[Archive] 2009 SAWS Challenge

tvandyke:

I’m not sure if this is where this post should go, but I thought I’d let everyone know how my Chaos Dwarfs faired at the 2009 SAWS Challenge (Indy GT held in Sacramento, CA every year). I managed to take 6th place overall (out of 52) and won 1st place award for Best Painted Army. I won 3 games, tied 1 and lost 1. I had a nice time, played 5 fun games and thought the CD’s faired pretty well considering I faced 3 Dragons, a Skaven Army of Doom (4 rattling guns, 2 warpfire cannons, 18 jezzails, 18 or so casting dice, 3 bounds and a Bell) and one fairly tame Dwarf army. There’s pictures of my army smattered about on http://computerwhisperer.me They took a few hundred pictures and my army comes up on a few different pages. It’s the only Chaos Dwarf army there so you can’t miss it. Check it out if your curious.

Loki:

Congrats on getting 6th place thats great as so many people entered, am just working throught the photos now and have to say that there are some really well painted armies that i am seeing, so cant wait to see your dwarfs :slight_smile:

Loki:

WOW :o Have just seen your army can see why you got best painted they are amazing, if you have not already please get these posted on the site so all can enjoy :slight_smile:

Method:

what was in your list?

congrats on the 6th place finish.

The highest place I ever achieved at a GT was 14th out of 56.

Not too many players play chaos dwarves at grand tournaments of 50 players or more… so HUGE Props

Method

tvandyke:

what was in your list?
congrats on the 6th place finish.

The highest place I ever achieved at a GT was 14th out of 56.

Not too many players play chaos dwarves at grand tournaments of 50 players or more... so HUGE Props

Method

Method
I've been playing this army for years. I took it to the 2003 GW Baltimore GT and took 2nd overall (with about 100 or more players). I also took 2nd overall at the 2004 GW Seattle GT. I could just not quite get over the hump. In this year's army I had the following:

1 Chaos Dwarf Lord @ 443 Pts
General; Shield
Black Hammer of Hashut [45]
Armour of the Furnace [45]

1 Great Taurus @ [230] Pts

1 Bull Centaur Hero @ 134 Pts
Great Weapon
Armour of Gazrakh [30]

1 Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer @ 115 Pts
Magic Level 1
Dispel Scroll [25]
Dispel Scroll [25]

15 Chaos Dwarf Blunderbuss @ 180 Pts
Blunderbuss; Heavy Armour

19 Chaos Dwarf Warriors @ 181 Pts
Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard

20 Chaos Dwarf Warriors @ 190 Pts
Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard

10 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders @ 180 Pts
Normal Bow; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician

10 Wolf @ [0] Pts

20 Hobgoblins @ 40 Pts

20 Hobgoblins @ 40 Pts

20 Hobgoblins @ 40 Pts

2 Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower @ 60 Pts

4 Crew @ [0] Pts

2 Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower @ 60 Pts

4 Crew @ [0] Pts

5 Bull Centaurs @ 115 Pts
Great Weapon; Light Armour; Shield; Standard

1 Earthshaker @ 110 Pts

3 Crew @

Baggronor:

179 models :slight_smile: good to see someone who appreciates numbers. Nice classic CD army :cheers

Crube:

That’s a serious army - I have less models in my Orc and Goblin list …:o

Well done

Method:

nice list.

I run something similar, (one unit less of bb’s and 2 units of archers…)

yea, I was at balti 99 with my chaos dwarves… but one thing i have discovered with Chaos dwarves, is they can be really match-up dependant.

soo when do we get a report? maybe give the rest of us some insight?

Im thinking about bringing the chaos dwarves out for the conflict GT in NJ and one in D.C in october to try to crack the top ten.

but i just finished a dark elf army so i dunno…

Swissdictator:

Nice work and good looking army!

How do you fare against VC?

clam:

Congrats, always nice to here a CD army preforming well :hat off

And what an awesome big hat army you have. Really like the conversions you did for the BC hero and the BC leader with two hand weapons. I bougth a very similar conversion at eBay a few years back (thought it was a limited character model - but while striping it - the hero hat #2 fell of :frowning: - but it’s still an awesome figure )

Hope you don’t mind me putting these two up here - and I do hope you findtime to do a army showcase here at CDO.

tvandyke:

Congrats, always nice to here a CD army preforming well :hat off

And what an awesome big hat army you have. Really like the conversions you did for the BC hero and the BC leader with two hand weapons. I bougth a very similar conversion at eBay a few years back (thought it was a limited character model - but while striping it - the hero hat #2 fell of :( - but it's still an awesome figure )

Hope you don't mind me putting these two up here - and I do hope you findtime to do a army showcase here at CDO.

clam
Not at all. I'm at work and for some reason I can't get to the site with all the army pictures. I'll have to wait until I get home. Thanks for the compliments.

Kera foehunter:

That is a perfect bull centaur hero

tvandyke:

A few of the other photos.

Method:

now all we need is the report!! :cheers

Da Crusha:

hey tom, congratulations, I was going to attend saws and couldn’t make it at the last second, Im the guy that brought chaos dwarfs to Quake city rumble this year. last year, I saw your army at qcr and it inspired me to start my own Chaos Dwarf army.

tjub:

Wow, thats an awesome army! :slight_smile: The sheilds and banners are outstanding!

The Brain:

Congrats on placing 6th, it is always good to Chaos Dwarfs in GT’s. You are lucky most of the tournaments in my area do not allow CD. Also awsome paint job, your banners and shields are cool. If you get a chance you should but up a pic of the whole army and the hobgobos.

Lizabeta:

Hey there!

I just wanted to tell you that I went through the whole group of 2009 pictures and pulled out all the ones I could see were your Chaos Dwarves. They are linked at: http://computerwhisperer.me with their own “set”. I know I’ve taken photos of your army before (it is unmistakable and VERY photogenic).

The coloring on your army and your precision in painting makes it show very very nice in pictures! Speaking as someone who has (obviously, and my apologies for the sheer volume on my flickr page) taken a lot of photographs of miniatures… if you can blow up the photograph 3X or more the size of the actual mini and it STILL looks good… you know its a spectacular paint job.

When I get up to Oregon, I’ll look through our past years CDs and I’ll add the photos from past years to the Chaos Dwarves set.

Congratulations on your SAWS win. :slight_smile:

~Kirk’s (Dog’s of War)-picture-taking-wife-Stephanie

Kera foehunter:

The whole army looks great really like the earth shaker pain job the black looks great

Crube:

Fully deserving of the award - looks awesome.

Thanks for sharing