[Archive] Artisan's Contest XVII

Bloodbeard:

"War. Terrible war has befallen the world, and everything is in flames and ruins. As great works are toppled and defaced by ravening hordes, the survivors retreat to higher ground and thicker walls to stave off their foretold and horrifying fates. For these are the End Times, and creation itself quake and roar with the agonies of death.

War and disaster has befallen the accursed Dark Lands on a titanic scale. The bale Chaos moon Morrslieb has at last died, its corpse broken into shards that speared and crushed uncounted lives in the Dark Lands. The hulking Ogre race has left its mountain homes to the east, and now sweeps west, into the dark empire of the Dawi Zharr. When the feared Grimgor Ironhide arrived with his Beasts Waagh!, all hope was lost for the ancient ziggurat capitol of Mingol Zharr-Naggrund. The fierce hordes broke through the mighty gates and crushed all before them, razing the city of pillars and pits while freeing its long-suffering slaves to rise against their cruel masters. The Chaos Dwarfs fought as though they were possessed by Daemons, yet still they were doomed.

As the vile beasts of the world rampage through the streets of Zharr-Naggrund, can the surviving Chaos Dwarfs defend their dread domain and stave off extinction? They were always great builders, erecting massive monuments in honour of their Bull God and the megalomania of their priesthood rulers. Now, they must build like never before to survive. Their dark ranks of metal and muscle close behind barricades and battlements to save the last of their kind in this final hour. If there are to be any hope for the mightiest of sorcerers to join their Dark God and escape the looming doom of the world, then their warriors must build walls and defend them with their lives to buy their callous masters enough time to escape. Perhaps they would even take some lowly minions with them, should they prove their worth through ingenuity in constructing and holding defenses that can withstand the dire tides of death and destruction…

This is the last stand of the dreaded, ancient race of heinous sacrificers, cruel slavers and demented craftsmen known to the world as the infamous Chaos Dwarfs. They call themselves the Dawi Zharr and they will not go down without one hell of a fight.

Such is the plight of the Blacksmiths of Chaos as the world comes crashing down."

Welcome to Artisan’s Contest XVII!

Continuing our succesful series of End Times inspired competitions, and with chance of one more competition before 9th edition hits us, the theme for AC XVII is:

Chaos Dwarf Terrain - End Times Fortifications

War is everywhere in the Warhammer World and for the first time in centuries the Dark Lands is under siege, its former masters not in complete control of the ash filled lands. Zharr-Naggrund was destroyed when the former slave Grimgor Ironhide Incarnate of Beasts led an invasion of greenskins and ogres against the Dawi Zharr capitol.

This contest is unrestricted in terms of scope - as long as your entry can be classified as a piece of Fortification Terrain. Anything goes from a make-shift wooden barricade thrown together in the streets of the hobgoblin slaves quarters, a Chaos Dwarf outpost in the ash wastes, a bunker system for surviving Morrslieb metorites or The Black Fortress itself!

Perhaps you can find some inspiration in the recently held Scribe’s Contest III - which describes the End Times hitting the Dawi Zharr in grusome detail! Or you can find some inspiration on the CDO wiki (an often overlooked tool): [[Chaos Dwarf Fortress]], [[Gates of Zharr]] or [[Black Fortress]].

Prizes
DAGabriel has been so kind to donate some models from his collection and thus there’ll be a nice 3rd edition prize for the entire top three!

1st place will recieve a Bazooka Team:

2nd place will recieve a Barin Spikehead:

3rd place will recieve a Lufin Bristlebeard:

But this is not all! The nice people over at Greenstuff World have decided to make three donations as well. Three randomly chosen participants will receive a Texture Pin Roll, for making great looking bases and patterns in greenstuff. Here’s a few examples:

Deadline

The deadline for the submission of entries is June 22nd 2015 at 11:59pm EST.

That’ll give you a full 6 weeks to build some exceptional fortifications and even the busiest of hobbyists will have time to build a decent entry and expand his terrain collection.

Rules of the Competition

Each member may only enter once.

Submissions should include four pictures. No overlaid words of explanation or photoshop effects in your submitted photos please. They have to speak for themselves. You are allowed to place your entry on your gameboard and use whatever background you like.

No posting of entries in the forum until after the winners of ACXVI have been announced, and you can’t have shown any of the pieces in their finished form elsewhere before.

Terrain pieces entered are not allowed to include models, so no adding Forge World Magma Cannons to your towers. However elves drowning in a tarpit, ancient skeletons spiked on spears, petrified sorcerers in a wall and the like are allowed.

Furthermore your entry pictures are allowed to include up to 2 unpainted (or primed) infantry models, purely for showing the size of your entry.

How to Enter?

Submit your entry by sending a PM to Staff (a special user that all Staff have access to) with four photos of your entry. Please do not send PMs or e-mails to any of the admin or staff accounts as this is a sure fire way to have your entry missed.

Please note that your entry will benefit if the photos are all clearly composed, since voters will base their judgement upon what they can see in the pictures on their computer screens.

Help the staff by cropping/re-sizing your pictures before entering them. A reasonable size is up to 1200*1200 pixels. If we have to resize and crop your pictures, we cannot guarantee the result.

When submitting your entry, make sure to notify the Staff if you have earned a level of the Veteran Medal (given for entering 5, 10, 15 etc Golden Hats or Artisan’s Contests).

One more thing
As we are very happy Greenstuff World has chosen to donate prizes for this competition and has talked off donating more in the future, we would like to help them in return. If you enter this competition, you give your consent to Bloodbeard, that he may upload your entry (and any WIP shots) to Green Stuff Worlds Creative Site, a page where some members has already shared their works. You will of cause be credited with username and a link to your CDO blog/showcase.

How will this be judged?

By the end of June we will post all entries to a new thread and voting can commence!

Good Luck everyone!
The Staff

Admiral:

It’s raining prizes. Thanks to the generous donators! :slight_smile:

Further inspiration sources, apart from the mentioned ones (including tjub’s obsidian fort), can be found here:

Fortified Chaos Dwarf Mine
Walls of Babylon
The Inevitable City
sam585’s castle
kekenda’s Chaos Dwarf Fortress Interior

Bloodbeard:

Very nice links for additional inspiration - thank you Admiral.

Added to the first post as well:

Make sure to notify the staff, if this competition gives you some level of Veterans Medal. Given at 5, 10, 15 etc competitions. Golden Hats and Artisan’s count towards this. Scribe Contest’s do not as that has it’s own veterans medal.

Admiral:

Very good. Will try to enter with something small. I’m sure the talented hobbyists on this site will baffle us with their creations!

A story inspired by this contest: The Chaos Star Fort

TheHoodedMan:

Very nice. I hope that Hashut blesses my mind with something both cool looking and playable :hat.

DAGabriel:

Great theme!

And no, no hint at ninth edition, I am only lacking rectangular bases.

Fuggit Khan:

An interesting theme…I like it!

And please forgive me if I’m missing obvious points, but I have some questions:

Rules of the Competition

You are allowed to place your entry on your gameboard and use whatever background you like.

Bloodbeard
Safe to assume no photo backgrounds, correct?
Rules of the Competition

Terrain pieces entered are not allowed to include models

Bloodbeard
No Lammasu, no Taurus, no war machines, nothing, nada, zip!
Rules of the Competition

Furthermore your entry pictures are allowed to include up to 2 unpainted (or primed) infantry models, purely for showing the size of your entry.

Bloodbeard
I like the idea that they are unpainted…can Hobgoblins be used as the infantry models?

Again, my apologies for asking so many questions :hashut

Dînadan:

@ Fuggit: I think Lammasu and/or Taurii would be acceptable but only if they’re painted/converted to be statues. Regular ones though are out.

Bloodbeard:

Rules of the Competition
You are allowed to place your entry on your gameboard and use whatever background you like.

Bloodbeard

Fuggit Khan
In this Artisan's contest you can do whatever you want. Pictures, posters, a giant painting. As long as you don't include physical terrain pieces not part of the entry or do photoshop magic on a computer. If you can capture it with your camera, it's cool. Though it's of cause still the terrain piece that's in focus.
Rules of the Competition
Terrain pieces entered are not allowed to include models

Bloodbeard
No Lammasu, no Taurus, no war machines, nothing, nada, zip!

Fuggit Khan
This one was hard to describe in the rules. You can put any model on your entry if it's part of the terrain feature. A gold, brass or stone sculpture for example. Wnat to put a golden taurus on top of a ziggurat? Do it!
But you can't put bolt throwers, magma cannons or deathrockets on the entry, we're counting those as individual models. And those should not be in the center of the competitino (and they will be if included).

We could of cause expand the unpainted / primed infantry model to be any kind or number of unpainted miniatures. What do you guys say?
Rules of the Competition

Bloodbeard
I like the idea that they are unpainted...can Hobgoblins be used as the infantry models?

Fuggit Khan

Any infantry model. Wanna include an unpainted hobgoblin bowman on a wall and a soon-to-be-dead unpainted elf below it - fine.

TheHoodedMan:

Any number or kind of unpainted or primed and unconverted models could be allowed from my point of view.

Bloodbeard:

Any number or kind of unpainted or primed and unconverted models could be allowed from my point of view.

TheHoodedMan
Good suggestion. Let's hear what some other people say before chaining the rules.

Fuggit Khan:

Rules of the Competition

Bloodbeard

Fuggit Khan
In this Artisan's contest you can do whatever you want. Pictures, posters, a giant painting. As long as you don't include physical terrain pieces not part of the entry or do photoshop magic on a computer. If you can capture it with your camera, it's cool. Though it's of cause still the terrain piece that's in focus.

Bloodbeard
Okay, another question (sorry), just to clarify:
So people can add a photo, etc to the background...but it should be an actual photo (or painting) physically present and set up behind the model, right?
I don't like the idea of someone using photoshop (or any other digital program) to digitally enter a background in the pics. I feel that would not give everyone an even playing field in the contest if there are digitally inserted background images.
Just my opinion (and I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining)

Bloodbeard:

Rules of the Competition

Bloodbeard

Fuggit Khan

Bloodbeard
Okay, another question (sorry), just to clarify:
So people can add a photo, etc to the background...but it should be an actual photo (or painting) physically present and set up behind the model, right?
I don't like the idea of someone using photoshop (or any other digital program) to digitally enter a background in the pics. I feel that would not give everyone an even playing field in the contest if there are digitally inserted background images.
Just my opinion (and I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining)

Fuggit Khan
Exactly right. So you can out a your poster of the lush green Alps in the background of your hobgoblin fort and snap a picture of that.

Bloodbeard:

DAGabriel has now been added to the list of competition prize sponsors. Thanks again for your contribution.

Admiral:

Good work on clarifying and outlining the picture allowances, Bloodbeard and company. Personally I’m neutral to all of it and will be happy with whatever outcome is reached.

As for walls of Babylon-style fortifications, these fantasy ones look particularly impressing and inspiring:

Of course, there are many other routes you could take with Chaos Dwarf fortifications. Titan Wargames’ bunker-like Dwarf House could be a good starting point or source of inspiration, albeit spikes and bits should be added:

Bloodbeard:

Where’s that fortress from Admiral? It looks great.

Admiral:

It showed up on a “walls of Babylon” Google search, from a thread on some 3D website. Fantastic work on those walls. They’re so detailed it’s easy to cherry-pick bits of inspiration for a terrain project. :slight_smile:

Miasma:

In a shameless plug for my own Project Log there is a nice real world inspiration shot of a temple fortress in post #7

Zanko:

I was some days away and what must I see … an amazing new AC! :hat off

In the moment I have much ideas what to build but every possible fortress is much too huge! :~

So I have to make a new attempt and design a small but cool looking one! :wink:

:hashut

Admiral:

@Miasma: A shameless plug we much appreciate! Would have mentioned your K’daai base plan post above if I had a perfect memory.

@Zanko: You can’t leave this website unguarded two days in a row without it sneaking up with a new contest, eh? :wink:

Good luck finding a working entry! As you say, limiting its size can be key to finishing it in time and doing your idea justice.

As for progress report, the workbench here in Sweden resounds with the labour of churning out a hellish fortification… A decent start already, but still much to do!