[Archive] 13-05-2010 My evil dwarven army blog. Final summary

Schlanger:

First of all! Sorry for possible mistakes as english is not my native language.

The idea of making a chaos dwarf army came to my mind…

Well, let’s start it another way.

The idea of making a chaos dwarf came to my mind when I bought a White Dwarf magazine with 1 night goblin and 1 dwarf  model glued onto it. Yes it was long time ago. I found a night goblin rather usefull as an ammo runt for my WH40k orks army but a single dwarf model appeared to be totally useless. It looked like that untill I’ve been asked to do some comission work. It was painting chaos warriors. The customer wanted “something”- impressive, but cheap and fast at the same time. So the only way of making it impressive that I could find was finding an impressive color scheme. A dwarf now looked as a good crush test dummy- a useless model that has heavy armor and leather parts on it. In order to get more similarity with a chaos warriors I decided to convert the dwarf into chaos dwarf. The only 2 things I used to know about chaos dwarves were

1. They exist.

2. They wear tall hats and have black beards.

I’ve never seen any CD art or model before, so I didn’t even know the propper shape of the hat.

Anyway, It took me sometime to make that simple conversion and I painted Chaos Warriors without testing color scheme on a newborn chaos dwarf, but the process of creating it, and a fresh feeling of painting chaos models brought me to a thought of making a CD army. It is interesting to have an army that noone actually has.

A year later (as I prefer playing 40k and doing many other things) I got my first dwarven part o BFSP set. Another year later I started my army.

Now I’m planning to show what I’ve got so far and share the ideas of further army development.

And the first models I shot with a camera are heroes.

Schlanger:

A CD hero. I think he looks more like a lord, as he’s HUGE, but I haven’t got a 2000 pt army yet, which prevents him from making a brilliant military career, leaving on a level of a mere CD hero.

This is a model I bought long before I made my first chaos dwarf. Long time ago Rackham “Confrontation” tabletop game was extremely popular in a local gaming community. This model is one of the leftovers of that time. It is originally called Hirh Karn, and looks quite different from this CD officer

Schlanger:

Another evil commander is a CD mage. A lore of shadows. He is converted out of a BFSP tunelers’ champion. He is a scroll caddy, as u can all see on a shot of his back =)))

The pics are bit blurry, I’ll make another ones as I paint him.

Ancre:

Whoa, impressive ! I love the conversion of the mage, this is something I have not thought about at all ! I like the lord too !

Now I want to see them painted :smiley:

Xander:

They look cool. But they are very difficult to see the detail!

New pics would be welcome. :slight_smile:

two_heads_talking:

They look cool.  But they are very difficult to see the detail!

New pics would be welcome. :)

Xander
I'll second that. my astigmatism makes it hard to pick out detail to begin with..

Grotsnik:

impressive i love the sorcerer conversion however agree that it is hard to see the detail i think they’ll look ace painted

Ghrask Dragh:

Nice start, looking forward to seeng them painted, the Chaos Dwarf Lord from Rackham in particular!

:cheers

Schlanger:

I decided not to tak any more unpainted pics of those two heroes. And now, while I’m painting them, I’ll better present some more dwarfs, who are already painted.

A fire mage. BFSP model of course. Pics quality is limited by my camera macroshot ability. So they don’t look good enough.

Schlanger:

And some blunderbussers. The beginning of a unit and a test of a color scheme. At such large scale the paintjob doesn’t look neat at all, but in reality they look better because they are actually smaller =)))

Ancre:

Neat ! How did you do the hat of the blunderbussier dwarf at the left ? The one with the lantern. I want to do hats in a similar fashion but I have yet to find a way to do them …

Khan!:

Nice source-lighting on the sorcerer. Very striking!

Zanko:

Very unique skin colour! :sick

They look like CD and Greenskin hybrids - very cool! :~

I really like it, not so common! :hat off

:hashut

Kera foehunter:

Great Army !! i like the cd style your doing !! Great blunder buss love there hats

Schlanger:

Neat ! How did you do the hat of the blunderbussier dwarf at the left ? The one with the lantern. I want to do hats in a similar fashion but I have yet to find a way to do them ...

Ancre
All hats and guns are made using the very same technique. I think I should make a tutorial on making them, that might help. Basicly BB barels and hats are screws, smoothed by greenstuff.

And thanks for your comments everyone =))) I'm really glad you like it =) More pics is comming soon. And that Rackham dwarf is almost finished by now :mad

Swissdictator:

Please do post a tutorial on the guns! I’d really love to see how you did those as it looks very nice. :slight_smile: I might do that for the guns of my blunderbuss.

Kera foehunter:

Great idea with the scews!!!that a cool simple idea ( slaves)

Arashi:

Wow! hadn´t seen this blog before. Really like your version of your chaos dwarfs. Very simple if you think about it, but i don´t think I have seen anything similar before. Please, continue posing your minis!

Ghrask Dragh:

Very, very cool.

These guys are my favs…

…can’t wait to see the rest!!

Xander:

I love them! The sculpting work is great! They have a lot of character. :slight_smile:

Can’t wait for more!