[Archive] 40k Squats

Thane Godri GoblinSlayer:

So I have been dabbling in 40k for a while and amidst painting my IG and GK I have had a brain fart.  I plan on making a 500 point squat force using one of the codexes now and then slowly expanding it until it is 2,000 points.  But that’s far off.  

So I was wondering what codex would work the bes , Imperial Guard seem like good canidates but I composed a list of the other worthy ones.  

Imperial Guard: Heavy support and lots of guys.  Could go for an all mechanized force.  

Tau Empire: These guys would look cool and represent the squats advanced technology.  Or it could be a Demiurg Army.    

Orks: Now here me out on this crazy idea.  Grethcin being beardlings and orks being close combat crazed dwarves.  Would represent our toughness.  

But what are your ideas and to help me with this Squat Project can any of you answer any of these questions.  

1. Anyone know a store that sells space dwarfs.  Cheaply please.  

2. Anyone of pictures of the old squat miniatures or a squat army to inspire please.

BilboBaggins:

I’ve seen Squats using the Imperial Guard list.

I’ve heard recommendations of using Lost and the Damned book.

There have been rumors of them becoming part of the Tau Empire, but I think that is wishful thinking.

But from all reports I’ve heard/read GW will never release the Sqauts as an army again. I think the Demiurg in Gothic was there just to make people think that GW still cared about people with Squats.

There was a printing of a Squat list (White Dwarf/pdf file) a before 4th edition 40K came out but that was an error on GW’s part. If you can get a copy it’s gold.

I've seen Squats using the Imperial Guard list.
I've heard recommendations of using Lost and the Damned book.
There have been rumors of them becoming part of the Tau Empire, but I think that is wishful thinking.
But from all reports I've heard/read GW will never release the Sqauts as an army again. I think the Demiurg in Gothic was there just to make people think that GW still cared about people with Squats.
There was a printing of a Squat list (White Dwarf/pdf file) a before 4th edition 40K came out but that was an error on GW's part. If you can get a copy it's gold.

BilboBaggins
Lost and the Dammned, heard of it but never seen the list. The demiurg where the reason I thought of Tau Empire rules. But the army itself would have no relation to the Tau Empire.

Any pictures of the squats using Imperial Guard List. Or like what models he is using. I have no old squat models and have feverently been searching the web for space dwarves that are sold in the USA.

BilboBaggins:

It was two years ago and I didn’t have a camera with me. Lots of Tanks. I haven’t seen him in a while, when I do I’ll see if I can get the list and images.

It was two years ago and I didn't have a camera with me. Lots of Tanks. I haven't seen him in a while, when I do I'll see if I can get the list and images.

BilboBaggins
Thanks and as for squats or space dwarves never returning.

+++++++++++++++INTERCEPTED MESSAGE+++++++++++++++

YOU ARE BEING LIED TO!
Do not believe the propaganda!
We were not exterminated and never will be!
Our forces are gaining ground everyday and
everywhere new pockets of resistance join the struggle.

Behold the advent of the squats.
We will not be banished! We�?Tll find our own systems!
We�?Tll fight the xenophobic and chaos dogs on our own terms
and we shall win this war!
VICTORY OR DEATH!

++++++++++++++++++END OF MESSAGE++++++++++++++++++

Auretious Taak:

There was a printing of a Squat list (White Dwarf/pdf file) a before 4th edition 40K came out but that was an error on GW's part. If you can get a copy it's gold.

BilboBaggins
If you have a copy of this or know where to find one, please PM it to me as I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Also, to the army lists as substitutions, Orks also work well because they have bikers that awould work well for the Squat Bikers.

However, if you want something much more solid, as well as the one major public statement by Jervis Johnson on the matter, you want to look over on The Golden Throne Forums, in the Squatpocalypse thread they have running:

http://www.golden-throne.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11279&start=0

Have a good day,

Auretious Taak.

snowblizz:

Wasn’t there a thread about squats in one forum or another here. I could have sworn… included pics of using WHFB plastics to make 40k Squats.

I think they were using the Space Marine armylist, as you have the T and the BS. I think the idea was scouts for regular guys and SM and Terminators for the tough stuff. Even has bikes if you want them…

Thommy H:

Space Dwarves:

Hasslefree Grymn.

Olley’s Armies Scrunts.

BilboBaggins:

After reading the post on Golden thrown it is pretty much as told to me by the Manager and GM of the GW store I frequent a few years ago.

When I started playing Warhammer (I started with LOTR) some of the people in the store wanted me to play 40k. But I wasn’t that interested because there was no army that I felt drawn to. A few guys thought I would be good with Squats if the weren’t eated by the Tyranids.

To bad I’m not rich enough to buy GW and make their policies make sense.

My agenda in order would be:

1. Legalize the SOC, DOW, Chaos Dwarf and Lustria armies for tournaments.

2. Moritorium on Space Marine Codexes for 2 years

3. Putting the army lists as pdfs on the site so people can play the army before buying the book. I’ve seen too many kids playing armies and using the store copy of the books.

4. New Chaos Dwarf book.

5. New Dogs of War book. Allow limited DOW units into other armies (maybe 1 per 1000 points) keeping them sane.

6. Updated the SOC lists and possibly book (fixing the problems with some of the lists) or even adding SOC and Lustria lists included in each armies main book.

7. A Demiurg codex. Maybe make it so they can be allies with some other armies.

8. No list would be released (white dwarf, special book) that forces the use of a special character to play it.

tjub:

I have a lot of squats, thou havent played them for some years. But when I last did, I used the SM rules, with squats as scouts, hearthguard as command squad, bikers are scout bikes, trikes as attack bikes, exo as termies, termites as drop pods and so on…

two_heads_talking:

Bilbo, I wonder how the company would manage under your tutelage?

BilboBaggins:

two_heads_talking
Either very well or very poor, no inbetween.

I know the company listen to the gamers complaints.

And the FAQ's/Erratica would be posted and available in the stores.

And when you have a rules question and call them up you will always get the same answer not different ones from different people.

And the objective is to make it fun for the gamers.

snowblizz:

two_heads_talking
Either very well or very poor, no inbetween.

I know the company listen to the gamers complaints.

And the FAQ's/Erratica would be posted and available in the stores.

And when you have a rules question and call them up you will always get the same answer not different ones from different people.

And the objective is to make it fun for the gamers.

BilboBaggins
Meh. They already did all of that and it must not have been working because they changed it years ago.

AGPO:

Anyone up for founding Squats Online? :wink:

Anyone up for founding Squats Online? ;)

AGPO
That'd be cool, but I doubt it would get a lot of members.

AGPO:

Almost as many as Zoats Online and Fimir Online

Almost as many as Zoats Online and Fimir Online

AGPO
Is there really a Fimir online or are you lying :s:mad :P

AGPO:

It was all a joke Godri, although at one point there was talk of setting up a ‘lost races’ site or at least a sub forum

It was all a joke Godri, although at one point there was talk of setting up a 'lost races' site or at least a sub forum

AGPO
I thoughy so. A Lost Races site would be cool, you could call it misfits :cheers. Since we will never get back in, well chaos dwarfs probably will. But I see no hope for fimir or zoats or Kislev.

BilboBaggins:

With Kislev gone nobody has to worry about the Lore of Ice spells.

The last rumors I heard about the Squats (Demiurge) were they might show up in the Tau Empire in the future.

I talked to my buddy who has the Squats and he is ready to sell them, long story. I’m trying to get him to join here and post it. I have a feeling he may put it on eBay. I’m broke so I couldn’t buy it from him.