[Archive] Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of Azgorh

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Additional shots of the Drazhoath.  I need a better camera.[attachment=5311]

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Buffed up Shar’tor staring down the Ironjawz Megaboss for a duel to the death.

Abecedar:

I love your Drazhoath and Cinderbreath but you’ve lost all the yellow from the flames on his shield and now it all looks like blood

And who won the duel?

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

I love your Drazhoath and Cinderbreath but you've lost all the yellow from the flames on his shield and now it all looks like blood

And who won the duel?

Abecedar
Shar'tor won :mad

And the lighting was poor, so the overexposure made the flames look too glossy. There is indeed yellow in there from a lower angle towards the center of the flame. I painted it as if the flame was being dragged.

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

[attachment=5315]

Abecedar:

Thanks for the Battle Report. AoS itself isn’t my game but I’m enjoying reading the battles of those who do play it

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Thanks for the Battle Report.  AoS itself isn't my game but I'm enjoying reading the battles of those who do play it

Abecedar
Yep, I do like the AoS ruleset, as it is fairly straightforward and quick rules-wise, and does have a lot of strategy due to the special rules and mobility during combat phases that you have to keep in mind.  I should have mopped the floor against the death army, but failed due to only getting off 1/9 shots, when they have a 66% chance to hit.. and the enemy rolling boxcars and essentially deleting an entire squad.

Chaos Dwarfs lack some mobility tools of the other armies, BUT they have an insanely versatile roster and some of the best artillery rules.  My cannons were swarmed by ghouls and they were barely scratched as they were spewing magma.

Abecedar:

Thanks for the Battle Report.  AoS itself isn't my game but I'm enjoying reading the battles of those who do play it

Abecedar
Yep, I do like the AoS ruleset, as it is fairly straightforward and quick rules-wise, and does have a lot of strategy due to the special rules and mobility during combat phases that you have to keep in mind.

Chaos Dwarfs lack some mobility tools of the other armies, BUT they have an insanely versatile roster and some of the best artillery rules.  My cannons were swarmed by ghouls and they were barely scratched as they were spewing magma.

Black_Fortress_Immortal
Glad you like it so keep doing what you like.

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

[attachment=5316]

Pappa Midnight:

I’m liking the Balewind Vortex and I’m looking forward to seeing how you get on against the Kharadron dwarfs.

PM

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

I'm liking the Balewind Vortex and I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on against the Kharadron dwarfs.

PM

Pappa Midnight
:hat off

The Legion prevailed.  I took my standard 1000pt list.

I've been slow with the army painting as of late because of moving and such.

1000pt Take and Hold vs. Kharadron Overlords

My army consisted of:
2 Daemonsmiths
1 x 20 Ironsworn
1 x 10 Ironsworn
3 x 10 Fireglaives
1 x 3 K'daai Fireborn

Summoning Reserve:
1 x Balewind Vortex; 1 x 3 K'daai Fireborn

He deployed his Arkanaut company inside of two frigates, that moved up first turn with the Aether Khemist, disembarked, and shot my K'daai off in the first round.  I retaliated with a summoned balewind to Ash Storm and advancing my line of Infernal Guard that were protected with mystic shield, splitting to either side of the ruins to engage the oncoming ships.  He was able to shoot at my guard, but failed because of cover and shielding bonuses, taking some casualties from the spiteshields activating on a 4+ roll for every save.  The Fireglaives did the real work here, where 20 wiped out the Arkanauts, and the barrage of naptha bombs and arcane bolt made quick work of the hero.  It was all over by the end of the third shooting phase, where the middle of the board had been cleared by the fusillade of the double-damage pyrelock critical hits and burning naptha.  I believe I had lost 6 models total, where he had lost 23, and his entire army was destroyed (tabled).

Overall, the chaos dwarfs do amazingly well in AoS, but it took me a while to find what works and what does not.  At first, I thought the battalions were best, but are a bit of a points-sink, and there is much more reliability in the Infernal Guard.

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Age of Sigmar 2000pt game versus Death (vampire counts and ghouls)!

The Legion prevailed :hat off

[attachment=5319]

Abecedar:

Well done. Hashut is pleased with you.

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Well done.  Hashut is pleased with you.

Abecedar
Thank you, sir :hat off

I got bit by the painting-bug and have some more spare time this week, so I'll be finishing up some more pieces.

Carcearion:

Great progressing on a satisfyingly dark force of Dawi Zharr.

I also really enjoyed the mini-battle report! I would have liked more pictures of chaos dwarves locked in combat with the dead- but it sounds like so much was dealt with at range you didnt have the opprotunity.

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Great progressing on a satisfyingly dark force of Dawi Zharr.

I also really enjoyed the mini-battle report! I would have liked more pictures of chaos dwarves locked in combat with the dead- but it sounds like so much was dealt with at range you didnt have the opprotunity.

Carcearion
Thank you sir :hat off

Tomorrow will be an AoS showdown with the Blades of Khorne at 2000pt.

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

[attachment=5320]

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

So, I was thinking that instead of going the more “comical” dark armor and glowing rune route, I will probably go for the realistic and corroded and grimy/evil/dark route on the army.  Glowing runes may be added eventually, but I REALLY am digging this look… especially with some burnished bronze plates over a volcanic base.  I recently picked up the line of Citadel Technical Paints… and I think that they can be used to great effect on the Infernal Guard and warmachines.

What do you guys think here?

[attachment=5322]

Carcearion:

Looks great, always a fan of a worn or corroded metal look.

What technical paints did you use?

Admiral:

I think your “comical” look of sharp contrast between fiery glow and dark armour is as iconic as it is striking in quality and contrast. I’ve looked at pictures of your army for quite a long time. This is precisely how one would imagine Chaos Dwarfs appearing in cinema if monochromatic trends persist but the art director had the good sense to include red as a spot colour. I’m glad to have seen such an exquisite mix of fire and darkness executed to this high degree. However, if you want to go for something else, then go for something else by all means. :slight_smile:

The corroded metal effect works well, too, and is a testament to your painting skills. I’m sure your army will look splendid like that as well. Any particular recipe to achieve that effect?