[Archive] an email reply from forgeworld

Odatria:

I thought I’d share this with you, I wanted to ask a few rules questions but also about the future of Chaos Dwarfs. This is my email,

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions regarding the chaos dwarf range and rules. Firstly, do chaos dwarfs count as dwarfs for rules purposes such as units with hatred: dwarfs? I believe there is a skaven weapon which affects dwarfs, does this also work on chaos dwarfs?

Second question, the rule for resolute has changed in the latest dwarf army book, no longer giving -1 to charge and pursue moves, and I believe giving a different benefit instead. Should this new rule be applied to chaos dwarfs as well, replacing the rule as written in Tamurkhan?

This brings me onto my third question, about the range and book itself. I’ve just noticed the book is now going out of production, will this invalidate the Legion of Azgorh as an official army? If so will you continue selling the models? And if not, how are we to find our army rules in future, would there be a pdf or online update?

I’m really hoping the book is going because games workshop brings us back into the fold with the End Times. I still have half an army to buy from you and would buy even more if new units were released, but as I’m sure you can understand at this time of year I can’t invest any more money into my army. I would be vastly disappointed if the models went out of production as well. All I’d ask in that case is that we had plenty of notice were that to be the case.

Finally, will the K’daai Destroyer be making an appearance at any point? I’ve been told by you repeatedly, since games day 2013 that it will be just around the corner but it has yet to show it’s face.

Many thanks

And Forgeworld replied almost instantly with this:

Hi,

Thank you for your email.  the answers to your questions are as follows - 

1. Chaos Dwarfs are a completely separate race and do not count as dwarfs with regards to rules effecting dwarfs, or items which effect dwarfs like hatred towards Dwarfs, or with theSkaven Magic weapon.

2. Chaos Dwarfs still use the -1 to charge and pursue moves from the rules in Tamurkhan, they do not use the new rules form the current Dwarf Army book…  See answer to question 1

3. The Tamurkhan book is not being reprinted as we need to see what happens with the End Times being released by Games Workshop.  this doesn’t invalid the Chaos Dwarf list at all.

4. The K’daai Destroyer is currently on hold and we have no release date for it, or when it will be completed.

If there is anything further we can do to assist you, or if you have any queries about the information we have requested or provided, please telephone us.

Regards,

Forge World

Make of that what you will.

sam585:

So I wonder what Forge World will say if End Times goes and wipes the dark lands off the face of the planet.

Additionally it leads me to believe that GW changed the old Dwarf rules because they needed to be different from Chaos Dwarfs

TheHoodedMan:

So I wonder what Forge World will say if End Times goes and wipes the dark lands off the face of the planet.

Additionally it leads me to believe that GW changed the old Dwarf rules because they needed to be different from Chaos Dwarfs

sam585
You could see it from another point of view.
The End times describe the process of the sweep. There are a lot of battles to fight in this process.
The Vanilla Dwarfs were just boooring to play and to play against. There are a lot of Dwarf fans out there who played them despite of that. But they definitely needed some changes.
The Chaos Dwarf don`t need this really.

MadHatter:

Thanks for sharing man, sendt you a couple of slaves.

MadHatter:

3. The Tamurkhan book is not being reprinted as we need to see what happens with the End Times being released by Games Workshop. this doesn’t invalid the Chaos Dwarf list at all.

This answer indicates, to me, they have future plans for the Chaos Dwarfs range.

Dear Forgeworld (if your reading this) for the new armylist I wish for an Ancient Lammasu that is to the regular one what the Bale Taurus is for the Great Taurus, perhaps another point in T, lvl 3 shadow and a 5+ wardsave, please? Also adjust the cost of the siege-giant and bring back the options to include them Black Orcs again. Also please include Admirals carnivorous hat as a magic item, also please fix the size of the bullcentaurs. Oh, oh, oh, don’t dare take my chalice away. :hat off

torn:

I think it looks bad, but maybes because im used to it being bad. Best case scenario, a new full army book, plastic box kit releases, black orcs back, plastic hobgoblins, loads of cool new units.

Odatria:

Well here is what I took from their answers as written;

The K’daai Destroyer is on hold. That means it will be here eventually.

They don’t know when it will be completed. That means it’s not finished, early this year they said it was ready. That to me means they’re changing it, or at least planning to. That means working on the Forge.

Tamurkhan is going only because of the End Times. Well, the End Times has led to phenomenal interest in fantasy, way more than gw expected and printed books for. This can only be a good thing if they are considering redoing chaos dwarfs after end times in some way, and fantasy is looking popular again.

Not from the email, but also backing the above. Warhammer monsters have been disappearing as they apparently close down the Forge. Nothing from chaos dwarfs has yet to go. In fact they recently restocked the Skullcracker.

And finally, Chaos Dwarfs are not Dwarfs. So…what are they, just Chaos? :wink:

Bloodbeard:

Thanks for asking and sharing.

Question 1 and 2: nice consistency from FW. They have given the exact same answers before. The ‘different’ race answer is fine and a good excuse for not updating the rules. As stated many times ‘not before 9th and only if needed’. Also see question 4.

Question 3: I can see why. The Thamurkhan campaign is set in Warhammer past, but the book still has rules for ‘current’ warhammer stuff. Tamurkhan must be able to stay ‘canon’. So it would be stupid to get 1000s copies printed before knowing wear it’s going.

Weird thing is: The answer implies that there aint much sharing between GW and FW.

Question 4: Same answer as earlier. Warhammer Forge is on complete hold (official answer) until Horus Heresy is done. So no sculpting, mould making etc. Filling current stock with best sellers is sonething else.

Red Skullz:

Yeah I read that as a positive reply as well. ET also opens up a lot of exciting possibilities for FW. They can now make books that are mini campaigns under the ET roof and continue to tie in cool stuff like they like to produce. Awesome monsters and heroes & villains.

BABIS:

Weird thing is: The answer implies that there aint much sharing between GW and FW.

Bloodbeard
sadly true..

Admiral:

FW have always functioned like a little satellite kingdom of its own, so the lack of sharing between GW and FW isn’t too odd. However, GW might not yet even have decided fully what to do with WHFB come 9th edition, and might use the End Times and the reception of it as a pointer for the future path of WHFB. So there might not be something fully decided to share. Or it might not be necessary to share with FW until all has gone official, since FW is preoccupied with Horus Heresy and not sharing could reduce risk of rumour leakage.

Zuh-Khinie:

I’d be surprised if GW hasn’t finished 9th already… one of the last dwarf armybooks had a copyright date 3 years prior to its release.

The whole GW-FW thing is just an example of bad communication, or that’s my guess at least.

Zuh-Khinie:

I’ll have to make an awkward inquiry as to which one it was (since my dwarf books are at my dads), but yes…

And I wouldn’t be surprised that a new wood elf and bretonnia book are gathering dust somewhere in Nottingham.

Zuh-Khinie:

...er....Zuh-Khinie. Don't you know there is a new Wood Elves book out since April 2014!

Ah you mean the long time rumored combined Wood Elves/Bretonia Army book?!

Herby

Sorry, I meant to say beastmen...
I have no hopes for a a combined WE/Bret book, seeing as WE will go off to fight alongside their cousins in the End Times. Especially also since Alariel isn't the Fay Enchantress anymore (due to her slowly dying). Could be the Everqueen takes over, but who knows?

Speaking of which, according to the manager of my local GW store, the fluff'll stick this time, and 9th will probably be set in the new setting.
Sales for Warhammer had been going thus slow, that they decided to flip everything upside down, and
interest has spiked again, with WH outselling 40k in the Northern-Europe region... or so the manager stated.

stellaKntrL:

GW is after tha moneyz. Right now, CD are making tha moneyz for FW along with Horus. So I think the CD will find their own home somewhere in the end times. Mabye the end times will make them faster at charging and pursuing!?! Heck, I would run quickly as well with all the #$#t goin down.

Veshnakar:

Just got my own reply for what it’s worth.

“Thank you for your email. Due to the changes with Warhammer Fantasy by Games Workshop and the end times, we will have to wait to see how all this progresses. This is why we are not reprinting the Tamurkhan book, as it would not make sense to produce several thousand books that are outdated due to changes in the game. This doesn’t invalidate the Chaos Dwarf Army list in there.”

Yodrin:

With all the mail response by FW, I am optimistic. I think/hope they awaits what happens with 9th, and the start rolling out some new models and maybe a full CD list in CD book exclusive.

Its said before, but it strikes me that FW and GW don’t cummincate, or at least is seems like they don’t …

snowblizz:

Sorry, I meant to say beastmen...

Zuh-Khinie
Beastmen book was released in February 2010 and has a copyright for 2009, with a few months lead time isn't particularly egregious.

MadHatter:

The vibe I get when rereading these replies are positive while just a couple of months ago the vibe carried the polar opposite charge, what was “dead between the lines” is now instead “slightly shivering”, life my brothers! Now, call me to mad for my hat, the crystal ball is clear and it says “More Chaos Dwarfs will come from Forgeworld”.

EDIT: Wuwuwuwuwu

Mivrash Faz:

The vibe I get when rereading these replies are positive while just a couple of months ago the vibe carried the polar opposite charge, what was "dead between the lines" is now instead "slightly shivering", life my brothers! Now, call me to mad for my hat, the crystal ball is clear and it says "More Chaos Dwarfs will come from Forgeworld".

EDIT: Wuwuwuwuwu

MadHatter
:hat off Yesssss....