[Archive] [09-12-2009] Astranagant's Angry Mental Dwarfs - My first massed unit, and more!

Astranagant:

My first entry into Chaos Dwarfs so far, I’ve successfully converted a couple Big Hat/Dreadbeards up.  Picasa blows, by the way.  

Last Updated - 02-27-09

My Sorceror, Galran Deathblack - [Completed]

He started life as a Crossbows and Catapults Knight Hero, but had his midsection removed and his ghetto weapons replaced with more Dwarfy bitz.  The nose, beard, mustachio, monocle, and tusks were sculpted on.  The hat is made from a golf tee, whereas the axe is from an old Chaos Warrior.  I seem to be going for a 4th ed. style colour scheme.

A terrible group shot of my Sorceror and the two Gaolers

Sadak, Gaoler with Pistol, Axe, and Steel Whip [Completed]

Another big hat converted from a Reaper dwarf.  The beard isn’t all that dready, but it still looked appropriate, so I left it.  His left hand comes from the BfSP Thunderer Champion.  I may end up getting a few more of these, as the pose is superb.

I’ve also purchased a BC Standard Bearer for a dual-wielding BC hero.

The rest of my warband will likely be a bunch of converted BfSP dwarfs with straight-up Night Goblins as Informers.  I’ve also got a set of Oglah Khan’s Wolf Boyz that will serve as my Hobgoblin Scouts, assuming I get a matching set to convert up some dismounted Hobgoblah Khan.

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

tjub:

Looks cool, thou I can only see the first pic. There should be a thread about all the differnt stuff ppl used for their big hats… :slight_smile:

Kera foehunter:

that is a cool cd !! i love the big hat and beard

you did great Astrantagaunt

Zanko:

Cool conversion

and I see you have the same problems to paint the eyes as I have … :D:P:D

A good beginning! :hat off

:hashut

Hazkar:

nice stuff

but i only can see the first one,too

the hands look a little bit big,but it disturbs not really

Astranagant:

*Added Completed better-res photos of my Sorceror and Gaoler

tjub:

Ah, I like them both! Would be cool with some kinda blunderbuss pistol on the 2nd one… :slight_smile:

Kera foehunter:

love the new pictures what did you use for the second guy hat

Astranagant

Astranagant:

Behold my Daemon Engine in all it’s glory!  It may well be one of only two in existence.

Construction:
The chassis is provided by the Space Ork Trukk combined with a cage built from a few IMEX Hexagon pieces, some chicken wire, and plastic I-beams.  The front cap comes from some fire engine-shaped car playset with a poor attempt at a Rune of Hashut in Greenstuff.

Front isometric view:

A rear isometric view:

My Daemon Engine happens to be powered by the bound demon Zuul, the Gatekeeper.  The powerplant was constructed from basswood, plastic I-beams, and a wooden door from some factory kit I had.  The front of the powerplant is a 2nd edition Space Marine Predator turret with the Warhammer Chapel clock grafted on.  The various fleshy bitz were sculpted from Greenstuff.  I also used dress snaps as pressure control valves.  The driver’s compartment was constructed from the Trukk cockpit with the exhaust pipe grafted on.   A small fuel tank from an Urban War Myrmillo takes up the passenger compartment.

Joshmohr:

Love the Engine!!!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Ghrask Dragh:

One of the craziest machines in the comp’, you deserve alot of credit for the pretty much scratch build, I liked this one alot it’s very well done indeed!

Astranagant:

One of the craziest machines in the comp', you deserve alot of credit for the pretty much scratch build, I liked this one alot it's very well done indeed!

Ghrask Dragh
Thank you for that.

My bolt thrower, made more or less using furrie's method, though I substituted a plastic gutter for some of the sprue and strung it with solder.

GRNDL:

I thought this model was put together very nicely and clearly showed a lot of work, but a few things lost my vote.

First up, I had trouble figuring out what it did or was. The cage gave the impression that it was a prison vehicle or something, but now looking at the end on pictures, I guess it was some kind of daemonic ray gun?

The second thing was the fact that it was mostly recognizeable as the Ork Trukk to me. That might have been because I had just finished glueing one together, so I don’t know for sure, but when I looked at it, it just seemed to borrow too much from the 40k model.

The thing that impressed me the most was the detailing on the “cab” end. Very ornate, very well styled and painted. Sorry there was no medal for you Astra, but for some they are very rare. :slight_smile:

Astranagant:

I thought this model was put together very nicely and clearly showed a lot of work, but a few things lost my vote.

First up, I had trouble figuring out what it did or was. The cage gave the impression that it was a prison vehicle or something, but now looking at the end on pictures, I guess it was some kind of daemonic ray gun?  

The second thing was the fact that it was mostly recognizeable as the Ork Trukk to me. That might have been because I had just finished glueing one together, so I don't know for sure, but when I looked at it, it just seemed to borrow too much from the 40k model.

The thing that impressed me the most was the detailing on the "cab" end. Very ornate, very well styled and painted. Sorry there was no medal for you Astra, but for some they are very rare. :)

GRNDL
That's one of the reasons I'd wished to have some sort of title... if you hadn't read the Border Town Burning Mordheim supplement you'd have no reason to know what it was, namely a bound daemon-powered prison wagon. madgrot bob, as far as I know, is the only other human being to have built one of these, as shown here.

I have few regrets... I'd begun building it to play Border Town Burning, and it just happened that GH VIII gave me a reason to go from half-finished project to completed, painted model.

Kera foehunter:

Wow that is some great stuff !! nice job

furrie:

even though you based your bolt thrower on mine, your twist gives it a uniqeu feel and still looks cool.

Canix:

Loved the gaol wagon especially the engine and clockwork elements :hat off i did notice the orkiness of the chassis but thinought the overall appearance very steampunk .Artisans II contess had one of these although boar powered see here https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/8499

Overall a great submission and nice beginnings of a warband :hat

Zanko:

This was your Warmachine!!! :o

I like it! It was one of my 3 favourites at the GH 8 contest! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cool idea and making! :hat off

:hashut

Astranagant:

Behold, Honerva Heartrender, scourge of the enemies of Galran Deathblack!  This Chaos Dwarf Cowtaur has stomped a Tilean Pikeman into the ground, beaten a Necromancer to death with her bare hands, and gathered much treasure for the horde of Galran Deathblack, Priest of Hashut.

There wasn’t much conversion work involved, though cutting off the Dwarf maiden’s legs and bodging her torso onto the bull torso was rather trying.  I also used a Chaos Space Marine smoke launcher for mechano-udders; unfortunately both Impact Miniatures bull torsos are a little too “endowed” for a Cowtaur, but I made it work.

In game she’s performed wonderfully, and having had to advancements is up to 4 attacks.  Here’s hoping she gets Weapon Master next so that I can give her a Cathayan Longsword.

wallacer:

All of the conversions are great. Lots of attention to small details makes them, I think.