Antenor's Flintloque Adventures

I’ve been chipping away at some Flintloque miniatures over the past week. They belong here, so please pardon the act of threadomancy. :smile:

The Dogman Empire of Ostaria is the Flintloque universe’s equivalent to Austria, so I thought it might be fitting to use them as enemies for my evil Stoutgartian dwarves. In the end, I decided for a unit of Ostarian Jägers, as they fit the setting of a skirmish perfectly. Their “official” uniforms would be green, but I kept it a bit closer to their historical inspiration and made them grey with green badges.

Flintloque, as I understand it, is essentially about fun narrative play, so I scribbled together a bit of background to go with the models. It ties in with the short piece I’ve written for my dwarves and their dastardly chief Diddik, so if you’re interested, I suggest that you give that one a read first. :hatoff: Thanks for taking a look!

Captain Hasso von Flosterwitz

Not too lang ago, Captain Hasso von Flosterwitz had been the rising star of the Jägers’ officer corps. With the Ostarian military being what it is, the fact that Hasso was young, handsome, and of noble descent – in fact, the Flosterwitz family claims distant kinship to the Yapsburgs themselves – had of course helped his career along to a considerable extent; yet even his most bitter rivals were forced to admit Hasso’s extraordinary skill with the rifle. Having achieved a series of remarkable early successes on the battlefield as well as in the ballrooms and salons of Venna, the dashing Jäger seemed to be heading down the straightest possible road to glory, promotion, and several litters of illegitimate offspring, until the fateful day he was wounded in an insignificant border skirmish and taken prisoner by the dwarven slavers of Stoutgart.

Along with a number of other unfortunate dogmen, Hasso was patched up hurriedly by his captors, taken to their capital, and sold off to a third-rate brewery on the outskirts of that wretched city. Nobody has yet succeeded in persuading him give a detailed account of what he has suffered in the long months he spent toiling away in that hellish place. The only thing that is generally accepted as certain is that eventually, having gathered about him the most courageous or desperate of his fellow slaves, Hasso instigated a bloody revolt. Many dogmen died in the fighting, but so did many of the wicked dwarves, and under Hasso’s leadership a handful of prisoners made good their escape, leaving the brewery burning behind them and vanishing into the dark woods, the acrid reek of boiling discount beer agonisingly lingering in their snouts for days as they made their clandestine and fearful way home to Ostaria.

Hasso rejoined the Jägers as soon as his physical frame had recovered from his ill-treatment at the hands of the Stoutgartians, but he is no longer interested in frequenting ballrooms or salons. Together with a trusted company of hand-picked Jägers, he has taken to volunteering for every operation on Stoutgartian territory that might require stealth, marksmanship, and ruthlessness, always hoping to find revenge. He will never forget what those miserable creatures have done to him and so many others of his kin. He will never forget the boiling heat, the biting stench, the hateful sneers, the rolled-up newspapers. And he will never forget the face nor the name of that accursed brewery’s cruel master – Diddik von Biern.

I fear I’ve let this side project fall by the wayside - these guys have been standing in a shelf with a basecoat on for months. The old problem with me getting wrapped up in a new idea and forgetting the stuff I should be finishing instead. :sweat_smile: But with these four Dogmen and the dwarves from the last post, it is actually already possible to have a small game of Flintloque, which is what I would like to do one of these days!

5 Likes