[Archive] Black Fortress Immortal's Legion of Azgorh

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

I think your "comical" look of sharp contrast between fiery glow and dark armour is as iconic as it is striking in quality and contrast. I've looked at pictures of your army for quite a long time. This is precisely how one would imagine Chaos Dwarfs appearing in cinema if monochromatic trends persist but the art director had the good sense to include red as a spot colour. I'm glad to have seen such an exquisite mix of fire and darkness executed to this high degree. However, if you want to go for something else, then go for something else by all means. :)

The corroded metal effect works well, too, and is a testament to your painting skills. I'm sure your army will look splendid like that as well. Any particular recipe to achieve that effect?

Admiral
Wow, what a compliment!  

The amount of corrosion I would use is minimal, since I believe "less is more," in regards to rank-and-file troops, and I think it would add character.  Perhaps I will add the glowing helm or rune effects as well, but will see how the corroded effect works.  I'd like to mix a realistic relatively "simple" heat-damaged and shadowy iron and dark bronze look, with little touches like glow, corrosion, blood, battle-damage. The details will be coming within the next month or two, since my competition lists for 1000-2500 games in AoS are almost all completed/basecoated.

Leadbelcher base, nuln wash, typhus corrosion on the edges (streaked down when partially dry), to some agrax wash, VERY light rya rust drybrush on the edges, adding more "globs" of corrosion towards the corner (there are sediments that I try to get to catch on the edge), reapply rust if needed. Drybrush leadbelcher to ironbreaker towards the middle.  On the one with some patina/verdigris spots, I tried stippling some on there with stippled corrosion, after the agrax wash.

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Looks great, always a fan of a worn or corroded metal look.

What technical paints did you use?

Carcearion
Newer Citadel line:

-Typhus Corrosion
-Nihilakh Oxide
-Ryza Rust

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Just a little more highlighting on some models.

I have to revisit the “glow.”

[attachment=5325]

Abecedar:

Looking very good

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Carcearion:

They look excellent! Love everything about your color scheme.

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Thank you, all.  I started doing further detail on the Daemonsmith with corrosion and cleaning up some detail.  I don’t think that it loses any of the classic chaos dwarf magic, but gives a nice gritty and dark touch to the model, in my opinion:

[attachment=5336][attachment=5337][attachment=5338][attachment=5339]

Carcearion:

Looks great! Love the corrosion effect, I was planning on trying to achieve this same kind of effect on my upcoming Beastmen army.

was this the same process you sited above that you used on your test sprue?

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Looks great! Love the corrosion effect, I was planning on trying to achieve this same kind of effect on my upcoming Beastmen army.

was this the same process you sited above that you used on your test sprue?

Carcearion
Yep, some washes on top of the corrosion, but added some drybrushing of necron compound (very light) which gives kind of that dusted silver effect.

I'm a little excited to get detailing, since I haven't seen many too many chaos dwarf army palletes that utilize the corrosion, or chaotic "grime" effect that much.  

"Fire and Ash" was the original inspiration for my color scheme (was a blog on here with only a few photos uploaded) but then decided to change the bronze and take things a step further and add glowing, darker/mutated flesh tones, etc.

I need a better camera for sure, since this resolution doesn't do the detail justice.

I will call these models completed, but I hope it didn't lose the original effect, that Admiral had feared:

[attachment=5342][attachment=5353]

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

[attachment=5344]

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Painting update for Drazhoath… I’ll try to take better shots in daylight, but I must say that I’m rather pleased with the detailing plan thus far.  What are the thoughts?

[attachment=5346][attachment=5347][attachment=5348][attachment=5349]

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

With much less camera exposure:

Admiral:

They look good like this, too! The blood and fire and glowing eyes make the drab metallics pop.

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

They look good like this, too! The blood and fire and glowing eyes make the drab metallics pop.

Admiral
Thank you. I'm glad you like it.

The bottom picture, I had just taken in natural light and was unhappy late last night with how the camera painting light was making it look, since the attention to detail was lost in the exposure.

Pappa Midnight:

Getting minis to look grimy with corroded armour isn’t easy and can look messy… yours, however, look excellent. Very nice work.

PM

Jackswift:

Welcome! Your use of a very limited palette has resulted in a very dark and appropriately sinister look to your army. You have used it to very striking effect and the models look great! I look forward to seeing more of your work. Cheers

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Thank you all for the kind words. Drazhoath the Ashen is my favorite model, and I was worried that I would screw him up.

Next up is the Iron Daemon and some Ironsworn.

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Abecedar:

Well done. I hates those dastardly brettonians to pieces

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Well done.  I hates those dastardly brettonians to pieces

Abecedar
I like them... seems like an easy source for weak slaves ;)

In a few days, I should be trying my luck against either some more vampires or stormcast. Not sure which yet. There's an AoS tournament in a bit over a month, where I'd like to get everything tidied up and looking good. Not sure how the LoA would fare, but we'll find out.

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Updated shots of Cinderbreath’s armor plates with blood spatters:

[attachment=5359]