[Archive] Another classic GW move

Grimstonefire:

From Dakka (a newsletter that has just gone out apparently):

For the reasons set forth below, Retailers are not permitted to remove GAMES WORKSHOP

product from its original packaging or otherwise break such products into components prior to

resale. In recent years, GAMES W ORKSHOP has observed a practice among some Retailers in

which GAMES W ORKSHOP products are removed from their original packaging for the purpose of

reselling separately individual, unmarked components. This practice is now prohibited for the

following business reasons:

Protection of Brand Image: GAMES W ORKSHOP�?Ts original packaging, which

bears GAMES W ORKSHOP�?TS trademarks and copyrighted imagery, is specifically

designed to be consistent with GAMES W ORKSHOP�?Ts established brand image.

The resale of GAMES W ORKSHOP products (or components thereof) in unmarked

or generic packaging is inconsistent with that brand image and can serve to

devalue the product.

Protection of GAMES WORKSHOP�?TS Intellectual Property: Through its use of

GAMES W ORKSHOP�?Ts trademarks and copyrighted imagery, the original packaging

provides clear and reliable identification of the product as a genuine GAMES

W ORKSHOP product. The sale of GAMES W ORKSHOP products (or components

thereof) in unmarked or generic packaging, if left unchecked, can be injurious to

GAMES W ORKSHOP�?Ts intellectual property rights.

Avoidance of Confusion: The resale of GAMES W ORKSHOP products (or

components thereof) in unmarked or generic packaging also can lead to

confusion as to whether the product being sold is a genuine GAMES W ORKSHOP

product or a generic imitation. Such confusion is detrimental to the GAMES

W ORKSHOP brand and the intellectual property rights that protect it.

Ensuring Proper Labeling: GAMES W ORKSHOP�?Ts packaging and labeling is

specifically designed to inform the Consumer as to the contents, quality and

safety of the product he or she is purchasing. When GAMES W ORKSHOP products

(or components thereof) are sold separately in unmarked or generic packaging,

the Consumer does not receive this valuable labeling information at the point of

sale. Preservation of the original packaging and labeling prior to resale,

therefore, ensures that the Consumer is receiving accurate and reliable product

information.

Uniformity in Product Configurations: GAMES W ORKSHOP products are

packaged and sold in certain configurations designed to appeal to the Consumer

and maximize the marketability of the products. Such configurations are an

integral part of GAMES WORKSHOP�?TS marketing strategies that drive consumer

expectations. The resale of components in unmarked or generic packaging

undermines those strategies and the ability of GAMES W ORKSHOP to offer a

uniform line of products to the marketplace.

FINAL 15 MARCH 2013

To the extent GAMES WORKSHOP, in its sole discretion, should manufacture, package and

label individual product components, GAMES W ORKSHOP may make available such individual

components for resale only as originally packaged and labeled by GAMES W ORKSHOP. For the

reasons explained above, Retailers are prohibited from removing any individually packaged and

labeled GAMES W ORKSHOP components from their original packaging for the purpose of reselling

such individual components to Consumers.

Time of Madness:

Wow interesting…so they are now focusing on the sellers sellng bits/bitz.

I’ve also heard of retailers taking items out of the box so they could list the contents as “used” which makes a difference for taxes/customs.

Time of Madness

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I heard this was coming a few days ago. GWs biggest competition is apparently online sales and Ebay resales. They’re trying to control the leaking ship. Which I don’t blame them for at all; I’m just skeptical this is going to work.

Grimstonefire:

Hmm… So could this be a move to get around those retailers posting ‘used’ models to australia and the like?

Kera foehunter:

looks fake to me…  what  game w orksite…   i count 18 times it being said sorta like a scam letter.

GeofreyShank:

Wait what? So no one can resell Games Workshop stuff now? How can you possibly police this policy? Are they trying to look bad? As an Australian I don’t really see what our nation has done to get the royal screw from GW but this is another nail in the coffin for me.

Animatone:

WTF Cotton… WTF…

This is hilarious! I mean seriously… Why penalize the players with this garbage? Why not just up have the retailers pay a premium to have rights to list bits for GW products? I mean I’m sure the cost will be passed on to the players/consumers none the less even if they were to do this, but to outright ban the sale of bits is a big kick in the teeth to all hobbyists out there. Why this IP hell-raising, what’s the motivation other then trying to up sales and margins, which this won’t even achieve in the slightest? Do they seriously think people will buy an entire kit just for the bits? People will just list the stuff as used of course if they were to do that. And after all hasn’t GW even considered that their retailer purchases will drop off if they were to do this? I’m certain retailers order far more product then they would otherwise from GW just because the sale of bits is so strong. GW is going to eat it on this one if they really pursue this in typical GW fashion.

This totally sucks! Plain and simple.

gIL^:

This is probably the stupidest thing ive ever seen.

GW are targetting gamers who want a custom and built army.

I personally think this is going to hurt them big time, Already the pirating of GW products is growing, What happens when you cant get a certain bit? and a Pirate can?

Recently i bought stuff from Bitzbox, Does that mean this guy will shut down? And then where do i get my bits?

I think GW get what they deserve.

Kera foehunter:

If you want something bad enough . Some one will have it. gw is like a big wind that blows

it make alot of noise and shakes thing up then it gone.

GW need us we don’t need them. and there seeing it .

zobo1942:

It seems that the simple solution is: retailer sells product at their cost to person ‘x’. Person ‘x’ resells product. Of course, the retailer and person ‘x’ are the same individual.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

The way it was explained to me by my LGS owner was GW will not ship to stores that discount online. It isn’t targeted at you and me though it may be targeting bits sellers (not sure).

GRNDL:

If they didn’t want this to happen, perhaps they shouldn’t have castrated their own bitz service… GW are their own worst enemy, IMO.

cornixt:

It only affects those who buy wholesale from GW to split the models into bits. A rather silly angle to take on things though, since they shut down their own bits service - unless this is a precursor to starting it up again.

Kharnak:

Love the game, the company though…

I believe I stopped subscribing to their monthly catalog four years ago, it used to be a hobby magazine.  Don’t make me think back to the things they’ve done over the years to tick me off…

LONG litany…

gIL^:

It only affects those who buy wholesale from GW to split the models into bits. A rather silly angle to take on things though, since they shut down their own bits service - unless this is a precursor to starting it up again.

cornixt
If they bring back the bits service i would be super happy :hat off

Your move GW.

bigdark:

I believe this is legit, the Bitz Barn’s Facebook feed has made mention of GW contacting them and the possibility of them not selling bits/bitz anymore.

Would be a shame, I have enjoyed shopping around for low priced bits that I want from the different sellers and bidding on cheap ones from eBay stores too.

Seems the best way to put them out of business would be to sell bits at the better price and win the game by means other than cry-baby lawyer-bullying.

Baggronor:

I often struggle to think what else they could do to alienate their customer base, but they always seem to come up with some new and inventive method of making themselves look like douches.

Willmark:

I often struggle to think what else they could do to alienate their customer base, but they always seem to come up with some new and inventive method of making themselves look like douches.

Baggronor
Anyone surprised by this?

The douche level of GW is laughably high. I have more then enough bitz GW so here is a middle finger for ya. Also way to go by alienating new customers, but hey got some nice kewlz space marines for ya!

cornixt
If they bring back the bits service i would be super happy :hat off

Your move GW.

gIL^
No they apparently expect you to by another highly overpriced box to use for bitz, didnt you know? :hat off

Kharnak:

Lessee, short list…

1. Eliminating their own GT’s, plus when they had them they screwed their own staff.  Not consistent year to year.  Then started leaning on Indy GT’s to let them start assisting…

Prime example, when the Hillbilly turned into Battle on the Beale.  Superior event turning to…

2. Eliminating the Outrider program, motivated supporters going bye bye.  So local support and groups at your corner store disappeared.  Smart!!!

3. Eliminating on-line sales stores.  Yep, no competition for their site, no other online sales for their products.  Sound familiar now?

4. Eliminating their own bitz programs.  I had a massive order in with my local store when they announced this.  I did finally get my order, but GW England had to step in to fill my order.  Since GW USA would not come through…

The key word with GW is ELIMINATE, to save money.  After all, they are a business!  They don’t cater to each of our individual whims. MONEY!!!

Hashut’s Blessing:

This is a second attempt at shutting down the eBay sales, but has more ability to do so.

Genuinely, all it’s doing is stopping people from selling bitz through their own websites. Become a seller on eBay (or similar) and keep doing what you’re doing. It’s a second-hand market that GW have tried and failed to surpress and they have no legal proof that the eBay seller is doing it as a business…