[Archive] Artisan's Contest XXVII

Admiral:

[align=center]

“Pull!”[/align]

Zanko Presents: Artisan’s Contest XXVII!

Monument

The goal here is to make one or more monuments for your Chaos Dwarf collection! People can enter with any number of monuments, and likewise you are free to include miniatures not shared online before in a finished state as part of your entry. The field is wide open to craft dioramas surrounding e.g. the building of monuments complete with ramps, teams of slaves, draft animals and slavedrivers, scaffolding and so on; or dark sorcerous rituals taking place on monuments; or battles; or bored guards at duty; or victims being dragged onto altars or into torture chambers. Make a scene out it if you like, preferably with a megalomaniac backdrop!

If you’re looking for ideas, then here are a few just to get the imagination in gear: Ziggurat temple; palace; stele; triumphal arch (Gates of Zharr?); mausoleum, a bronze or stone colossus that also happens to be your army’s big monster; triumphal column; obelisk; clockwork statue; tower of skulls; giant Rune of Hashut floating in the air ; unstable Daemonforged petrified Greater Daemon locked in worldly stone and chained agony; a ruined and toppled monument; macabre display arrangement of flayed skins or bodies or bones; or an idol statue spewing molten lava into a sacrificial pool; or a stepwell leading down to bubbling lava; a Realmgate; or something else entirely. The sky is the limit!

The CDO Staff won’t be picky with what entries are accepted. Instead we expect voters to reward those entries which play to the spirit of the contest theme, as is usually the case.

Still, if you are unsure whether your entry will meet the requirements please PM Admiral.

Prizes

Zanko will reward the gold winner with this scenery piece:

[align=center][/align]

While the silver winner will carry home a kit of 15mm Tjubling Hat Command, sculpted by tjub:

[align=center][/align]

Should you wish to donate a prize to the contest, please PM Admiral and he will sort it out with you and the Staff.

Deadline

The deadline for the submission of entries is the 3rd of July 2019 at 11:59pm EST.

[align=center]
[/align]

Rules of the Competition

Each member may only enter once.

Model and paint monument/s.

Submissions should include up to four pictures. No overlaid words of explanation or photoshop effects in your submitted photos please.

You may not submit pictures of a model that have been entered into other online competitions or posted in a finished state before.

Don’t post your entries in the forum before the contest is over.

See also the General Rules & Guidelines.

How to Enter?

Submit your entry by sending a PM to Staff (a special user that all Staff have access to) with four photos of your entry. Please do not send an e-mail to any of the admin or staff accounts as this is a sure fire way to have your entry missed.

Please note that your entry will benefit if the photos are all clearly composed, since voters will base their judgement upon what they can see in the pictures on their computer screens.

How will this be judged?

Sometime after the due date we will post all entries to a new thread and voting can commence!

Good luck everyone!
The Staff

Zanko:

Very ingenious subject! :hat off

That looks like a lot of work! :wink:

:hashut

tjub:

Cool, better get ready for some terrain making then… :slight_smile:

Would this include an AoS “Realm Gate” as well, or is that planned for some future contest?

Jasko:

Ah, very nice topic for the next Artisan’s Contest! I don’t think I will be able to enter, it’s just too early in my plans to already think about monuments, but you never know, 56 days is a long time :stuck_out_tongue: Already excited to see what everyone will come up with! :hat off

frenetically scoures Amazon for 3D printers

Admiral:

Cool, better get ready for some terrain making then... :)

Would this include an AoS "Realm Gate" as well, or is that planned for some future contest?

tjub
That's a great idea for a separate contest theme! We'll run it in due time, though not too soon after this comp. But yes: This monument contest includes AoS Realmgates as well. :)

And speaking of Realmgates...

Reaver of Uzkulak :

Can’t wait to see the variety of entries this bring in. I’ll have to brainstorm a while… :hat

Kamphre:

That’s a super cool contest!!
Well done Admirable for the countdown, it’s a very good Idea.
And thank you Zanko and Admiral for your generosity !

Admiral:

The countdown is all Jasko’s idea. Will try to make it a habit. :hat off

Uther the unhinged:

Igor. I feel the time has come for a memorial to my modest achievements. A monument perhaps? Subtle and understated like myself. Call the masons. I think I will need maybe one, maybe two thousand. Oh and slaves it will need a lot of slaves. Subtle and understated is, after all, hard to achieve!

Jackswift:

Hmm… Normally an idea jumps out… not here… will have to ponder a bit…

Abecedar:

Must resist. I can feel Ambition stretching way of into the distance. Far outstripping the time frame

Uther the unhinged:

@ Abecedar. Why torture yourself? You know you are going to give in. Resistance, as they say, is futile. Looking forward to your entry alteady!

Admiral:

Obey the call of Hashut, Abecedar. It’s your destiny. :hat off

Will Liam:

I�?Tve just finished the structure and base - now trying to figure out what miniatures to use to help people identify its size - hardest thing I�?Tm finding is how to show that it�?Ts a chaos dwarf monument - any easy ideas would be much appreciated cheers :slight_smile:

Abecedar:

Blood, Lava and slaves

Admiral:

Alright Will, inspiration time.

Adding Chaos Dwarf runes and other symbols (lightning bolts, bull heads, cloven hooves, cloven skulls, bearded skulls, cracked anvils) will go some way.

Carcearion’s Bit Forge provice both examples of icons one could craft oneself, or buy directly from there.

Check out “Terrain appropriate for Chaos Dwarfs” in this company list for architectural inspiration.

In it, you will find for example:

[align=center]

[/align]

Furthermore, we have a lot of artworks in here, some featuring architecture. Check out t5p1ny (Raul Gomes) in particular.

[align=center]

[/align]

The Mesopotamian image salvage contains lots of illustrations featuring palaces, temples (ziggurats!) and fortifications. There are lots of reliefs and details and overall robust design elements to be picked up from there.

Such as stepped crenellations:

[align=center][/align]

Or stuff like this:

[align=center]

[/align]

That is not all. The different Chaos Dwarf incarnations through the ages gives lot of visual clues. E.g. skulls, chains, spikes, fused mass of skulls or screaming soul faces (Hellcannon), mini-Chaos Warrior styles and details used in big warmachines (Forgeworld).

For inspirations to a wonderfully wacky workshop approach, see Nicodemus’ Daemonsmith Forge:

[align=center][/align]

You can also spice it up with columns:

[align=center][/align]

Or put in small figurines. Statues, idols. Daemon figures, Lamassus, small Chaos Dwarfs. Tjublings molten into a wall?

[align=center][/align]

And don’t miss the legendary Chaos Dwarf Mine build!

[align=center][/align]

Some common themes for Chaos Dwarf architecture would include stepped architecture, robust building which gets wider at the base (slender stuff are for Elves!), spiky stuff, skulls, cuneiform and other runic text, statues and idols, industrial works, altars, lava and grotesque remains of victims such as skulls, gibbets, flayed skins and so on.

Just a few ideas, hope that helps give you visual clues. :slight_smile:

Will Liam:

Blood, Lava and slaves

Abecedar
Wicked - might use all 3 - at least 2 of them cheers

Will Liam:

Cheers Admiral - l think I�?Tll use one of the columns ideas to help make it more chaos dwarfy as well - thanks guys

Bolg:

Oeh Nice one!

I should (as always) try to enter something just because its fun. Might challange some friends just to make sure I make my deadline.

Uther the unhinged:

@Bolg: Yes Lord Bolg, we must see your monument. Lord Abecedar is already weakening, soon he will join us in the glorification of Hashut.

Following my victorious campaign against the barbarian tribes of Imgur. I am now ready to apply my full attention to this project. A modest memorial of my limited achievements. Nothing tasteless brash or vainglorious obviously. Igor informs me the first few thousand slaves are hard at work in the quarries. So we proceed as planned.