[Archive] Alessio departs

wallacer:

Apparently Alessio Cavatore is leaving GW.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4606489&postcount=2800

Thorne:

Alessio Cavatore has worked for River Horse for a long while now, He has largely been freelance working for gamesworkshop part time for the last 2 years perhaps its a sign of the times or a larger problem but good wishes to him wherever he designs games.

Grimstonefire:

Seems to me that freedom of creativity and pay are the things that force most designers to move on eventually. Alessio has been doing projects in side companies for years already.

Willmark:

Turn over is common in the games industry.

Time of Madness:

Game designers seem to move on to bigger and better things. He did some pretty good work in my opinion over his time at GW.

Time of Madness

Baggronor:

He did some pretty good work in my opinion over his time at GW.
True, although he did some pretty bad work too. 6th ed Skaven for example...

Tarrakk Blackhand:

This is interesting. I never really followed the actual game designers before. What kind of things did he come up with for GW? (Other than 6th ed Skaven.)

snowblizz:

This is interesting. I never really followed the actual game designers before. What kind of things did he come up with for GW? (Other than 6th ed Skaven.)

Tarrakk Blackhand
He is responsible for all the "charge from underground" rules which plagued 6th ed.

He also made the Vampire Counts of 6th ed.

There were quite a few people expressing relief when he moved over to LotR, he was known as the cheese-monger of the studio.

wallacer:

Apparently Matt Ward is now the Fantasy big cheese at GW.

Thorne:

Oh lord no, Over powered deamons and a dislike boardering on hatred to orcs and goblins totaly cavalier attitude to the races GW currently has. Oh for the likes of Gav Thorpe and Andy Chambers.

Baggronor:

Matt Ward? Pah. Wet behind the ears, a nobody :~

Oh for the likes of Gav Thorpe and Andy Chambers.
Chambers was the king :slight_smile:

snowblizz:

For my money Pete Haines was one of the best game designers.

Thorne:

Perhaps Alessio Cavatore tried to force the issue of Dark Eldar Harlequins Necrons Chaos dwarves and the like to push them into putting as much emphasis onto these niche races as they do often with the Marines?

Grimstonefire:

@snowblizz

I never followed what Pete Haines did in 40k, but I thought 6th ed Dwarfs was very good. Gav for all his faults was a very good fluff writer.

Mat Ward… I’m not sure what to make of him to be honest. I think the character of the senior developer will dictate a lot of the direction of the game as a whole, also whether they bow down to management pressure too easily over things like adding loads of special rules.

Mat ward is probably the best qualified person to write 8th ed though, as I think he’s been involved in writing all the latest rulebooks for all the systems. Hence why so many changes have been borrowed from WoTR and 40k.

Henroth:

I to whom done of less in GW he is to Andy Chambers. :frowning:

snowblizz:

@snowblizz

I never followed what Pete Haines did in 40k, but I thought 6th ed Dwarfs was very good. Gav for all his faults was a very good fluff writer.

Grimstonefire
Well in Chaos circles Pete is lauded for the 2nd 3rd ed Chaos codex. Which might be why I'm biased. But I liked the Chaos one and my friend is very pleased with the Dwarf book. The broken cheesy fluffy one with lots of variation. While not perfect, it really really was full of the essence of Chaos. He fixed every complaint we had with the previous "thin" book, it's rather ironic that the 4th ed Chaos book brought back several of the idiotic things that Pete managed to get rid of.

Come to think of it he hasn't done THAT many books, but they had way more designers then. I may need to check which other books he did.

kerbak:

Oh lord no, Over powered deamons and a dislike boardering on hatred to orcs and goblins totaly cavalier attitude to the races GW currently has. Oh for the likes of Gav Thorpe and Andy Chambers.

Thorne
On my warhammer gorup we really dislike Thorpe´s work... in fact on spanich on it used to be called as Gav Torpe (thorpe and torpe sound alike in spanich and torpe means Dumb, idiot)

I Like the work that Alessio made on 6th edition, but good for him,,, even so Im everyday more afrid of how 8th edition will come

Baggronor:

Well in Chaos circles Pete is lauded for the 2nd 3rd ed Chaos codex. Which might be why I'm biased. But I liked the Chaos one and my friend is very pleased with the Dwarf book. The broken cheesy fluffy one with lots of variation. While not perfect, it really really was full of the essence of Chaos. He fixed every complaint we had with the previous "thin" book, it's rather ironic that the 4th ed Chaos book brought back several of the idiotic things that Pete managed to get rid of.
Pete's codex rocked. The current one made me quit 40k :~
even so Im everyday more afrid of how 8th edition will come
I wouldn't worry too much. GW know how much is riding on it, all the rumours point to good things (for armies and the game anyway, not people's wallets ;P).

Skaven Lord Vinshqueek:

He did some pretty good work in my opinion over his time at GW.
True, although he did some pretty bad work too. 6th ed Skaven for example...

Baggronor
*disagrees*... ;P

Despite the 'Warhammer Armies: clan Skryre' armybook he effectively wrote having had a lot of people being put off by the Skaven, I rate it as FAR better then the 7th edition abomination Jeremy "8 page errata" Vetock came up with. Aside from the discussion whether the new approach to Skaven is fluff-wise correct or not, an 8 page errata for an armybook is something that should NEVER occur... Then again, after the 7th edition armybook was released, I started playing Warhammer QUITE a bit less, so I'm having mixed feelings over his departure.

Greetz

Cryonicleech:

Gah, another one of GW’s vets leaving.

Sad day, sad day indeed.