[Archive] Bas' Big Hat Blog

bas_2312:

Hi guys,

At the moment I’m starting to work on my Chaos Dwarfs again to update them to the Tamurkhan list, and I thought it would be time for them to get their own blog. They’ve featured in my Big Hat Ogre blog before, and here’s a pic of what the army looks like at the moment.

So they’re painted at basic tabletop level, and I’ve decided it’s time for an update. I need to add some units for the Tamurkhan list, but I’ll repaint the other models for my list too. I’m kinda spoiled, because I don’t like to play an army at a tournament if I don’t at least make a chance to win best painted. So here we go!

I’ll start with some new stuff, and after that slowly will repaint the older models. This week I’ve stripped a unit of 50 Hobgoblins, so they will be next… well… that was the plan untill I recieved my Iron Daemon. I don’t really like the basic model, so I started to convert it to be more train-like. The crew will also have to be sculpted, since unfortunately the newer sculpts don’t match my classic Big Hats.

So after all this text the first WIP pic.

I’ve rearranged the wheels on the Iron Daemon and added a showel (how the heck is that called in English?) to the front. I think I’ll leave of the cannons since I don’t really like those… And then the back will need to more details because it looks too empty right now. What do you guys think?

Lava Lord:

:hat off nice army protrait. I recgonize most of the pieces, some I don’t. Could ya list what you have there? It would be interesting. Looking to see more, I have an old army and want to bring it out also. Cheers :hat off

hobomcg:

FYI, the ‘shovel’ on the front is called a ‘Cow Catcher’.

Just though you might want to know.

The train is looking awesome so far, cant wait for more.

French_noodle:

Cow Catcher
Damn this is incredibly cool ! What a great language...

Anway, this is a pretty huge and nice army, i'm looking forward to see your next additions :)

Stepper:

Sweet stuff dude :hat off

Stepper

tjub:

Looking forward to this… :slight_smile:

bas_2312:

A small update. It’s starting to look more like a train. I added the cannons after all, but I lowered them a little bit.

So, is it train-like enough? I will add some more bits to the cabin, and of course some greenstuff and plasticard detail, but the basic construction is complete I guess.

Bolg:

I love WIP Shots!! this is starting to look very cool!!!

Is that the base you are going to use?

Loki:

It is certainly looking train like mate , cant wait to see it finished

Thorne:

I’d have said it looks more like a tractor … :wink:

bas_2312:

I love WIP Shots!! this is starting to look very cool!!!

Is that the base you are going to use?

Bolg
I'm not sure. It's an oval base and I like the way it matches with the warmachines, but we'll see...
I'd have said it looks more like a tractor ..... ;)

Thorne
Must be the Halfling farmer thoughts still flowing through my brain ;p

Thorne:

I’d go with the Iron tractor demon. It rocks but I can’t help but think it looks more tractor like.

bas_2312:

Hi guys,

I need your help! I’m really into building stuff at the moment, and thanks to the recent Golden Hat my Chaos Dwarfs start to look very interesting again. So I wanted to finish up my Iron Daemon. The problem is I really want to put it on a legal base. I like the look of the oval base, but during gaming it can be confusing. So here’s my question to you: Would it be ok/legal to put an Iron Daemon on a Chariot base? I don’t have a Screaming Bell base lying around, and have some cool ideas for the Chariot base, but I want it to be legal…

cornixt:

The iron daemon doesn’t really have a legal base size, so don’t worry about it.

CopperPot:

Nice Iron Daemon conversion mate.

zhatan87:

Screaming bell base is more appropriate… (if you want to use it in tournament…) You can find one on the GW website…

bas_2312:

Now that the Golden Hat is over, I can show you guys the first painted model in my updated Chaos Dwarf army: my Hellcannon!

I rebuild the chassis to match the Big Hat models more, and got my  inspiration mostly from the Death Rocket. The base might look a bit silly to some of you, but I wanted to put in on an oval base to match the other warmachines. This way it can match my other warmachines once I remove it from its ‘movement tray’, but it’s also on a legal gaming base. All in all I really like the way it turned out, and it really motivated me to work on my Chaos Dwarfs some more! :slight_smile:

Chico:

Tend not to like Big Hats that much, but that Warmachine is amazing :slight_smile:

tjub:

I like it a lot, looks great!

fairoaks024:

Another vote for 'like it!'

regards

jim