[Archive] Avatars of War Plastic Slayers!

snowblizz:

It's fine for AoW (or whoever) to take baby-steps when doing this stuff, but let's not all go mental about what an amazing development this is.

Thommy H
Well it is someone other than the market dominator 100-million-dollar-revenue company making a multipart kit that actually reaches the standard I'd consider good. They are many steps beyond Mantic IMHO.
Well, said from the prototype green at least.
Games Workshop was doing this stuff a decade ago.

Thommy H
Yeah and stopped like 3 years ago. And started making single poses again.
I happened to like the 6th ed stuff personally.

Of course any plastic GW kit with arms like this has this problem. Chaos Marauders, Orcs, Orks, Beastmen. etc

Edit: what does seem problematic to me is the waist though. I'd like to see them work on that. And I happen to like Lego :)

Thommy H:

They’re not single pose - single pose is this. The current GW plastics tend to balance posability with actually looking like a real figure rather than an assemblage of pieces. You may get slightly less posability per figure than the 6th Edition regiment kits, but the variety of parts is enough to give a unit that has a lot of variety.

My point about these figures is that they go too far the other way and hence look like those Night Goblins and the Empire Militia kit - lots of parts, lots of poses, but the actual individual figures look pretty poor.

Mantic = Playmobil. AoW = Lego.

Thommy H:

All that said, I like the mohawks being optional. As Xander said, the pieces will be very useful for conversions.

clam:

I also do like the fact that they can be skinhead dwarfs. With a minimum of conversion - you can easily change the beards - and you’ll have perfect CD berserker’s.

Thommy H:

They may also be useful as armatures. Since they’re essentially naked, what you have is really just a generic Dwarf that you can sculpt/stick anything you like onto. Slap a few armour plates onto the shoulders and back, mask over the face and you have a pretty decent Chaos Dwarf.

Grimstonefire:

To be pedantic GW definitely have a trend for single pose models.  Many pieces to add variety, but single pose nonetheless.  If you call single pose as not being able to change anything but the arms.

Looking at clanrats, stormvermin, beastigors, all the recent HE models.

Thinking about this, I can’t remember the last thing they released that you could pose in multiple ways?

nitroglysarine:

Thinking about this, I can't remember the last thing they released that you could pose in multiple ways?

Grimstonefire
Empire militia? .......Space marines??

Grimstonefire:

Yes, sorry I should have added for Warhammer. :wink: Their 40k models are all much more interesting for posing in dramatic ways.

nitroglysarine:

I think it could be the whole ‘need to rank up’ issue, 40K doesn’t have that problem.

Grimstonefire:

My only real issue with most of the rank and file models they’re making of late is that they should just separate the torso from the legs. This would solve a lot of the problems I think and would not make models that much harder to rank. It would take up a little more space on the sprues, but it’s not exactly like they’re cramming that many extra gubbins on these days except for spare arms.

nitroglysarine:

My only real issue with most of the rank and file models they're making of late is that they should just separate the torso from the legs.  This would solve a lot of the problems I think and would not make models that much harder to rank.  It would take up a little more space on the sprues, but it's not exactly like they're cramming that many extra gubbins on these days except for spare arms.

Grimstonefire
I completely agre with you, however this might be GW thinking.
The complete bodies was one of the reasons I was hesitant with the 7th ed Empire models.

-i warmed to them with a scalpel! :D

cornixt:

Yep, easy enough to chop them through the gut if you want to. Arms and heads are the only bit that need to be posable and interchangeable because they are the most noticeable part of the unit. And even if they were all monopose then they could have 8+ different sculpts and most people wouldn’t care about having any posability at all.

AGPO:

I’m rally hoping Felix does marauders next. If there were a fantasy unit in dire need of updating, it’s them

The_Bear_in_the_Hat:

Pretty cool. They will make very easy conversion bases for some pretty nice models. Release dates?

snowblizz:

My only real issue with most of the rank and file models they're making of late is that they should just separate the torso from the legs.  This would solve a lot of the problems I think and would not make models that much harder to rank.  It would take up a little more space on the sprues, but it's not exactly like they're cramming that many extra gubbins on these days except for spare arms.

Grimstonefire
Exactly my thoughts.

Looked at the new DE (Dark Eldar) models in the WD recently. The orgy of posability was astounding.

Nothing comparable in the WHFB world lately. That I can remember anyway.

Baggronor:

I think that many ranked units look better in similar poses. Maybe not great weapon troops, but certainly shieldwall-type units do imo.

slev:

There had been a LOT of complaints shortly after the number of pieces for WFB exploded about ranking-up. It was often the case that, in most cases, the models all ended up posed so similar to ensure ranking-up, that the different stances of the bodies possible with multi-part kits where pointless.

I, for one, am thankful for Clanrats that actually rank up.

This is a good example of GW not being able to win. People complained about the old way, people complain about the new way.

I’d agree thought that the models are NOT mono-pose. A small number of similar stances, perhaps, but mono-pose is something different.

Loki:

they look very cool, might have to get some of them for my slayer army :slight_smile:

Henroth:

There is rumored that Avatars of War’s boxes for Savage Orcs and Chaos Warriors Chosen. :hat off

Fallen246:

There is rumored that Avatars of War's boxes for Savage Orcs and Chaos Warriors Chosen. :hat off

Henroth
Chosen would be fantastic, provided they try to make them look more disciplined/rank-and-file than every model being overly dynamic.