[Archive] Assaulted iron daemon

khedyarl:

The Cannonade is S6 with AP and d3 wounds, Spikes, not S8.

And really, the train is really maneuverable as long as you aren’t using the 2d6 additional movement - since it’s a single model, it can pivot on the spot, making our lumbering behemoth train one of the most ready-response units we actually have. Which is bizzare.

KramDratta:

IMO it misses one thing: Either change the Thunderstomp to grind attacks or make it able to Thunderstomp everything!

Thommy H:

It should just have some normal Attacks. Impact Hits represent it crashing into stuff and Thunderstomp represents it being more deadly against little things it can drive over. It would work absolutely fine as a Monster with either handlers or riders (like the Arachnarok, Warsphinx or the Ogre mobsters), Impact Hits and an option for Random Movement.

khedyarl:

You know, I don’t think it really needs attacks. It is, after all, a train.

I actually kind of wish it just had a leave to leave combat if it is attacked from the flank, or rear. Just… drive away. You’re a train. just leave.

saurus:

You know, I don't think it really needs attacks.  It is, after all, a train.

I actually kind of wish it just had a leave to leave combat if it is attacked from the flank, or rear.  Just... drive away.  You're a train.  just leave.

khedyarl
+1

gIL^:

So let me get this straight.

If a giant for examples charges the iron demon, Does the iron demon get no attacks except the cd’s and it can’t move out of combat thus getting 300 pts tied up?

T7 and 7 wounds and unbreakable is still great i would love to throw one into a massive unit and tie it up through the whole game, I might end up running 2 together.

Thommy H:

So let me get this straight.

If a giant for examples charges the iron demon, Does the iron demon get no attacks except the cd's and it can't move out of combat thus getting 300 pts tied up?

gIL^
That's right.

nilbog:

Even worse is a wood elf or high elf eagle tying up your iron daemon all game. That flying beasty just made six times its points back.

khedyarl:

Thing with that, is that with a tiny unit of light calv, or an eagle, the odds are in your favour of getting rid of the thing within a turn or two. They hit you on fours, wound on sixes, giving a 4+ save. You hit them on fours, wound on fives, giving no save. They’re not unbreakable, and only have three wounds.

It will certainly screw up your battle line for a bit, but unless you are tremendously unlucky, it’s not game-over for the daemon.

KramDratta:

@Khedyarl: But if they charge you in the flank they’re at +1CR, unless the Iron Daemon can reform.

rabotak:

@Khedyarl: But if they charge you in the flank they're at +1CR, unless the Iron Daemon can reform.

KramDratta
that doesn't matter since the id is unbreakable.

KramDratta:

@Rabotak: Yes, but they’re also less likely to lose combat.

rabotak:

@Rabotak: Yes, but they're also less likely to lose combat.

KramDratta
ah, ok, that's what you meant, fair point.

gIL^:

Wait, Can it thunderstomp sideways? If so the rules are messed up.

gIL^:

Vs

3 Str 3 attacks? Where did the huge giant sized dozer blade go? :frowning:

Imagine how quickly that giant would get minced by those blades.

The Faq will fix it and say it can thunderstomp anything if engaged on the front. Thats what i would do.

Meh whatever i still want 3.

Vogon:

Wait, Can it thunderstomp sideways? If so the rules are messed up.

gIL^
Yes a thunderstomp can work sideways and backwards. The only qualifier is that the unit has to be in base contact.

rabotak:

yup, that doesn’t seem right at all x.x

(we should add gils last post to our FAQ query to underline this problem :slight_smile: )

gIL^:

Would running 3 be cheesy?

2 on 1 flank with cannonades and dakka any threats and 1 skullcracker in the middle marching with the army with its flanks totally covered so nothing can charge it.  ( Perhaps even a unit of hobo chaff protecting the rear? )

Would that work, Because that skullcracker is goin to mince anythin in the front.

PS does anyone make a train sounds sometimes?

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Funny you should mention that.  I hide sound chips and speakers in my big models.  Whenever I fire my Hellcannon, it makes a sound suspicously like a WoW Fel Reaver, my Hydra roars like a Jurassic Park T-Rex whenever it breathes fire, and you gotta know my Iron Daemon is going to sound like a train!  The first time I did it, the tournament I was in almost stopped and every head in the room turned to look at my table. Definitely adds to the fun!

Grimbold Blackhammer

gIL^:

Funny you should mention that.  I hide sound chips and speakers in my big models.  Whenever I fire my Hellcannon, it makes a sound suspicously like a WoW Fel Reaver, my Hydra roars like a Jurassic Park T-Rex whenever it breathes fire, and you gotta know my Iron Daemon is going to sound like a train!  The first time I did it, the tournament I was in almost stopped and every head in the room turned to look at my table.  Definitely adds to the fun!

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
Tell me more, I want to know about sound chips