[Archive] Avatars of War Plastic Slayers!

Forged in Darkness:

Personally I am of the opinion that these models (along with most other AoW ones) are made of concentrated awesome and win. I might just get some.

Baggronor:

Naked multi-part figures are basically a sculptor’s nightmare though - the musculature can never add up if the poses can be changed. There’s very few ways to get around it, beyond adding clothes or armour, or simply limiting the range of poses (which is rarely as bad an idea as it sounds imo).

The GW Ogres managed to get away with it rather well, using the lines of the shoulders to break it up. Perhaps something like that might have worked well for these too. Still, nice to see someone apart from GW doing competent plastics, though I fear these may seem obsolete as soon as they re-do Dwarfs; a plastic Ironbreakers/Hammerers set and plastic Slayers would seem the obvious route for GW now.

Grimstonefire:

I asked felix about them doing an upgrade set to turn the slayers into hellcannon style CD.

Hi Grimstonefire,

Thanks for your input.

We are not planning to do “upgrade kits” for AoW plastic sets, at least for now, as we prefer concentrating on developing full sets.

So if we were doing chaotic dwarfs at some point, a full set would be made for them.

However, as you know I very much listen to petitions from gamers & collectors, so if upgrade kits were a general desire, it is something that could definitely be done.

Cheers!

Felix

Grimstonefire:

Looks good to me so far

nitroglysarine:

nice standard, but i fear it defies the laws of tipping for real life.

Zanko:

Not mine!

Imo this standardbearer is boring and all details were seen before!

I’m very disappointed - I believe Felix could design much better stuff, not only “cheap” GW copies!

:hashut

Redhammer:

Well, I never give my slayers a standard anyways, so no loss for me! These models are the only thing I still need to finish off owning all the parts to build my ideal 3000 point Dwarf list! I like these models, and with some of those extra banner bits I suppose my Dawi Zharr will get a spellbook, among some other fun bits. Those severed dragon heads could probably be used to make a cool bolt thrower!

Of course, there is also my urge to now own a slayer army… Chaos Dwarfs before the slayer army, though. Wow… I would totally own three different Dwarf armies if I did that. I totally should do that!

clam:

I’m 110% with Zanko about this. The standard is terrible - and Felix could have do so much better.

Baggronor:

To be fair, it does say that the individual parts of the standard are separate and optional, so presumably you could make a less improbable one. Let’s see a full unit, dammit.

Regarding his style, its kinda ‘GW, but more so’ :slight_smile:

Da Crusha:

Im not a fan of the standard either, but I never field one in my slayer unit anyways

Blue in VT:

nice standard, but i fear it defies the laws of tipping for real life.

nitroglysarine
;P my thoughts as well....I see the scale creep of weapons has seeped into standards as well!
Im not a fan of the standard either, but I never field one in my slayer unit anyways

Da Crusha
+1...I've never understand the idea of a command section with Slayers...just doesn't fit the idea of the individual "suicidal" slayer concept to me...too structured.

Cheers,

Blue

snowblizz:

Da Crusha
+1...I've never understand the idea of a command section with Slayers...just doesn't fit the idea of the individual "suicidal" slayer concept to me...too structured.

Cheers,

Blue

Blue in VT
But you have no problem with them all teaming up in a nice unit for the battle?

It's plastic, don't like the standard, don't use it. Also You don't have to put all that stuff on, it is optional. Great for someone making a BSB type model.

Redhammer:

Them teaming up works since they still have a strong sense of duty. If a king tells them he needs them for a battle, they’ll do what he tells them to do. The banner/musician? Less so, as the point of a banner is it is not supposed to fall, while the point of a slayer is that he is supposed to fall!

Blue in VT:

Da Crusha

Cheers,

Blue

Blue in VT
But you have no problem with them all teaming up in a nice unit for the battle?

snowblizz
I'm ok with the grouping up but believe they should be allowed to use a skirmish formation...with out the resultant HtoH pentalties....kind like the old WE wardancer rules.

Blue

Thommy H:

These are now up for pre-order on the AoW website

Ma-hoooo-ssive weapons aside, I’m still quite excited about the conversion possibilities for these (as they’re essentially Dwarf mannequins as far as I’m concerned) but I’ll wait until I’ve seen some pictures of the sprues before I place an order.

Xander:

Yep, I pre-ordered mine already.

The weapons are really huge. But I didn’t plan to use them anyway. Like Thommy says, these are dwarf mannequins. I might even consider sculpting a conversion kit for these. I am sure that, unlike GW, Felix would welcome the idea.

That said, I will we could get Ishkur, Snotling, or one of our other awesome sculpters to make some conversion parts for these. I’d be willing to cast them.

Da Crusha:

Love the new models! they’re great for plastic slayers, those axes are humongous though. in real scale those things would probably weigh 400 lbs.

tjub:

Yay, dwarf slaves! :smiley:

Da Crusha:

Yay, dwarf slaves! :D

tjub
ohh, yea thats a good idea!

nitroglysarine:

look quite cool, weapons might be a tad over sized. hard to tell.

COOL!