[Archive] 6/6/2015 LED Sorcerer Prophet almost done, GT 3rd place award

Abecedar:

Well done. am still trying to picture the army all on there.

sam585:

Thank you all for the kind words :hat off

quick and dirty update, slave orcs inc

Admiral:

Chained up, that’s how we like them! The chains are a tad big, but will work since they’re attached to big brutish Orcs. You could add a small green stuff ring around the chain links connecting to each bracelet. Small touches of realism are great for a fantasy model’s appeal. Some jeweller’s chain could be useful for future chain gangs of slaves. :wink:

sam585:

Yes I was thinking the same thing with some greenstuff just that I ran out! Maybe tomorrow I can swing over to my LGS and pick some up. Additionally I have to trim off that little weapon bit from the hands x.x but that should just be a quick swipe with my knife.

Large chains for large orcs, I was thinking that since orcs are so big a regular chain like the one used on elves, humans, and goblins would be risky for the likes of orcs and ogres (especially when hobgoblins are prodding them on). That and the weight of the chains should keep the orcs arms totally tired and weak same with their legs so they would be totally exhausted and thus less prone to violent outbursts and easier to handle.

tjub:

Will they make a unit of their own or just a filler?

sam585:

Will they make a unit of their own or just a filler?

tjub
Nope they are going to be made into a diorama for my display board, I like using supplies/ large guns/ and defensive emplacements for my unit fillers like these:

Yodrin:

Very nice unit fillers, simple but effective and doesnt take away the attraction from the models in the unit;)

sam585:

The board is now 95% done, all that is missing are some small fun details. And unfortunately, this is all the work I can put into the project, just ran out of gumption.Luckily, I did add the smoke to all the warmachines that needed it, washed my infernal guard to give them a more defined look, redid the hobgoblin bases, and generally touched everything up. Next project will likely be 3 new bullcentaurs for my 2500 point forc and some custom sculpted monster handlers.

175- Daemonsmith Lvl 2 metal (General), Stone Mantle, Charmed Shield

190 Infernal Castellen BSB, Talisman of Preservation, Dragon Helm, Great Weapon

155- Daemonsmith Lvl 2 metal, dispell

54- Hobgoblin Khan, Light Armor

104- 20 hobgoblins bows, Musician

491- 27 Infernal Guard with Fireglaives fcmd,

310- Iron Daemon

100- Rocket

210- Hellcannon

210- Hellcannon

Total:1999

Lastly, thank you all for the nice comments. :slight_smile:

BABIS:

I like the amount of smoke ^^

DAGabriel:

Great armyshot, inform staff for that army medal!

Yodrin:

Great looking army, I really like the dull color look it has, and also a very nice display board. Go get your medal and gratz getting it.

sam585:

Dull huh? :sick

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Abecedar:

I think he means gritty or dirty looking not “dull”

Yodrin:

I think he means gritty or dirty looking not "dull"

Abecedar
Thats correct Abecedar. By dull i meant non shiny/dirty/gritty, not boring....

Sorry Sam585, didn't mean to offend you, justly bad english or lack of it. ;)

sam585:

I was not offended I was just poking fun :slight_smile:

sam585:

Well the tournament came and went, and lady luck had a very amusing time with me turning downhill victories into bitter defeats. Outside of this though, my list performed extremely well. Some highpoints:

Irondaemon game 2 versus legions of chaos, 1st turn killed khorne exalted from shooting. Third turn killed Tzeentch chaos lord with the 3++ rerolling 1s wardsave. Fifth turn, killed another Tzeentch Chaos Sorcerer lord with the 3++ wardsave.

Infernal Guard, with enchanted blades, killed a hellpit abomination from one round of shooting without being flaming :hashut

Last game, combined shooting saw another legion of chaos army not even get past the half board line from all the panic tests.

Then in general, two level two metal wizards are just great. They held their own up against all manner of level 4 lords, laughing off their feeble spells, and throwing out unrelenting punishment every game. My 2500 list will keep these two level two wizards.

Now, more importantly paint. This tournament I made progress, scoring the full 30 points. However, two other contestants beat my score by two points! So after taking   a hard look at what beat my army, and being a commission painter, I realized that their is a bias among my community to favor a painting style I personally call, the comic book style. These paintjobs are bright, clean, unrealistic, cartoony, generally like they just jumped out of a best selling comic book. In doing this, it did not matter if models had stray brush strokes, if they were just dipped and hit with a matte coating, or if in general little complexity (being time) was put into these models. If they fit the bill of looking like a comic book, then they immediately had the leg up on my miniatures for they catch the eye due to the brightness of the minis, from 10-15ft away! the realistic rust patterns, and grime I slaved into my units were passed on, due to this, loosing out on what could have been win for paint.

Thus, I have a new goal, I will now modify and repaint my entire army, to be in the comic book style. With the goal of at least 3 models per day, or 1 Warmachine per 3 days and hopefully be completed in time for the next 2500 point tournament.

Here is the first Infernal Guard, in the new style, I suppose he can be called a prototype. As always, lighting sucks, and does not show accurately how much this new model pops. But you can get an idea by how much of a dramatic change between the two infernal guards are.

As always, thank you for stopping by. The quest continues…

Mivrash Faz:

sam585
Both minis look great!
I agree with your analysis of the painting aesthetic. It seems this has been the trend for a very long time however. I fall into the same trap that you do by favouring realism over cartoony.
Recently, I brought in some of my minis to a local GW and I got the same reaction that you did. My "realistically" painted ones didn't get a second look, but the ones painted like toys got all of the attention. Strange.
Keep up the great work, and please post some more pics of your army.
BTW, what colours did you use for the two schemes?
(The picture you posted is a little too washed out.)

sam585:

The updated infernal color is as follows:

First color listed was the base color for the highlight; however, it never went into the cracks, those I left dark brown. The other colors listed are just highlights upon highlights (covering less and less area as I progressed)

Armor plating - boltgun metal with fiery orange mix, then added a mottled yellow color into that for highlights (turned into a bone-ish color), then added some white to that for more highlights, and then pure white in selected areas.

Armor trim- Burnished gold, followed by burnished gold mixed with fiery orange, then mottled yellow, lastly pure white to certain areas

Scales/gears- boltgun metal, then boltgun metal mixed with white paint to create different greys, no white

leather/fireglaive- blood red, followed by mixing it with white same way that the scales were done

Beard- regal blue, followed by mixing with white to only one more shade lighter, followed by pure white highlight.

Original- Their is a picture of my hellcannon before I added the green rust effect where it was still brown that accurately shows what I did for them.

Boltgun metal drybrush-> lighter metalic drybrush (runefang?)-> selective dark brown splotting wash-> orange selective sploting wash-> dark ruddy green brown selective wash. Then the highest areas of the model were highlighted in a light grayish color.

DAGabriel:

IMHO the original look is indeed better, but going for the paint score you are probably right in changing.

Yodrin:

Both look very good imo, but I actually fave the before look. If you gave a brighter color on something on the “old” model to make it pop, I think that it would be enough to get best painted cause the paint job is very well executed as is.