[Archive] [3/09/11] Alfracts Oceanic Chaos Dwarfs. [Golden Hat XIV WIP shots]

Hazkar:

cool,there is always great stuff in old toyboxes

cant wait to see your next update of your kollossus

Alfract:

Just a small Update this Time, i don’t have much time on me as i would love i am putting most of projects on hold. The only ones that i will be working on will be the Kollosus Walker and a DaemonEater made out of defiler leftover and hopefully some right scale trakk wheels

A couple of things to show you tonight. This is Sorc/Deamon Smith that was for the Golden Hat that was never finished, its not finished here but gives the idea what i was trying to achieve.

The Second Pictures is more on My Kollosus

and

Size comparsion next to a LR

How big is yours Loki?

Loki:

Great work Alfract the Kollosus looks great, i would say looking at the pics that your is a bit taller and wider than mine, when you get the arms on he will alot wider, have you though how you will do the arms ?

Alfract:

Great work Alfract the Kollosus looks great, i would say looking at the pics that your is a bit taller and wider than mine, when you get the arms on he will alot wider, have you though how you will do the arms ?

Loki
i got defiler legs that have been extended, not totally sure about what i want to put as the claws. as i used the defiler close combat claws as the legs it might prove difficult to get some more.

one arm close combat weapon is looking like it'll be a killa kan buzz saw and the other arms with be a scratch built claw out of the end spikes from the defiler kit.

im really trying to get out as much as i can from a defiler cheaply that i bought last year, i plan on using the back-body of the defiler as the body for my daemoneater.

Alfract:

Just a small update, hoping to get some more stuff up this week if time permits. Added arms to my kollosus, it going well so far. Also been trying find some suitable basing materials for my chaos dwarfs, finally settled to cork tiles from Bunning. This can be easily hacked up to represent floats rocks in magma.  

Here is a unit of Hobgoblin Bowmen, not sure if they will see the battlefield as i hear, that if i want to protect my warmachines i should use Orc Arrer Boyz, but i still love the look of them.

Its just a custom made movement tray, i still plan to add a metal bases to it, for stability and the ability later to magnetize.

A small filler on the back row of the unit, one of the hobo has been given a dwarf crossbow and is staring in awe and his friend makes it go real far, hahaha.

Also been thinking of idea some of the hero in the Indy GT list, for Astragoth, am thinking of using a Ork Nob in Mega Armour as the leg base, i know that it may seem a little big, but will probly fit well with my army as some of the other stuff is quite big as well. And for MORGOK HELLSPAWN, THE DAEMOGOBLIN OF VORAG im thinking of just using a 6th edition dwarf body, 6th edition Night Goblin head and bloodletter parts mixed in.

This guy is nearly finished, just need to greenstuff the belly join and add more cloth to his head

Alfract:

Been having ideas for making a Kollosus Demonic Tower, akin to that decribed in the IndyGT list and am thinking about using a Ork Battlewagon as the base. I like the idea of it have track wheels on the back and regular round wheels on the front. Then having the sides of the battlewagon hacked up and fused with plastic card in a upward fashion to create a tower. I hope that it can be three layers:

1. The bottom layer with the engine connecting to the axels and steering mechanism with dwarf steering and number of hobgoblin checking gauges and whatnot.

2. The secong layer is where 5 Blunderbusses with stand, im think an open front and sides.

3. The top layer with be open top, this for another 5 blunderbusses to stand. Im thinking of also having a gate at the top, like siege towers of the past that allow attacker to charge outward. you never know when you might beseige a dwarf stronghold.

I am yet to see the battlewagon in real life and am curious of its actually size, i may need to widen it with plastic card.

im also thinking about maybe using the steam tank engine as the engine at the back and am not sure how successful that will prove, i’d rather be able to buy just the parts i need rather than a $96 kit especially after getting something a battlewagon.

But I am in need to steam style engine that would be suitable, maybe something from a model train, can anyone recommed to good place to get some train engines on cheap. im also thinking about maybe using the steam

Alfract:

Small update Time, been working on a couple of things and having grand designs in my head to make more and more wonderous CD inventions, please someone tell me that there isn’t something wrong with me, i can’t seem to finish one project, because everytime that im near completion, something else wants to take over, for example, im still working on my Upright kollosus, but i want make another one like in the Indy GT list,

I did some work on my bull Centuars, i plan on either having a unit of six or a unit of five with one musician.  Just as a recap, the horses are Chaos Knights and the dwarfs are GW slayers, the musician i believe is a harliquin (sp?) model, that i got in a trade of while back, i think the standard bearer that went with him is actually one of my sorcs.

i have just mounted them on some cork tiles, i plan on drybrushing them gray and paintying the other bitz of the base as if it was lava, i haven’t totally decided on how i want to paint the slayers, thinking maybe of giving them blue hair ( saw it other at bugmens brewery and liked the look of it)

Side shot of how the bodies were shortened, i did originally shorten the legs but it always ended up a bit fiddley

A shot of the Kollosus arms , liberated from the Ork Killa Kans

A shot of Morgok Hellspawn - The Daemogoblin of Vorag  made from 6th edition dwarfs bitz, 6th edition goblin ( man i love these and am in dire need of more) and a current edition bloodletter. he’s basicly a hobogoblin that the CD experitmented on and lived.

phierlihy:

Alfract, what kinds of heads are those on your Hobgoblins? I found them on Ebay but I need more and I don’t know what sprue they came from.

Alfract:

Alfract, what kinds of heads are those on your Hobgoblins?  I found them on Ebay but I need more and I don't know what sprue they came from.

phierlihy
    i believe that they are from 5th or 6th edition, Night goblins. They are much larger in size that of the current edition night gobbo. I know the feeling, im constantly on the lookout for more, you stay to Canada and USA and i'll stick to Australia . hahaha

Just look on more local forums ( i assume there is one for Canada), coz i think that there are many spare heads, in those kits.

phierlihy:

That’s what I thought they might be from, darnit. Desperation has me considering actually casting them to fit my needs. Thanks though!!

Alfract:

That's what I thought they might be from, darnit.  Desperation has me considering actually casting them to fit my needs.  Thanks though!!

phierlihy
    i know the feeling, i have about 80 hobgoblins without heads

Alfract:

Update. Heres something for all the Chaos Dwarf lovers out there. Over the past couple of weeks i have noticed that many of the wargamers here are tipping the BSS thread upside down look for some chaos. I personlly love the look of the 3rd Edition Stuff, but as a uni student, their prices are beyond me lol.

For all the Big Hat lovers out there, to call yourself a die hard fan, you have to wonder if they have themselves one of these:

Its a White Dwarfs Presents: Chaos Dwarfs, i was able to pick this up on ebay for $15 a couple of weeks ago and am pretty happy with it. Also a Ravenging Hordes book, no bad comp for me, when they say my list has to be vaild in book form.

My Favorite Chaos Dwarfs by far are definitely the fan made ones, it really is a testement to see that modellers are converting whole armies and would encourage more CDs players out there to experiment with different kits and show everyone just how good Chaos Dwarfs can be.

Anyway, back to the update, uni is ######ing me over and reallly need to put warhammer on the back burner hence why most of my warhammer is being put away for the time being, all my bitz are still close for BSS reasons.

A couple of things to show you tonight. This is Sorc/Deamon Smith that was for the Golden Hat for CDO that was never finished, its not finished here but gives the idea what i was trying to achieve.

The Second Pictures is more on My Kollosus

and

Size comparsion next to a LR

Alfract:

Prevening All,

i haven’t been much to up to date with my modeling blog, i lost a little interest when i lost half the pictures in my blog, due to some kind of rollback, but i haven’t stopped working, i’ve actually picked up the paint brushes and began to paint some minis, i was able to a acquire some Rugluds Armored Orcs that i plan to use as my arrer boys, that will be used as my auxiliary troops and started painting them, along with regular orc boyz ( hopefully I�?Tll have some painted pictures later this week)

I’ve been doing a lot of work on my Blunderbusses, experimenting with different ways to make them, look a little archaic, i know what some of your are thinking that is a little too futurisic , but i like them, and i think the theme will go will with my army, esp. if you have seen my earthshaker and inferno golems. Im hoping to pump out a unit, by next month, hopefully i can find enough bolters though i am starting to think that i may make some casts of them, so that i can pump them out quicker.

All Kinds of different designs to see what looks cool, I�?Tm particular fond of the ones that looks a bit like a grenade launcher and one that incorporates the CSM tank accessory

AGPO:

Nice job! I’ve never thought of using bretonian heads on Dwarfs before. They’d actually go a way to making pretty cool Ironbreakers.

Alfract:

Update time. finally was able to get some pictures off my camera and let me work a little bit on my blog rather than slave over uni work.

Heres a mock up of what the blunderbuss look like. i think they look a lot better when they are on the actually model rather just themselves, i plan to add more pouches to the models from IG, marine and thunderer sprues and give extended eye pieces from the IG binoculars.

Work on my wolf riders, was able to aquire a number of OOP chaos hounds from dehead, i think they will work well as it is the chaos wastes (Darklands) after all the near no doubt a few mutations.

Im hoping to be able to use the doomwolf as a mount for my hobgoblin hero that i plan to one day build, the others plan to be a mix a wolf and hound bitz, with different heads and tails as well as the scupting of more fur on the hounds. An example of mix and match ideals.

Next up is giant that i was able to aquire in a trade, its not as large as the current giant but this works in my advantage as i plan to use him as a filler in my Black Orc Unit, i plan to give him a huge double sided axe and a shield to a similar design of the Black Orc ones. i also want to contruct a helm from plastic card akin to the Black Orc ones, im still undecided if i want to paint his skin green as he was an orc or leave it skin coloured but give him green body paint.

And finally, i have been doing some work on hellcannon designs, this a based off a pyrovore from the 40K range with a some modiforcations including giving it wheels at the front,

C+C Welcome.

Alfract:

Update time, its been real long overdue

My Bull Centaurs have been finished and Painted, i got my roommate to help me paint some, her’s are the ones with the less colourful hairstyles. As may of you might already know, they are made from WOC knight horses and dwarf slayers. i have another 5 built and ready to be painted

Work on my hobgoblins, based on dwarf models with night goblin heads, it took them forever to be based and undercoated. My roomate is helping be paint these, granted she’s good but hates when i look at her to see if she doing it right

Work on my CD Earthshakers, they are truely massive proble larger than the hellcannon model, based on howlizter guns but a larger scale. thw undercoated one was built in the last couple of weeks and the painted one last year around this time, i had different ideas back then.

A model that my german roomate bought off me and is currently painting, i reckon he’s doing a brillant job

Fequiil:

EPIC cannons!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Nicodemus:

Progress is looking stellar!! It’s coming along well, can’t wait to see more…

Alfract:

cheers for the replies everyone, slowly making progress

Work on a filler for my Blunderbuss Unit, it is 3rd edition models, cheers LDP for this model among others that will hopefully be put up one day soon

Also a picture of me putting my slaves … err i mean housemates/friends to work to help me create some creations

also slowing working to get my Black Orcs to rank up

Alfract:

I decided to make a Bull Taurus, right now its unmounted but a rider is in the works.

The Design is based of Chaos Juggernaught model, i extended the shoulders with plastic card and greenstuff and changed the position of the back legs with greenstuff and fencing wire. I decided that rather than the usualness of the model rearing on its back legs, i decided on a more dramatic flying pose. thinking back on it i seem to have a limited number of WIP shots.

Extending the Shoulders

Work on the base

Body Shots

Shot with WIP Wings ( the wing frames are fencing wire)

Some Painted WIP Shots, lots of drybrushing and layers