[Archive] are chaos dwarves still legal?

torn:

i went into a GW store yesterday for the first time in a while, and you get the usual ‘so what army do you collect’ and of course i mentioned chaos dwarves.

he seemed to think that they no longer counted, werent legal at all etc, and for some reason mentioning a mountain falling on all their heads. i just ignored that bit.

Canix:

i went into a GW store yesterday for the first time in a while, and you get the usual 'so what army do you collect' and of course i mentioned chaos dwarves.

he seemed to think that they no longer counted, werent legal at all etc, and for some reason mentioning a mountain falling on all their heads. i just ignored that bit.

torn
Sounds like the sort of thing a dwarf would say:sick,You can always use the minis as counts as even instore .Ravening Hordes is the last official rules that some countries use for competitions also there is the unofficial Dwarfs of Chaos that American GT'S are using.

BilboBaggins:

Since the Ravening Hordes list for the Chaos Dwarfs are legal in 'Ard Boyz tournaments this year (which is promoted heavily by GW) then I would have to say they are still legal.

I have a kid in the store I go to who likes telling people I play illegal armies, he is a loud mouth. They were not illegal (Slayers and Chaos Dwarfs) just not allowed in GW tournaments. I have the 'Ard Boyz rules printed to shove in his face when I see him again. Plus I think he’s mad because people like playing me and my painted armies.

snowblizz:

i went into a GW store yesterday for the first time in a while, and you get the usual 'so what army do you collect' and of course i mentioned chaos dwarves.

torn
That's when you reply: "Listen kid. My models are older then you are, tell me my army is illegal one more time and I'll be forced to bring out the slipper, *grumble* whipper snapper".

Baggronor:

Plus I think he's mad because people like playing me and my painted armies.
Painted armies?! In this hobby?! Crazy! ;P

The only thing I hate more than a badly painted army is an unpainted army. And by badly painted, I mean zero effort not lack of ability.

CDs are legal in some places, illegal in others. They aren't allowed in the GW GTs at the moment for example, but non-GW tournaments may well allow them.

BilboBaggins:

GW GT’s?

There are none in America that I know of, but they are hyping 'Ard Boyz and they are legal there.

Baggronor:

There are none in America that I know of, but they are hyping 'Ard Boyz and they are legal there.
They still run them here in the UK. Tbh I was very surprised they stopped doing them in the US. The RH list was removed from the list of armies usable about 2 years ago at them, annoyingly. Use CDs wherever you can!! :)

BilboBaggins:

They are more afraid of lawsuits in the USA. :smiley:

Grimstonefire:

I must admit I find the legal/ illegal official/ unofficial thing really annoying, it’s why I play as dwarfs almost all the time.

When people say ‘illegal’ it’s like saying you’re breaking the law or something. :~

IMO the RH list is no less ‘official’ than it was at the start of 7th.  Each new book that comes along is no different, and the passing of time makes no difference really.

It’s a really grey area really, as there is nothing saying it ever became unofficial.  My response to the doubters when I do play RH is to ask them to produce anything saying it is illegal in friendly games.  When that day comes I will happily stop playing that person. :wink:

BilboBaggins:

I’ve gotten into saying "They may not be legal in GW sponsored tournaments but that doesn’t make them illegal in friendly games."

Of course I take two unsupported armies with me to play.

Swissdictator:

I’ve taken Chaos Dwarfs to tournaments at the Chicag Battle Bunker and the Rockford, IL GW store. Plus all other tournaments around here allow them.

Anyone wanting to ban them is just really a coward and afraid to face them! :stuck_out_tongue: Unless you’re playing 'ard Boyz style Chaos Dwarfs, they’re not that harsh. Just different.

The Brain:

The whole legal/illegal thing is subjective. The only time that a list can be illegal is when you are participating in an organized event, such as a tournament or a campaign. In those events it is up to the event organizer what lists will be allowed. If they wanted to ban Vampire Counts that would make them illegal to use, but it is up to them. In a store pick up game or friendly game it is strictly between the players. The core rulebook states that the game is about fun, and to do what you want, as long as both players agree. If you and a group of friends want to get together you can play what ever you want. At my local bunker we have a group of guys that come up every now and then and all they play is 3rd edition 40K. They don�?Tt care that the rules have changed they just have fun playing the game. Nobody bothers them and nobody cares. If somebody wants to play your CD they will, if they don�?Tt then you can�?Tt force them they are just poor sports. However the same goes for any other list. I have seen a few people at the Bunker that refuse to play against Daemons or Dark Elves. Out side of an event there is no such thing as a legal/illegal list. The term legal implies a rule or law. If you and your opponent decide to play CD what law has been broken. There is nowhere in the rulebook that says this army will be allowed in this situation, remember it�?Ts about fun.

Bazil:

GW has become completely ignorent as of late, My friend was needing to buy a Disc of Tzeentch for his Daemon army, so we drove to our local store to go pick one up. There wasnt one there and the Staff member said it is only available through Bitz order. I of coarse asked if he would be able to order just the Disk and not the Sorceror like we used to be able to through the Bitz orders. the Staff member procedede to tell us that they no longer do that. I then said something like ‘Well why do you call it Bitz order then, GW in all its infinite wisdom should be able to find something better to call it than that’ He then walked away.

It just goes to show that what I have seen with GW the Cost has gone up and the Quality of the miniatures but customer satisfaction is going down.

As for people not facing Daemons or Dark Elves they arent that bad. I have fun facing Daemon Armies with my Undead the game is either decided in the first 2 turns or will go on and on. The new Lizardmen have a problem where you can wield a ridiculous amount of Stegadons, and their almost unstoppable hero.

@Grim do you use the regular Dwarf army book when not allowed to use RH? like if you play at a GW store. I cant imagine a battle bunker being as bad cuz they dont follow as strict of guidlines

cornixt:

The whole “illegal” thing is based on what GW says is balanced. Anything that GW thinks is balanced is “legal” and part of the rules. A consistant and neutral authority is needed for competitive games, and GW is the easy one to fall back on. Some gaming clubs also use things like the Direwolf FAQ or they have their own rulings. Works well within the club but may cause problems outside (and is manipulated by people claiming that a rather dubious interpretation of a rule is what they always use).

GW had a page on their website when 7th came along which asserted that Chaos Dwarfs were still a valid army for this edition, so they are “legal”. We really should have taken a screen shot. But if the list is good enough for the GW Ardboyz tournament then it should be good enough for anyone else.

SteveM:

The Chaos Dwarf army is listed in the 7th edition rulebook on page 265 (page 126 in the BFSP book), that should mean legal in all regards unless expressly excluded by tournament rules or until GW posts errata removing the CD from the 7th edition rule book.

Willmark:

Really it is kinda a weird question anyways since it implies the whole tournament mindset which I could really care less about TBH.

Hopefully GW gets off their collective rear ends and does somethings mart like release them.

wallacer:

he seemed to think that they no longer counted, werent legal at all etc

torn
Seems unjust that you should have to suffer for someone else's ignorance.

Baggronor:

torn Wrote:
he seemed to think that they no longer counted, werent legal at all etc

Seems unjust that you should have to suffer for someone else's ignorance.
Yeah that sort of attitude seems to be common among some GW staff. They usually shut up when I deploy my army :)

BilboBaggins:

Well when I went to the store today the idiot who goes that my armies were illegal was playing his Dark Elves (2k game 2 Hydras) vs the resident power gamer playing his Empire (War Altar, Steam Tank) army.

His thing about the Chaos Dwarfs is they don’t have a book with rules for him to read, he has a bias against printed copies of the pdf. Of course I pointed out that I had the book called Ravening Hordes with the rules, but he still won’t play them.

Now I wanted to play today and one of the two people with fantasy wouldn’t play either of my armies. So I ended up going against the power gamer, and quickly remembered why I hated playing him. He brought out a VC army that generated 14PD in a 2K game against my Slayers with only 4 Doomies, a lord, BSB and another hero. He had Manfred and 3 Vamps and Blood Knight. Whoever came up with the bright idea that the Invocation can bring back Blood Knights and Grave Guard should be thrown in the deepest dungeon and fed bread and water until they get the idea that certain things should not be allowed.

The Brain:

Well when I went to the store today the idiot who goes that my armies were illegal was playing his Dark Elves (2k game 2 Hydras) vs the resident power gamer playing his Empire (War Altar, Steam Tank) army.
He had Manfred and 3 Vamps and Blood Knight. Whoever came up with the bright idea that the Invocation can bring back Blood Knights and Grave Guard should be thrown in the deepest dungeon and fed bread and water until they get the idea that certain things should not be allowed.

BilboBaggins
These are the things that you get when you let GW make the call on what is balanced. You need some more doom seekers my friend.