[Archive] 8th Edition warhammer

The Brain:

Ahahhaahhah :D I do not completely agree but yes, there is something true! :) Well, we are not talking about Chaos..... Dwarfs, do not? :|

Bassman
It was an old saying from the good old days at the Baltimore Gamesdays of the 90's. I think now we could amend it to "If you can't play then you play Daemons of Chaos".

slev:

GW have done 4-years (ish) per edition for a long time and codified it ever since WFB4/40K3.

The only deviation was due to the acquiring of LotR, which caused a temporary shift to 6-years for WFB6 and 40K4.

WFB8 is due in 2010, WFB9 in 2014 and so on.

Similarly 40k6 is due in 2012, 40k7 in 2016 et al.

These days the rules require only some massaging rather than a full-on re-write, but it also serves to keep the game looking fresh and modern. This is part of why Codices and Army Books have only need rendered obsolete by new versions of the same book ever since the inception of 40K3/WFB6.

Also, let’s face it, the changes between WFB6 and WFB7 where NOT extensive, and would run to about four sides of paper in practicality. Even if there are no significant changes between WFB7 and WFB8, it’s still a new edition and hence still WFB8, since GW likes to keep things simple.

snowblizz:

I wouldnt be supprised is the possible release would be practicaly the same as in rules with a slightly different front sleve to the rulebooks and the box cover and filling it with considerably less plastic models. Remember we all remember when we got our 80 gretchin and 20 goff orcs with 20 space marrine in the box and how the next boxed set came out with no more than 35 models if i recall correctly. Im certain it will just be a slimming down of the contents of the box rather than a new version.

Thorne
So far most starter sets have been improvements in quality or quantity.
The BfSP set is infinitely better than any of the 4th or 5th edition starter sets. And even the 6th set, even though it might nominally had fewer models than the previous had a much better composition as you get a more varied and useful selection.

Same thing for 40k. The 2nd ed starters set is vastly inferior to the current set. And even the 3rd starter set had much nicer figures than the monopose Orks. And while the 4th ed set might have fewer miniatures (than the 2nd ed set) it provided a good way to use them, introductory rules, and you got more than with the 3rd ed set.
I must say that the new starter sets are much better than the mid nineties ones in quality even though the nominal model count might now be somewhat smaller. Though doesn't BfSP have more models than any of the previous ones?

Cryonicleech:

I’m really excited for the new starter set.

Plastic Boar Boyz, Here I come!

Gar Shadowfame:

Also, let's face it, the changes between WFB6 and WFB7 where NOT extensive, and would run to about four sides of paper in practicality. Even if there are no significant changes between WFB7 and WFB8, it's still a new edition and hence still WFB8, since GW likes to keep things simple.
!!
Changes in actual rules are huge, no proximity, no redirecting charge, changed MR, beast heards that cant claim rank bonuses anymore etc. This changes the way armies are designed for tournaments, + changes the actual balance of power, between them.

slev:

Also, let's face it, the changes between WFB6 and WFB7 where NOT extensive, and would run to about four sides of paper in practicality. Even if there are no significant changes between WFB7 and WFB8, it's still a new edition and hence still WFB8, since GW likes to keep things simple.
!!
Changes in actual rules are huge, no proximity, no redirecting charge, changed MR, beast heards that cant claim rank bonuses anymore etc. This changes the way armies are designed for tournaments, + changes the actual balance of power, between them.

Gar Shadowfame
I meant in actual text rather than in implication, and said implementation only had a large effect on tourney players, leaving the majority with a few tweaks that made the game a lot more simple.
I wouldnt be supprised is the possible release would be practicaly the same as in rules with a slightly different front sleve to the rulebooks and the box cover and filling it with considerably less plastic models. Remember we all remember when we got our 80 gretchin and 20 goff orcs with 20 space marrine in the box and how the next boxed set came out with no more than 35 models if i recall correctly. Im certain it will just be a slimming down of the contents of the box rather than a new version.

Thorne
So far most starter sets have been improvements in quality or quantity.
The BfSP set is infinitely better than any of the 4th or 5th edition starter sets. And even the 6th set, even though it might nominally had fewer models than the previous had a much better composition as you get a more varied and useful selection.

Same thing for 40k. The 2nd ed starters set is vastly inferior to the current set. And even the 3rd starter set had much nicer figures than the monopose Orks. And while the 4th ed set might have fewer miniatures (than the 2nd ed set) it provided a good way to use them, introductory rules, and you got more than with the 3rd ed set.
I must say that the new starter sets are much better than the mid nineties ones in quality even though the nominal model count might now be somewhat smaller. Though doesn't BfSP have more models than any of the previous ones?

snowblizz
40K starters:

2nd ed: 20 Boys, 20 Grotz, 20 Marines, old-school, low-quality figures. Adjusted price £65.

3rd ed: 20 Dark Eldar, 10 Marines, Marine Landspeeder. All as standard, modern, multi-part plastics. Adjusted price £80.

4th ed: 10 Marines, 10 Termagaunts, 5 Genesteallers, extensive plastic scenery, all in standard modern plastic. Adjusted price £60.

5th ed: 20 Boyz, 5 Nobz, Warboss, 3 Deffkoptas, 10 Marines, 5 Terminators, Marine Dreadnought, all in standard modern plastic. Adjusted price £50.

Cheapest ever 40k starter with the best ever figures.

I could go through the same thing for WFB, and it will show something broadly similar.

Kera foehunter:

well we will see there a lot of talking !!

that the point !! gw has no clues what the hell there doing

Khan!:

well we will see there a lot of talking !!
that the point !! gw has no clues what the hell there doing

Kera foehunter
I agree. Warhammer is often wonderful fun, but it's really unbalanced - and any game with more than a dozen rulebooks is getting a bit much. I hope they continue to streamline the rules, although the more books they sell, the more money they make I guess.

AGPO:

Thorne
WFB needs an update more for skull pass than anything else. The starter set dwarfs look incredibly poor next to the orks and marines in the 40k set, especially when pictured next to regular models. OTOH, a new edition wil have sad implications for us - no more incredibly cheap army deal :(

As for the value of starter sets - first of all don't forget that 3rd ed 40k was theonly one to feature one of the'ig book' rulebooks, which at the time cost £25 on their own. For a better comparison between sets, look at what it would cost you to buy the individual minis:

40k 2nd Edition
20 tactical marines - £40
20 Orc Boyz - £24
20 Grotz - £16
Total - £80

40k 5th Edition
Space Marine Commander - £12
Tactical Squad - £20
Terminator Squad - £25
Dreadnought - £25
Ork Warboss - £12
20 Orc Boyz - £24
5 Nobz - £15
3 Defkoptas - £54
Total - £187

A pretty epic saving - for orc players the cost is met by the defkoptas alone. If I were to tke up 40k again, I'd start with marines or orks for this very reason

snowblizz:

A pretty epic saving - for orc players the cost is met by the defkoptas alone. If I were to tke up 40k again, I'd start with marines or orks for this very reason

AGPO
I am now building an Ork army for that very reason. I've always wanted to but never really got into the swing.

slev:

Orks are awesomely fun.

I’ve played Deathskulls since RT!

Swissdictator:

I strongly doubt it. Not all the armies are updated, even the ones fully supported.

Even after BoC there are several armies needing new books: Dwarfs, Ogres, Tomb Kings, Brets, Wood Elves.

You could argue Orcs might be like last editions Dwarfs. First and last books in the edition. I could see them being like that.

I could see a campaign of the level of Storm of Chaos with supplemental rules.

slev:

The thing is that books don’t NEED to be updated every edition, as they have proven, but they also can’t leave too long between books.

The Skaven book’s War Machine rules points to forward compatibility from this book onwards, so they’re putting more and more thought into this. Brets, Ogres & WEs where the last books of 6th, and so forward-compatible with 7th (for the most part). Dwarfs where the last book of 6th, 7th was written and this was designed for it.

Logically, we can expect to see TK and/or Brets as the next re-works, followed by whatever is in the box (likely Empire + something) for 8th.

Grimstonefire:

I don’t think that’s logical, I expect the cycle to complete for all the existing armies before they look to start again.

Kera foehunter:

Welll i hope so !! Grims i wish they finsh all 7th addion army first

and at least put the cd army out then the 8th addion

Gar Shadowfame:

ogres definitely need reworking, they are weakest army with a valid book,

slev:

Well, I#ll disagree there Grim, since the TK and Brets are the oldest army books, both pre-dating 7th edition, followed by BoC WE & OK. Let’s be honest, there’s no way they’ll do all of those before 8th is released.

With fifteen armies out there currently, it’s infeasible for them to put out all of them every edition, so some will always be behind, which is why it’s all designed to be backwards/forwards compatible these days.

Grimstonefire:

I didn’t say they would complete them all before 8th. :wink:

I said they would complete the cycle of armies before they start again.

They will only squeeze another one or two in before 8th.

slev:

Yes, but my point is that the remaining books in the cycle are TK, Brets, OK, WE, BoC.

BoC and Brets are the two that have been broken by revisions, while OK and TK are generally considered the ones that need the most updating in general.

The completion before 8th addressed Kera, and a large number of folks who want each edition to be complete and distinct like the old 4/5>6 change, presumably so they can complain about it again…

wallacer:

TK are still a pretty serviceable army. I would have thought Ogres needed an update more pressingly than TK do.