[Archive] [05-21-2008] Xander's and Vexxus's Chaos Dwarf Army!

Xander:

So here is the start of my completely painted stuff. I have been slow in getting things done this summer with my job and everything else. I have a bit of time set aside now to hopefully get some more things done. As evidence I have spent tonight taking some pictures and prepping the images in Photoshop.

Like I have said before, my basing scheme was chosen to match the GW standard so as to legitimize the look and feel of my army with the current edition of Warhammer. A while back you may remember I mentioned that I was working on my own gaming board, the pics I took where on this board. The lighting isn’t great in that room, so the images are darker than my normal fare.

Lord on Great Taurus:

I am still not happy with this rider. I may make a new one to mount on the back part instead of the neck. The paint job is decent, however. Most of you have seen this guy before and there are more pictures elsewhere.

Chaos Dwarf Warriors:

These guys are more or less done, but not exactly finished. They need some more coats on their bases, and the red needs a highlight. Additionally I need to fix up the banner and do something nice with it.

Earthshaker Cannon:

Made using my Siegeshaker Conversion Kit I used to distribute, this model, I like. Again, there are more pictures of this machine posted elsewhere.

Army Shots:

Looking good so far. Falling in line with my vision for my army.

Gaming Table:

Not bad for my first crack at a decent board. Like I said, the terrain is made to match the current Warhammer standard.

Whew. Finally uploaded some pictures of the Warriors. Sorry for the low-light. Comments welcome!

Cheers,
-Xander

UPDATES:
[05-21-2008]

wallacer:

Your army is simultaneously inspirational and depressing.

This must be how women feel when they look at supermodels.

Dracomancer:

Nice, but can we see a picture of the orcs, no sense in leaving the greenskins out after all. :wink:

I like the board as well, good job :cheers

EDIT: btw, are you still selling seigeshaker kits?

clam:

I have been slow in getting things done this summer with my job and everything else.�

Xander
Running a Community, 3 video guides, almost 1500 post here at CDO - and now this:hat off Yes! I can see what you mean - You have really been taking things slow:D

They are awesome. I love your BfSP warriors. Your work has inspired us all - and now! let it be a productive autumn. I'm looking forward to see some painted Hobbos.

Xander:

I am also converting an Imperial Guard Deathstrike Missile Launcher for no reason. I have had the parts to make it for a long while, but with Apocalypse on the horizon I figure I can make it and sell it off. I need to get it out of my system as it is a conversion I have wanted to make since I bought the parts many years ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

This week should be productive. :slight_smile:

the trooper:

all hail xander the true chaos dwarf king,the lord,the hero and even hashuts champion.

You rock dude,why i cant be just like you.

I want your army.:o

Ingrown:

Looking really good mate, the Siegeshaker fits in really well and the Taurus looks amazing, my only problem is its rider cos you can do so much better. when i (skim) read the Deathstrike missile thread for the first time and watched the video i thought you were making some huge Chaos dwarf death rocket:o, then i actually read it properly and was fairly disappointed. Good stuff tho man, keep it up

torn:

just curious how big is your gaming board? the base of it is cool.

id suggest edging the actual board though, just neaten the whole thing up.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Awesome. Glad to see it all together. Also gald that you’re still thinking about how best to change the Taurus Lord :smiley: The board game out really well. Can’t wait to see the rest when you find time to do it. Kudos!

Kyte:

Well the first thing to say is: AT LAST!

I’m really liking the whole look of your army, but I’m not keen on the taurus rider. It looks to me like one of those “they’re awesome while you do them, but afterwards they’re not that good.” conversions.

Otherwise nice army.

Thanks

- Kyte

Xander:

Ya, I haven’t painted the edge yet, hehe. ^^;

The gaming board is a 4’x4’ piece of particle board. Using regular white glue, watered down a bit, I coated the table in beach sand. This took several applications, as I did it a section at a time, each time shaking off the excess onto newspaper on the floor. Once done, I applied some Elmer’s Spray Glue to the surface, to lock in the sand a bit. When that was nice and dry, I painted the board black with cheap dollar store acrylic paint. Took a couple bucks worth. Next I coated it in a dark brown, then dry brushed a lighter brown, then another even lighter brown. You can see the paints I used in the right on the pictures. Using the spray glue, I applied some train-shop variety grass in patches. I also used GW’s static grass in various places to give the grass a more varied look. Applying spray glue over the grass also darkened the colour, so I purposely added some more dimension to the grass. All in all, it came out pretty well.

Thanks for the comments.

As for the Lord, I knew I didn’t like him when I made him. :confused: But I was rushed for time and had to finish it to appease the Black Shirt. I will be making a way better Lord for that dude.

Traitor King:

Wooo, finally!

Its great to be able to see all your awsomeness in one place.

I agree with Draco, can we have another shot of the Orcs?

On another note, where did you get so many of the maurader capes from?

Cracking job with the gaming board!

Cant wait for you next update (and what wings did you use on the taurus? I forget…)

TK

Xander:

I didn’t even paint those Orcs, I just wanted them there for show.

The wings are from the old Cockatrice, and I think the old Manticore as well.

I had an uneven mix of marauder sprues that I bought at a GW auction before Marauders were even released yet.

Thanks guys!

Canix:

Nice warriors ,that makes the videos gold cant wait to see your bfsp hobbos painted

Traitor King:

Ah, my bad, I assumed they were your orcs due to the similar basing.

Methinks that when a few more models get apinted, somebodys going to deserve a gallery on the site :slight_smile:

Xander:

Ya, those Orcs were given to me, they had similar basing, but they had the old Green Trim standard. I modified them to look more like mine. For my Orc unit though I am making a unit of slaves bound in chains and such.

hal:

Nice table, is it 4’x4’?

Xander:

Nice table, is it 4'x4'?

hal
The gaming board is a 4'x4' piece of particle board. Using regular white glue, watered down a bit, I coated the table in beach sand. This took several applications, as I did it a section at a time, each time shaking off the excess onto newspaper on the floor. Once done, I applied some Elmer's Spray Glue to the surface, to lock in the sand a bit. When that was nice and dry, I painted the board black with cheap dollar store acrylic paint. Took a couple bucks worth. Next I coated it in a dark brown, then dry brushed a lighter brown, then another even lighter brown. You can see the paints I used in the right on the pictures. Using the spray glue, I applied some train-shop variety grass in patches. I also used GW's static grass in various places to give the grass a more varied look. Applying spray glue over the grass also darkened the colour, so I purposely added some more dimension to the grass. All in all, it came out pretty well.

Xander
Yep. :)

I need to make some Hills and Forests for it now. :idea

Snotling:

yeah, this is, what we wanted to see! a great battlegroup, can’t wait to see more, yay!

Dino:

Very nice start on painting youre army man. Can’t wait to see more.