[Archive] 8th Edition warhammer

Gar Shadowfame:

All those armies need updating, i dont see them having chances with VC, DE, DoC, when both players use standard rooster.

AGPO:

I don’t believe there is such a thing as broken lists, only broken players. IMO a list could only be deemed ‘broken’ if it was impossible to pick a balanced, reasonable and yet competitive list from it. In any other senario the player has decided to pick an overpowered force, it has not been forced upon them. The solution is simple in such a scenario - come to a gentleman’s agreement to use more balanced lists, or simply don’t play them.

With the exception of Ogres, there isn’t an army list out there that isn’t competitve when played well. I’ve been playing miniature wargames for 14 years through several systems and editions and in my exprience it is ususally the most skilled player who comes through. There has never been a ‘best army’ in Warhammer.

Every new release in 40k has been greeted with moans of ‘power creep’ as far back as I can remember. The Tau and Necrons especially were thought to be unbeatable and then people came up with tactics to beat them.

Maybe the saying should be changed to “those who can’t play, complain about chaos”

Kera foehunter:

So will the ogre be one of the first groups out in the 8th ??

slev:

Agpo: I think we can agree on that.

The reason the lists where tightened-up so much in 40k-III and WFB-VI because their looser structure allowed such absurd combos that they where broken by our definition.

This has lead to two groups: “Hobbyists” who look for an army with character, cool modelling options, and the ability to build background-suitable armies, and “Gamers” who look to see if there’ s an exploit they can take advantage of in a tournament.

Gar Shadowfame:

There has never been a 'best army' in Warhammer.
What about Demons of Chaos, self playing self winning army?

Baggronor:

IMO a list could only be deemed 'broken' if it was impossible to pick a balanced, reasonable and yet competitive list from it.
DoC. Problem is not the choices, its the basic Daemon rules, they are a massive advantage. Other than that, I agree.
"Gamers" who look to see if there' s an exploit they can take advantage of in a tournament.
I actually think the tournament 7th ed armies look how their fluff says they should look, on the whole. DoC are supposed to be a mixture now, OnGs always have plenty of varied troops, VC lists look like, well VCs, and DEs generally have a couple of elite or cheap infantry blocks and plenty of shooting and magic, again seems very Elfy. They all play in an appropriate fashion for their fluff too. I rather like it. I just want the older books to catch up :)
So will the ogre be one of the first groups out in the 8th ??
I hope not, we want CDs! :)