Hobgoblin Hero 42pts

Light armour

10 Chaos Dwarf Warriors 90pts

750 Hobgoblins 1510pts

Standard Bearer

Total: 1999pts

To be used in a local tournament against Ogre Kingdoms, Warriors of Chaos, High Elves and Wood Elves. The Hobgoblin unit is there to scare enemies of (combat result…). Will it end up good?

warh:

[size=xx-large]:o750 HOBGOBLINS!!![/size]

orcs of fire:

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
isn’t 750 to much?!?

anyway - all the opposing player would have to do is kill 6 or 7 hobbos in combat, you run and you are 1510pts down.
so IMO that army list wouldn’t do that good

Ubertechie:

50 hobgoblins in a unit is too many but will always outnumber your army would be much better with lots of units of 30 with full command if you want to do a hobgoblin horde however I don’t think this will be effective at all

BilboBaggins:

Please tell me you are splitting up those HobGobs.

Maybe have some as Archers and Wolf Riders and Bolt Thrower Crew and still get 400 models on the field.

Those warrior units should be bigger or Blunderbusses, that will get you down to 300 models. :cheers

Auretious Taak:

Beat you to the idea a while back except my first list had 835 hob gobs at 2,000pts.

The thread propgresses through with like 6 different lists I suggest you read this thread below:

HOB GOB SPAM - WILL IT WORK?

Auretious Taak.

P.S. Not had a chance to play it yet, WHFB got scarce near me for a wwhile and university is a pain for games.

Auretious Taak:

Chaos Dwarf Hero 135pts
BSB
Banner of Slavery

Hobgoblin Hero 42pts
Light armour

Hobgoblin Hero 42pts
Light armour

750 Hobgoblins 1510pts
Standard Bearer

Total: 1999pts

To be used in a local tournament against Ogre Kingdoms, Warriors of Chaos, High Elves and Wood Elves. The Hobgoblin unit is there to scare enemies of (combat result...). Will it end up good?

Levir
Okay, I just read it closely...it's a BAD list.

You have a single unit of 750 guys witha standard bearer and I assume the 3 characters. I can't remember if the CD hero will allow the unit of Hob Gobs his Leadership of 10 if he joins them but of not make a Hob Gob hero the BSB and the CD the General.

1 unit, 750 guys (outnumbers), max 3 ranks, standard, 1 BSB = 6 against the enemy in combat. The enemy needs to kill 6 guys before he starts to hurt the unit. He throws a unit into your flank and cancels your rank bonus, he takes a character designed to kill stuff and issues a challenge to you and invariably kills and gets an overkill bonus on your crappy heroes. The flanking unit is gonna be some sort of cavalry so roughly 3-5 wounds from them, the frontal unit will have 3-5 maybe more wounds and because they charged you aren't fighting back, the few that might won't cause enough wounds for you to avoid losing on anything but snake eyes the combat round. Your opponent will run the unit down and single handedly get between 1510 and 1729 Victory points. The rest of your army gets pulled apart and slaughtered.

1 Big ass unit will never achieve anything except die and lose you a crap load of VP's - the exception is a big ass unit of Dwarf Hammerers witha general, we've messed witha unit of about 120 in a single row with an oathstone against combat armies, damned hilarious as they HAVE to come to you and you are decent and resilient and stubborn. :p

Break the unit down. Hobgoblins are cheap and can be highly effective but it is all in the bait, retreat, flank/rear charge the enemy and support each other. They truely suck by themselves and need to work as a team together to achieve anything lasting. A couple small units of 10 in 2 ranks of 5 as flankers and a few solid units with full command, light armour and shields will do you a hell of alot more good then that massive unit of "I'm going to get massacred and tabled by the end of turn two every game, maybe turn one against those woodelves".

You're going up against Ogres and Chaos, a few Warmachines will help incredibly well and against the woodelves shooting, even units of 50 Hob goblins, they'll have to in the first turn pick off 13 hob gobs from the unit before you take a panic test and then with a CD General, you're leadership 10 anyways.

Hope this helps.

Auretious Taak.

BilboBaggins:

How may ranks would that unit have and how many men in the rank 10x10 is 100 models. 25x25 I don’t think will fit in the deployment zone.

12 inch deployment zone would mean 15 ranks deep max. so you are talking 75x15 unit.

How do I kill it?

Goblin Hewer (really bad on flank shot, 75 D3 hits) could possibly make it take a panic test on turn one, hard but needs lucky shot.

I know, my 4 doomseekers can kill a max of 10 a turn each (more likely 3-4 each), so together they should win combat each turn.

Joshmohr:

THAT MANY HOBBO’S?! WOW!

Can i get some pictures!!!

Willmark:

Um yeah, 750 hobgoblins??? the point of this wiuld be what exactly?

BilboBaggins:

Just seeing the face of your opponent when you spend 30 minutes placing Hobgobs on the board.

Joshmohr:

hahaha! How long DO you spend putting the hobbo’s on the board?

Ntm, how do you deal with panic test??? What if 750 people fell off the board?

PICTURES PLEASE!

BilboBaggins:

You have to get them all to line up. Then put them back after the failed panic and run down.

Hobgoblyn:

How many years would it take you to paint that army?..

BilboBaggins:

Prime white, dip in green ink and pay someone to do the details.

In reality use lots of filler pieces.

Alan the evil:

This list it’s obviously a joke…

Even because BSB can’t be general.

I don’t know if hobbo hero could be, I suppose he can’t but I didn’t read the contrary so I must to acept he can: could I field a 1500 pts unit with… Ld 7??? No way!!

BilboBaggins:

This list it's obviously a joke...
Even because BSB can't be general.
I don't know if hobbo hero could be, I suppose he can't but I didn't read the contrary so I must to acept he can: could I field a 1500 pts unit with... Ld 7??? No way!!

Alan the evil
I'm guessing that the intent was to keep the general within 12 inches so effective leadership 10.

Border Reiver:

The leadership of the general in this case would be a whopping 7 from one of the Hobgoblin heroes. The CD BSB cannot be the general.

Sure the size of the unit would be intimidating, but once your opponent gets over his initial shock (probably right after folling to see who goes first), he can see a large number of ways to send 1510 points running for minimal effort:

a. Cause 6+ casualities in CC, not too difficult with any of the opponents your telling me about. If he wins by one point then you’ve got to take a break test at 6 or less, even with the BSB reroll you’re in a world of hurt;

b. A large number of spells such as Burning Head, or one of the Gut Magic spells cause you to take a panic test, again, even with the rerolls you’re vulnerable, especially since your magic defence is limited to two dice…;

c. Playing the Psych game - even with rerolls the dice aren’t always your friend (I have had unit of Questing Knights with the cold-blooded banner fail fear tests, and yes, that includes the reroll). Fear, terror, etc. are not your friend.; and

d. Mobility. Your large unit is about as mobile as a skyscraper (at 5 ranks deep your unit frontage is 3 metres [10 feet], and a 10 ranks deep you’re looking at a frontage of 1.5 metres

Auretious Taak:

Just seeing the face of your opponent when you spend 30 minutes placing Hobgobs on the board.

BilboBaggins
That and the fact no other army can afford to place so many models on the board at 2,000 pts.

I still think a Hobgoblin Spam army would work.

The reality of the army is such that HobGoblins are all slaves. Take a few Hobgoblins with whips and then borrow as many of your friends armies as possible and you have a HobGoblin Slave unit/units.
How may ranks would that unit have and how many men in the rank 10x10 is 100 models. 25x25 I don't think will fit in the deployment zone.

12 inch deployment zone would mean 15 ranks deep max. so you are talking 75x15 unit.

How do I kill it?

Goblin Hewer (really bad on flank shot, 75 D3 hits) could possibly make it take a panic test on turn one, hard but needs lucky shot.

I know, my 4 doomseekers can kill a max of 10 a turn each (more likely 3-4 each), so together they should win combat each turn.
You aren't panicking the unit from shooting or magic. Though someone said there's a Tzeentch spell that can instant kill an entire unit (I still don't believe they'd make a spell so broken...). Combat is where it's at, as explained above you need maaybe 10-15 kills and the unit regardless of it's ranks and outnumbering and BSB and Standard et al is rolling snake eyes or fleeing. Just hit it with multiple units at once straight in the front. In the same turn use your shooting to take out the rest of the army and you'd table the army in one go.

A.T.

Alan the evil:

And what happens if we have some enemy units on the flanks?

If they charge on the flanks we lost bonus ranks and we gonna flee in while.

And what happen if a single enemy unit is on the flank and we fail animosity test??

Animosity is something we cannot forget…

Auretious

I like more your lists with chaos dwarf heros for supply the missing in hobgoblin heros:

Generel for Ld

Scroll caddy

BSB - Banner of slavery

But if we want to spam with hobbos models we cannot avoid to field BT and wolf riders - and even a hobbo-cannonball-hero:)