[Archive] Basing the "new boys"

lostmember:

Does anyone know the base-sizes for the various war machines and K’Daii in the new list?

I’ll be converting mine and want to know what ‘footprint’ I’m working to.

wallacer:

K’Daii Destroyer is 100x150, Arachnarok Spider base size.  Not sure about regular K’daii.

I’m not sure the war machines matter that much.  In 8th don’t the crew just line up in front of the warmachine if it gets attaked?

zhatan87:

Does anyone know the base-sizes for the various war machines and K'Daii in the new list?
From what I see, people succeed in putting the magma cannon and deathshriecker on a 50*100 base.
Iron daemon also, but the base looks a little too small for it...
K'Daii Destroyer is 100x150, Arachnarok Spider base size. Not sure about regular K'daii.
Really? Is there any model shown in the book to know this dimension baze?
Because I put my K'daai fireborn conversions on a 40*40 (ogre size to me), and my K'daai destroyer on a 50*100...

aka_mythos:

There doesn’t appear to be anything diffinitive on the K’daai fireborn… for its base I think is going to depend on if its bipedal like an ogre or quadrapedal like a bloodcrusher.

Every implication for the K’daai Destroyer puts it in the same size category of a Arachnorok Spider sized model… if it isn’t I think its going to be a real surprise. The Bale Taurus is bigger than a chariot base, but thats what WF shows it mounted to. I’m doubtful WF would allow the K’daai Destroyer to be out done by the Taurus.

Baggronor:

I think the Zombie Dragon/Arachnarok base is the right one for the Destroyer - it is epically hard. If there is no clear info in the book, I would go with that.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

When it comes to the K’Daii Destroyer, the bigger the base is actually the one time it is beneficial.  With everyone touching taking a ST4 hit, that’s a lot of frontage and potentially a lot of combat res.  Youch!

Grimbold blackhammer

Xander:

What sort of description does the Destroyer have? Are there any illustrations of it?

Do we know when, if ever, such a model will make an appearance? I am sure all of these questions have been answered elsewhere. Sorry!

lostmember:

I asked this on another thread, but it’ll probably get lost as the discussion moves on do I’ll ask again here.

Are Bull Centaurs Monstrous Infantry or Cavalry (40mm or 50mm base)?

I’m starting my prototype Bull Centaur (don’t want to just ‘base-up’ a smaller one) and need to know which to use.

Xander:

I believe they are Monstrous Beasts. Don’t know about base size.

Thommy H:

Monstrous anything goes on a 40mm square base.

rabotak:

so do i get this right there are no clues in the book concerning base sizes and we would have to await the model releases to have it definite? that would be a bit annoying because i want to rebase my bcs and wether it’s 40x40 or

50x50 does make quite a difference… if the latter i would simply stick 2 on one base, if the former things get a bit more complicated…

zhatan87:

Why do they speak about a 5050 square base in the Tamurkhan thread for BC?

I hope they are on 50
50 because I re-base all of them on 50*50…:sick

lostmember:

Monstrous anything goes on a 40mm square base.

Thommy H
Aren't Mournfang Cav Monstrous? They're on Chariot bases aren't they?

Thommy H:

Ogres are on 40x40, as is everything else with the prefix “Monstrous” in its unit type. I’ve no idea where 50x50 came from.

Not that it even matters. Stick 'em on whatever base you want as long as it looks about right. That’s how GW do it.

zhatan87:

Ogres are on 40x40, as is everything else with the prefix "Monstrous" in its unit type. I've no idea where 50x50 came from.
(in our French tournament reference sheet) : Juggernaut : 50*50. Razorgor 50*50. Great eagle. TK scorpion.

So, BC COULD be on 50*50... Whereas K'daai fireborn (monstruous infantry) SHOULD be on 40*40...

aka_mythos:

If we’re to believe that FW’s BC are the same size… we have to move our BC from 25mmx50mm base on to new bases. If you use a 40mm^2 base, like ogres, length wise its shorther. The BC tend to hang over a little bit, so you have to be quite attentive to how you rank them up. If its 50mm^2, like bloodcrushers, then the BC fits comfortably on the base. This all assumes FW is making a BC miniature that is the same size… but FW isn’t as concerned about consistency, they will sculpt it generally the same size but they have latitude to make it bigger or smaller. If its any bigger then its definitely a 50mm^2, unless its a really strange pose.

Thommy H:

(in our French tournament reference sheet) : Juggernaut : 50*50. Razorgor 50*50. Great eagle. TK scorpion.

So, BC COULD be on 50*50... Whereas K'daai fireborn (monstruous infantry) SHOULD be on 40*40...

zhatan87
You seem to be right about Razorgors and Juggernauts - both come with 50mm square bases. I'm pretty sure the Wood Elf Great Eagle comes with 40mm square though.

Anyway, if this shows anything it's how arbitrary base size actually is - it's not considered a factor in how GW calculate prices. They just put it on whatever looks best and that's the end of it.

aka_mythos:

Until FW/WF release new minis, I’d just recommend sticky tack or tape to temporarily secure the old model with base to a new base. At least that way you’re not repeating your efforts months from now.

Xander:

It’s just really sad that GW doesn’t include base size as a stat for each unit. sigh

The Besieger:

Last night i redone the bases for my BC unit to 40mm x 40mm bases :slight_smile:

you can check here

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1938&page=2