[Archive] [AoS] Age of Sigmar Chaos Dwarfs on Facebook

Doombeard:

The new Chaos Dwarf Age of Sigmar Facebook Group I started is approaching 200 members now, with new signups coming thick and fast. I’m sure some of them are members here already, but I’m also pretty sure a lot are new bloods.

I’d be happy to promote this forum amongst our group and encourage new signups to CDO if there was more support for Age of Sigmar here , but CDO really needs to update and get an AOS section for it to be relevant to the times. Otherwise I can’t see the point.

Can we get the following sections added to an AOS subforum?

AOS Chaos Dwarf News & Discussion

AOS Rules & Discussion

AOS Painting Logs

AOS Events

AOS Clubs and Facebook pages

AOS General

db.

Dînadan:

Is there really a point?  Unless the forums become cluttered, I don’t think there’s any need for AoS specific sub forums, just like how we don’t have specific subforums for Abyssal Dwarfs.

For all intents and purposes, any AoS CD news is just as relevant to generic CD news and is right at home in the current CD news forum, just as generic AoS news fits right in the generic Wargames News forum (after all, that’s where WHFB news always went).  Similarly there’s no real need to split off blogs from the current ones - AoS CD blogs go in the CD blog forum, generic AoS blogs go in the OT blog forum (again, just how WHFB blogs did).  Similarly Events and clubs can all be lumped together regardless of whether they are for AoS, WHFB, KoW or whatever (and in the case of clubs they’re probably not going to be exclusively AoS anyway).

The only one that could merit a seperate subforum for sake of clarity could be the Rules discussion, but even then it could be handelled with tags until it becomes clear that system won’t work.

One area that could use work is perhaps the wiki, with a seperate area for AoS and KoW similar to how Lexicanuum has seperate areas for WHFB, 40k and most recently Warmahordes (only reason I don’t think a Chaos Squat area is needed is because of how little there is on them and how long ago they, ahem, got squatted).  But that can’t happen unless there are active members familiar with the AoS fluff who are willing to write the pages for it.

Quite frankly the reason for the ‘lack of support’ here is due to how few active members are interested in it (whether it’s down to not like the AoS setting, or the rules, or disenchanted with GW, or whatever).  Everyone here has diverse tastes, and unless we get more members who’s tastes include AoS, of course you’re not going to see a lot of AoS focused posts.

I doubt any of our active members are vehemently opposed to AoS, but few are enthused by it, so currently there’s no need to give AoS preferential treatment.  And again, even if more people were, there’s still not much need for it as this is a generic evil dwarf forum where all evil dwarf players regardless of system are welcome.  And to be frank, if all you want is an AoS centric forum, maybe you should join one of the numerous ones out there.

Edit: also, shouldn’t this be in ‘site suggestions’ ? :wink:

Bloodbeard:

We’ve dsicussed subforums for all the systems - and we’ve decided not to make them at the moment.

Here’s the deal: We have players doing [8th ed], [9th age], [KoW] and [AoS].

That’s evil dwarf / infernal dwarf / abyssal dwarf / chaos dwarf lovers across a lot of platforms.

Scroll through our forum and you won’t find a lot of AoS threads in here.

We (admin) have decided not to make a lot of AoS subforums (and for the other systems) because it’ll be very empty in there.

Not having more trafic than we have the above [AoS] tags around here - then it’ll make sense to make subforums, not before.
Hell, should this forum get too filled with [AoS] threads it might just become the standard, and the other systems will get a small subforum as [misc games]

But as of now this is not the case.

Start giving some more AoS back to the community and CDO. I don’t have the least bit of interest in AoS, KoW or 9th right now (because sci-fi and frostgrave is for me). We need:

Updated wiki - write some AoS articles, updated timeline, a page on references between the old setting and the new (hell Hashut survived!)

Join the competitions - or help organize some new ones. Write AoS themed scribe entries (that’s possible in the themes) or AoS models in Golden Hat.

Take responsibilty for making some 2015 community awards (the little medal), so that we may get some awarded to AoS players bringing in a lot of stuff here. Might as well be round bases getting a medal for good work.

… Not wanting to do a bit of work sharing the forum in facebook - because there’s no point. Fuh! I’ve been posting competition updates on the CDO FB page (you could do the same you know), I’ve linked my blog to CDO in all other forums where I post updates, I’ve been linking my blog on frostgrave facebook pages, I’ve linked CDO in kickstarters, I’ve been posting competition results in business FB pages when they’ve donated prizes. I’ve made threads about Admirals awesome work in forum where he isn’t active.

Well I say this then - and to all members of CDO who would love to bring some members here for free!

I will give my slaves to you, if you promote CDO on the internet. Nevermind gamesystem, I love all evil dwarfs! Copy paste your CDO Facebook adverts and call to arms, send me a PM (or in the thread I’m making in a momemt). Be it in the KoW, 9th, Doombeards CDO AoS or the old CDO page.

I will award slaves for adverts in other forums. Mantics KoW forum, beast of war og lead forum! I will give you the slaves!

Bloodbeard out - peace!

Bloodbeard:

Another way to contribute - bring in more acitvity (that might end up calling for a needed subfoum).

Bring back Chaos Dwarf Radio! Get some people together and do some podcasts on AoS, AoS setting, Dawi Zharr in AoS etc. … I for one what listen to that with an open mind - might learn something on AoS.

I’m not spending time on reading up on the setting, because my screen time is prioritized otherwise. But listening to some CD related talk while cooking would be nice.

Or start something new! Chaos Dwarf TV. We’ll make a CDO youtube user and channel. Make some content and we’ll upload it. Introduce AoS rules (with CDs of cause). AoS battle reports (all with CDs of cause). Go from square to round bases tutorials etc. Lots of ideas here.

And there’s slaves and medals in all of it.

Doombeard:

Its not that I don’t want to, its just the forum isn’t really catering for AOS players, so there’s no point. Fair enough, rest my case.

Bloodbeard:

The forum is catering for players of evil dwarfs across game systems (or perhaps not catering to anything other than evil dwarfs) - nothing in particular. Our wiki is written in a time where there as one setting and one system. It’s good times to be an evil dwarf player, we have room for all.

Check out the forum descriptions. Besides the very old “LoA tactics” and “RH tactics” sub forums, there no mention of specific game systems, editions og manufacturers.

Feel like writing an AoS Dawi Zharr tactics for all the unit types. Please do, I’ll make a subforum for that.

Doombeard:

admin can you de-activate my account please

TheHoodedMan:

I really welcome all new players who begin our hobby with AoS and I really think it is not the worst way to begin.

I also heard elsewhere that especially AoS players are more organized in facebook groups. For some topics this is a good medium.

For long term a forum is better from my point of view, but I am not really deep in facebook, so take this as a personal opinion.

I would have proposed special tactic areas threads for KoW and 9th Age (and AoS) a long time ago if I was the opinion that this subforums would have some hits. The tactic section had not much responses even as Legion of Azgorh was at full speed in 8th edition, look at the Daemonsmiths Handbook.

But I hope an AoS tactic section will have some interest and for myself: I would read that :cheers.

edit: ninjad.

Dînadan:

Why should we cater specifically to AoS? Why is it so special that it deserves special treatment?

As both Bloodbeard and I have pointed out, nothing precludes AoS threads from the current forums, so unless things become cluttered there is no reason they can’t go in them.

And again, the reason for the lack of (visible) AoS love is down to the lack of AoS players. Until there are more AoS players active on the forums, of course you’re not going to see lots of AoS focused threads. Similarly, until people start competing in the competitions with AoS entries, of course you’re not going to see a lot of AoS focused entries.

If you want special AoS areas, then bring your AoS friends over and show why AoS needs special treatment. But if all you want is an AoS forum, your better off going to one of the numerous AoS forums out there or making your own; this forum is for all evil dwarf lovers regardless of system.

Skink:

Doombeard, please, post all your links to Age of Sigmar news, and continue to show us your models & conversions! What the admins just tried to say is that there isn’t any dedicated sub-section for ANY game system in these boards! You are free to post your lists in the dedicated sub-section, and we will take a look at them :slight_smile: !

Thommy H:

Unfortunately, any attempt to start AoS discussion around here has, in my experience, led to threads being derailed by the same small group of members making the same basic arguments over and over.

The sad truth is that the response to AoS in online communities was so toxic that only forums that work to segregate AoS threads or police posts very carefully have a hope of preventing every mention of the system devolving into bickering. Dakka, for example, has dedicated sections which are perfectly usable. Warseer, which doesn’t, is a total trash fire.

I don’t blame AoS fans for staying away - unless you know a forum is generally receptive to the game, it’s literally not worth joining. Who wants to have to defend their hobby to haters every single time they talk about it?

Skink:

Dakka, for example, has dedicated sections which are perfectly usable. Warseer, which doesn't, is a total trash fire.

Thommy H
That's very good info Thommy. Do you have any suggestion to implement AoS successfully into CDO? What could be done?

Thommy H:

Basically what I said: either have dedicated sections as Doombeard suggests, or make a policy that negativity will be closely monitored in threads tagged [AoS]. RPG.net uses a system of + and - tags too - so you might have a thread with [5e+] in its title, which lets members know it’s a thread for talking positively about 5th Edition D&D, and those with an axe to grind should steer clear. Likewise, a

TheHoodedMan:

Sounds complicated. I think thread title and tone of the opening post should be sufficient for normal people.

Bloodbeard:

@ThommyH: Aren’t we past that at this time? No AoS hating in this thread at least, only general discussion about forum organization and game/system threads in general.

Only very few posts have been flagged for admins here. Only deleted a few post in Doombeards excellent thread on AoS news and discussion (very long time ago)

Yes, a year ago the AoS discussion drowned in sorrow and hate - when GW stopped support for the old setting.

But I do think people are now beyond that in terms of AoS threads here on CDO.

We’v’e discussed system-subforum in the staff sections. And we’ve decided not to do that. Because with the small traffic

Thommy H:

You’d think, but most AoS threads on here have turned into arguments anyway. With a specific rule (“Don’t be negative in + threads”) you can actually enforce good behaviour.

But without champions for AoS in the staff, it’s unlikely to work anyway.

TheHoodedMan:

Starting arguments is forbidden by forum policy anyway, politeness shouldnt be restricted to "+" threads. I know this is not given in every forum out there. <br>Personally I dont play AoS at the moment, but I did and would read good content on it anytime. There are very good AoS threads in a forum in my home country and I regularly read them because of their extremely good hobby content.

I can`t just see where a special sub forum is needed for it. Do you think that this would improve usernumbers?

Dînadan:

Fairly sure politeness and curtesy are forum rules anyway. Anyone who goes out of their way to troll AoS threads isn’t going to be stopped just because they’re in their own subforum.

I don’t go into AoS threads much, but when I have, I can’t recall much in the way of negativity other than when it first came out. In fact, the most recent toxicity I can recall seeing (but again I don’t go in AoS threads all that much so might have missed more recent examples) actually came from the pro-AoS crowd; back when the orcs were released a couple of pro-AoS got a bit upset because I wasn’t gushing over them and ignored the fact that I said I actually did like a couple of them, that the chosen paint scheme by GW made them look worse than they were and that I liked the concept behind the designs but thought the sculptor had executed them poorly, but all those few pro-AoS saw was someone who didn’t think they were the most amazing orcs ever and interpreted it as me being toxic towards them and AoS.

Skink:

Fairly sure politeness and curtesy are forum rules anyway.  Anyone who goes out of their way to troll AoS threads isn't going to be stopped just because they're in their own subforum.

I don't go into AoS threads much, but when I have, I can't recall much in the way of negativity other than when it first came out.  In fact, the most recent toxicity I can recall seeing (but again I don't go in AoS threads all that much so might have missed more recent examples) actually came from the pro-AoS crowd; back when the orcs were released a couple of pro-AoS got a bit upset because I wasn't gushing over them and ignored the fact that I said I actually did like a couple of them, that the chosen paint scheme by GW made them look worse than they were and that I liked the concept behind the designs but thought the sculptor had executed them poorly, but all those few pro-AoS saw was someone who didn't think they were the most amazing orcs ever and interpreted it as me being toxic towards them and AoS.

Dînadan
Dude, let's not start another debate shall we? Whoever said what is not important. Let us just enjoy our evil dwarfs, no matter the game system. Let the Admins take care of politeness & stuff.

Dînadan:

Err Skink, I’m not trying to start a debate, I’m just giving an example of how the claimed negativity/toxicity/etc is not as onesided as some claim.  My point was that some people jump to claiming that others are being unduly negative just because they’re not gushing over the subject at hand.