[Archive] baby steps, my first army list

baba yaga:

Last week I fought my first batlles with my brand new CD army.��The format was 1500 pts, with nemesis crown special caracters allowed.

This was my list :

Rykarth the unbreakable (CD hero, GW, Armour of Gaszrak counts as BSB ) 94pts

CD sorceror, lvl2, 2 dispell scrolls 150pts

Bullcentaur hero, gauntlets of BtC, Gw, Shield, HA 130pts

19 warriors, full command, warbanner 226pts

20 Blunderbussers, full command 270pts

18 Blunderbussers, full command 246pts

1 deathrocket 80pts

4 HGBT 120pts

1 earthshaker cannon 110pts

20 HG 40pts

20 HG 40pts

I have been playing WH on and off for about 10 years and have relevant experience with warfs and skaven.

I scored a SV vs beastmen, here are my assesments :

CD warriors are nigh unbreakable as long as you can protect their flanks, but have difficulty scoring wounds, so I put Rykarth in there.

I have a feeling Blunderbusses are very good, allmost broken, the move and fire is amazing.��I must admit I havent found the best setup yet, but I think they should be geared for combat (full command and large numbers).

I use HG like I would use Skavenslaves (alot of fleeing, deflecting charges, threatening flanks,…) very good for only 2pts a pop.

HG bolthrowers, cheap and everything counts in large amounts

Earthshaker : very very very good

"defrokkit" : I don’t like it, its just a stonethower that misfires slightly less, too expensive

a single bullcentaur hero alone is ok, he can hunt small units, warmachines… fragile though

sorcerer=scrollcaddie. in this battle he even got to cast a couple of fireballs as my opponent was also magic-light equipped.

what do you think??

Uzkul Werit:

Not bad but if you want a cheap warmachine hunter, get a Hobgoblin Hero on a wolf. Cheaper and quicker.

baba yaga:

I was wondering if it were possible to create an offensive armylist with CD warriors, some orc units, big unz, black orcs, HG’s and bullcentaurs?

metro_gnome:

sure you can… make sure your dwarf blocks are small…
and spend the rest of the point on wheelz… but leave the Blorcs at home for hashut’s sake…
i’ll see if i can find you an example…

as for this list… im not sure Rykarth can be the general… so your army now has a Ld 9 general…
gauntlets on BCs are bad unless running solo… and this guy does not have the armor to do that…
take Uzkul’s advice… a hobbie wolfboss with HA, enchanted shield and sword of might can bat cleanup in the outfield…
oh and the spell level is not doing you any favours… 4 dice = no spells… might aswell have 3…
i’d like to see more warriors (25 US) and less blunderbusses… 2 units of 18 for the BBs (well one @ 17 +sorceror)…
no command with the BBs… except you might take a champ for challenges against the sorceror…
you’re right the death rocket is pants… leave it at home…
and with the points saved here, on the commands, and wolf boz over BC hero…
get a unit of wolfboyz with musician LA and shields to accompany your Wolf boz…
once they get behind the line they can seperate for more chaos…

baba yaga:

Rykarth can be your general as he is not really a BSB, he just is so respected (and feared) he counts as a BSB, it is a little cheesy i know, just blame the GWUS crew for ceating him.

I 'me not sur about wolfboys as they cannot take spears and no command (ok they can but way too expesive)

The HG wolf guy is better than the Bullcentaur, I just used him because I had some points left and had converted a model.

The Bullcentaur has 360� line of sight because he counts as not beeing mounted, not to be underestimated as an advantage

thanks or the advise

Khaosbeardling:

Yes sadly I can never find room for Blorcs in my army right now. They just cost too much, and the CD basic unit requirment doesn’t help matters.

baba yaga:

blorks are not that good, too expensive just compare their stats to orc boyz and then their point cost, 2orcs with add choppa are better than 1 Blork

metro_gnome:

well counting as the the battle standard makes him subject to the rules on page 82…
and those rules suggest that he cannot be both unless a specific exception like Gorbad…
all im saying is that its questionable… its certainly not clearly stated either way…

what is clearly stated in the character movement rules on page 72…
is that a character mounted on any base larger than 25 x 25 follow the movement rules for monsters on page 59…
so your Bull centaur is not a skirmisher and has 90 degrees LoS just like any model mounted on a cavalry base…

dont sell our wolfboyz short…
they are the only fast cav models in the game with a 4+ AS…
well except for Olog Khans… must be a hobgoblin thing…
your right about the command tho… its expensive…
still a musician is mandatory… leave the rest of the command at home…