[Archive] 8th Edition warhammer

Grimstonefire:

From warseer via BoLS

Not to drop a bomb or anything, but yes, 8th edition will be out next summer with a new boxed set in the fall. I�?Tve heard Empire vs. Orks in the box with a new O&G book out in Q1 2010. Plastic Empire Knights and Orc Boar boys will be in the new set I�?Tve heard. They keep one-upping themselves with the box sets so I would expect a mountain of amazing plastics in the new starter set.
My feeling is that 8th is highly likely for next year, O&G V empire is perfectly plausible, but a new O&G army book is extremely unlikely

Gar Shadowfame:

Its weird rummor, as it uses some data gw published, there will be new calvary release, and its gonna be summer 2010, and it was called edition 7.1 , gw might rerelease core ed7 with 2 new armies, and sligtly changed rules but its still gonna be 7 ed, since they didnt make new books for beastmen, Brettonia, Ogre kingdowm, Wood Elves, and whats nots, like completely new army in the warhammer world. (cathay, nippon, araby, fimir whatever.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I can’t see what they’d do to make it 8th edition, rather than including errata and clearing up FAQs, but still being 7th edition. I don’t think anything’s THAt severely broken (at least not in the main rule book). If they do, I get the idea that GW has become far more money grabbing than the customers could handle. Let’s hope it’s worthwhile :smiley:

Grimstonefire:

Its weird rummor, as it uses some data gw published, there will be new calvary release, and its gonna be summer 2010, and it was called edition 7.1 , gw might rerelease core ed7 with 2 new armies, and sligtly changed rules but its still gonna be 7 ed, since they didnt make new books for beastmen, Brettonia, Ogre kingdowm, Wood Elves, and whats nots, like completely new army in the warhammer world. (cathay, nippon, araby, fimir whatever.

Gar Shadowfame
That seems like a big load of rumours, why would GW release a 7.1 edition with new boxed set when they could just do 8th ed?

Gar Shadowfame:

That seems like a big load of rumours, why would GW release a 7.1 edition with new boxed set when they could just do 8th ed?
Firstly cos they called summer wfb campaing ed. 7.1, secondly cos it means they can sell more stuff.

If u repackage old stuf you can sell it second time, ahead of planned 8th edition.

snowblizz:

OK. GW don’t do something.other editions. GW puts out a new edition for even minor revisions. FWIW all three of the latest “editions” of WHFB&40k have been pretty similar. Sure they break one or two things in major way but it STILL is such small increments in rules that books still work to 90%. While 5th ed 40k is largely different from 3rd edition it still isn’t a large leap.

It seems fairly certain an 8th edition is coming up pretty soon. Maybe they’ll fix the wordings and add the rules that they had to fix within a week of 7th ed being released (not that they did mind) despite it being a known problem in the 6th ed rules.

GRNDL:

New rules every 3-4 years. They’re on schedule - last one was 2006 ish, IIRC.

nitroglysarine:

I’m glad to hear about a new empire knight plastic, just a bit irritated considering i’ve just finished converting about 6 units of knights, one with two handed weapons, some with glaives, some with ‘enhanced armour’ some with maces.

DANG!!!

and it is way to early for 8th ed.

they should give it to the end of the missing rule books, and then a couple of years, and release a 5mm scale fantisy army of something - kinda like an WFB Inquisitor, to fill up the time??

SteveM:

I’d just as soon they took their time with 8th edition and spend the time updating all army books and really play test well and do a much better job of being explicit and clear so we don’t have to roll a die to find out what the rule is going to be for that game.

The Brain:

but its still gonna be 7 ed, since they didnt make new books for beastmen, Brettonia, Ogre kingdowm, Wood Elves, and whats nots, like completely new army in the warhammer world. (cathay, nippon, araby, fimir whatever.

Gar Shadowfame
There is not always a new army book for each edition. The editions go by the main rulebook not the supplemental army books. 40k is up to 5th edition, Dark Eldar and Necrons are still playing with books from 3rd. So if we go by your logic 40K would be on edition 3.2. Technically Dwarfs have not been done in 7th either, but since their book came out only a few months before 7th, the same for Wood Elves and Ogres, they will most likely not be redone until 8th. The only army that is guaranteed a new book per edition is Chaos, and that is because the developers are in love with them, and lets face it if you can�?Tt play you play Chaos.

nitroglysarine:

but it would be nice if they actually caught up and got all the codexes upto the 7th ed.

but hay, i guess they make more money from a whole new edition.

Bassman:

and lets face it if you can�?Tt play you play Chaos.

The Brain
Ahahhaahhah :D I do not completely agree but yes, there is something true! :) Well, we are not talking about Chaos..... Dwarfs, do not? :|

Just because you made me smile, get some slaves! :idea

Back to topic: I think it is a bit early for 8th edition. Some armies are really old and urge an update before a new edition... and I do not want to read a new rule book....... baaaaah! :P

Gar Shadowfame:

and lets face it if you can�?Tt play you play Chaos
You forgot to add, "Demons of.." , warriors are weak, and beasts even weaker.

Baggronor:

I would assume the whole 7.1 thing is mainly due to the perception that the rules don’t really need much of a change. I would still expect it to be called 8th ed though. I honestly can’t think what needs changing, its mainly just clarifications.

they didnt make new books for beastmen, Brettonia, Ogre kingdowm, Wood Elves, and whats nots, like completely new army in the warhammer world. (cathay, nippon, araby, fimir whatever.
No shelf space is probably a factor too, hence the move towards kits that can be assembled as multiple choices.
Quote:and lets face it if you can�?Tt play you play Chaos

You forgot to add, “Demons of…” , warriors are weak, and beasts even weaker.
Yup, WoC are weaker than in 6th ed, BoC are only a cut above Ogres. Winning using them 2 is a challenge these days. DoC…well we all know about them.

cornixt:

It seems like bad business practise to release a boxset without new rules for the models in it. How many pissed off new players will you get when you update the army book 6-12 months after they have bought the current book to go with their new models?

I’m guessing that they are doing the rulebook a few months earlier than the boxset so that people get the rulebook rather than buying the box with the rules and sell on the models, which cuts into the profits that are thin or negative on the boxset.

Thorne:

I wouldnt be supprised is the possible release would be practicaly the same as in rules with a slightly different front sleve to the rulebooks and the box cover and filling it with considerably less plastic models. Remember we all remember when we got our 80 gretchin and 20 goff orcs with 20 space marrine in the box and how the next boxed set came out with no more than 35 models if i recall correctly. Im certain it will just be a slimming down of the contents of the box rather than a new version.

Grimstonefire:

I'm hearing that 8th edition is a significant "upgrade" to the rules and those pitched battles will become a thing of the past. GW has said in several places that the plan is for WHFB to get a level of support rivalling 40k's. So "Legendary Battles", perhaps a Siege book with accompanying Castle kit? We�?Tve already seen a taste of some of the rules changes with the Skaven book (war machines and blast/template weapons...check it out!).

dosadi
This backs up a couple of rumours (the objectives and legendary battles/ siege supplement).

wallacer:

My immediate reaction is that scenarios might help to balance some of the army book issues, although there are some armies that will do well in any scenario.

Including rules for siege games and legendary battles seems like a good opportunity to sell more figures, so I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t do it.

Grimstonefire:

I actually quite like the idea of objectives as I think it will play down the role of elite builds a bit.  Say for instance you need to hold 3 out of 4 objectives, your deathstar unit suddenly looks a little out of place doesn’t it! :slight_smile:

The other builds that rely on the fact that both players are focused on wiping out key units will be a bit different as well.  Instead of sending elites V elites all the time it may actually force players to break down the power of elites a bit and take cheaper core units.

Cavalry may not be as good for holding objectives either, so the flying circus/ all mounted WoC builds may not do as well.

If forget the exact phrasing as I can’t remember where I read it, but there may be some sort of Empire V chaos supplement from forgeworld.  That would be a good place to include some siege stuff, and who better to make the chaos things than the chaos dwarfs!

As I said though, I can’t remember the exact phrasing, it may have just been vague comments or wishlisting.  Take with a sack of salt at this stage.

wallacer:

Cavalry may not be as good for holding objectives either, so the flying circus/ all mounted WoC builds may not do as well.

Grimstonefire
I thought that too. Taking and holding objectives suddenly makes Chaos Warriors look a whole lot better.