielding a hand mortar, which I wanted to do at some point anyway. Thus, his stature also conforms to the historical practice of picking particularly tall and strong men for service as grenadiers, who were of course the main inspiration for this guy.

The costume is not fashioned after any single historical uniform, but rather a mix-and-match of elements from different sources. The plate pauldron is meant serve as an aesthetic link to medieval fantasy, and also provides an open space for creative use, much like a blank shield.

Any thoughts and feedback would be most welcome!

Cheers

9 Likes