Anyone with experience with Pixels dice?

In March 2021 there was a Kickstarter campaign for Pixels dice. These are battery-powered, bluetooth enabled, electronic dice. I understand a number of folks had prototype dice send out along with dev kits for building scripts and things to interact with the dice and allow people to sample what would be possible with apps and things.

This is a long shot, but is there anyone on the forum here with any experience using these?? Rolling several D6’s it’s possible to have the rolled result tracked in an app, either on a phone or computer. I’m particularly interested in this for my diorama cabinet, but I’m wondering how many separate dice can be tracked simultaneously. For example, if we even have 3 D6 dice at the table, each with a different colour (or if the dice are the same colour they could be differentiated with the LED colours) I’m wondering if the software has the capability to know that it’s a particular D6 that has been rolled? If I pick up the D6 that we’ve designated for rolling for Power (and determining if an Unexpected Event has occurred) in Warhammer Quest, can the server be setup to know to apply a particular algorithm to just this die result - or if I pick up two other dice used for rolling on a D66 table would the software be sophisticated enough to realize that both dice have been rolled at the same time and run a different algorithm?

The goal here for me would be to minimize my interaction with the game master interface and return focus to the table, and by having specific dice designated for in-game mechanics this idea of having the server know what we’re doing at the table via the roll of particular dice seems like it would capture the spirit of what I’ve been going for.

Anyone who may have info please let me know what you think!
~N

P.S. Seems like it would also be handy just to leave a script running that records every single die roll result into a running .csv file (per die) so that one could run stats on the history of roll results for each die after a couple of months to see which are the best rollers :wink:

Seems like they’d have a pretty limited life span. I hope they have a proper BMS in place to manage charge and diacharge ratios. Without an on/of switch they will always be on, maybe in standby, but still on. That would mean they will slowly discharge after use and need recharging before every use? That also means the battery will not last super, few years tops.

Just some assumptions though

I stand corrected on the staying on part, they have a magnet that turns them off. Now, it remains to see if its an actual disconnect from the battery, or just a hall sensor disabling BT and leds if its the latter itnwill still discharge over time.

1 Like