[Archive] Assaulted iron daemon

anima:

Is it true, that an assaulted iron daemon is nearly helpless, if its assaulted itself by cavalry or monstrous beasts/infantry e.g. great eagles? I mean we can´t use our thunderstomp attack against them. In the end we just have 3 strenght 3 attacks. So a great eagle or cheap light cavalry will be able to take it out of the game for let´s say minimal 2 turns or even longer.

Can I use the steam cannonade to perform a stand & shoot reaction? That would at least help to counter an assault, but the skullcracker version will be still helpless. x.x

Thommy H:

Yeah, it’s vulnerable to anything it can’t run over. But that’s kind of what you’d expect from a train. I think it would work better if it did impact hits, then you could crash it into monsters, and you could still give it Stomp hits to represent it grinding over infantry. Ho hum.

gIL^:

Well it kinda makes sense really, An Eagle would rape it if it were RL, Should of gave them a roof :smiley:

Thommy H:

Yeah, it does, but why have a train in your Warhammer army if you can’t run it into a dragon? That’s the kind of thing that Warhammer is for. If you miss opportunities for fun like that because of the rules of the game, then the rules of the game are insufficient for the task.

gIL^:

Yeah, it does, but why have a train in your Warhammer army if you can't run it into a dragon? That's the kind of thing that Warhammer is for. If you miss opportunities for fun like that because of the rules of the game, then the rules of the game are insufficient for the task.

Thommy H
So you want to kill any type of realism and give the ID immunity to flank attacks?

I think CD's fill in a new role, Tech army that has a flank, Use your skill and strategic prowess and face your tanks at fliers.

Thommy H:

So you want to kill any type of realism and give the ID immunity to flank attacks?
I just said I wanted to drive a train into a dragon. It should be clear that realism is not high on my list of priorities when I start playing Warhammer.

khedyarl:

I’ve been running over giants with my Daemon, the d6+2 impact hits at S8 are actually pretty great if you’ve softened up a big monster by a wound or two, first. I can’t think of a non-regenerating monster that can easily soak that many high strength hits.

Though, that said, it is definitely difficult to line up a charge against a monster, having to move 2d6+6 straight forward is a bit of a pain in the ass, and makes the charge pretty easily avoidable by dragons.

Just once, though, I want someone to fail a Chaos-Dragon or High Elf Dragon charge against it from the front. I share Thommy’s enthusiasm for train-punting dragons.

Thommy H:

Wait, does it do impact hits? I thought it was just Thunderstomp…

wallacer:

It does D6 + 2 impact hits.

Thommy H:

Oh. Ignore most of what I said then - I had it in my head that it just did Stomps. That said though, it does work in a really bizarre and confusing way. Why not just make it a Monster? Then it gets the Thunderstomp anyway (representing the grinding attack) and you can give it Impact Hits to represent the speed of of its charge. There 's no real reason it has to be Unique.

anima:

well, the problem is, that I will get my impact hits in the first turn, if I aussault by myself, but not if I get assaulted. So against monstrous beast/infantry or each kind of cavalry, which sums up the fast ones in the game, I can´t perform an stomp attack and there are also no impact hits.

Therefore I ask, whether the iron daemon can stand and shoot to get rid of an assault.

Wifstrand:

It’s definitely worth it, in my opinion, to give the Iron Daemon the Skullcracker upgrade - 30 pts and it means your D6+2 Impact hits and D6 Thunderstomps turn into 2D6 each. Sadly this comes at a loss of the steam cannonade, but really; I share Thommy’s passion of running things over with a daemonically possessed train. If I get even one charge off with 2D6 S8 and 2D6 Thunderstomps at S8, then in some way I will feel like I’ve won. No matter what I’ve charged. The satisfaction of that many automatic, high strength hits should at the very least grant me a moral victory.

khedyarl:

I have no idea if you can stand and shoot with it, Anima. I’ve been playing that you cannot, and I can’t think of a single example of a mini that’s ever been able to stand and shoot using the artillery dice as the number of shots.

I hadn’t even thought about asking that question, until now, actually. Given that the Daemon isn’t a Warmachine, what do you guys think, something for the FAQ?

Wifstrand:

The Wood Elf Treeman can Stand & Shoot with an Artillery dice for it’s number of hits.

khedyarl:

Oh man, you’re right!

So there’s a definite precedant, and no rule stating that we can’t stand and shoot…

That makes the Daemon {assuming this all stands} pretty much unassailable from the front by monsters, then.

gIL^:

I have no idea if you can stand and shoot with it, Anima.  I've been playing that you cannot, and I can't think of a single example of a mini that's ever been able to stand and shoot using the artillery dice as the number of shots.

I hadn't even thought about asking that question, until now, actually.  Given that the Daemon isn't a Warmachine, what do you guys think, something for the FAQ?

khedyarl
Razerdon can stand and shoot.

wallacer:

Anyone who doesn’t like the idea of driving over the top of their enemies with a daemonically possessed train is on the wrong forum.

I think it would have been simpler if it just had grind attacks like a steam tank (presumably “grinding” is more or less what it does when it’s doing it’s thunderstomp attacks anyway, so it’s not like it’s a weird idea or anything).

Vogon:

Well taking a close look at the rules the Iron Daemon is not a War Machine it is a unique unit and does not have the Slow to Fire special rule so I would say yes it can stand and shoot as a charge reaction.

Also the Thunderstomp attack only comes into effect after the first round of combat.

So if your Iron Daemon gets charged, during the first round of combat you only get the attacks from the crew so the stand and shoot all of a sudden becomes a bit more important.

Cheers

Vogon

dromar:

yeah, our demon train can be locked by cavalry, monstruous infantry and so on but remember: it can impact an enemy without charging by entering “accidently” in contact with a foe by moving in his direction.

Spikes:

Hmm, so it’s not too shabby. Keep the cannonade and stand and shoot at STR 8 if you get charged from the front.

Of course, after this happens once to a given opponent, he’ll spend just ONE more turn in order to NOT be in your front when he charges you. Then you’re fcked.

That’s the movement phase for you. A lumbering train!