[Archive] Blunderbuss rule question!

Ubertechie:

Bilbo

If they start in the zone and cover the width of it then any in the zone can be hit otherwise you are correct

BilboBaggins:

Hopefully when GW finally redoes the army book they will add that they can shoot through Hobgoblins. Seems only fitting since Hobs are really only there to die.

BilboBaggins:

Bilbo
If they start in the zone and cover the width of it then any in the zone can be hit otherwise you are correct

Ubertechie
If they start in the zone the skirmishers are going to die. We always hit on 4+. I was stating if the started outside the killing zone.

Thommy H:

1: when the back rank of the BB unit is within 12" of the charger
2: when the maximum number of the front rank of the charging unit are within the fire zone.
Maybe I'm not understanding the debate here...

According to the FAQ, if the unit doesn't start within 12", you resolve it against the first rank only. If the unit does start within 12", you resolve it against every model in the fire zone.

What's the issue here? Either the unit is within 12" or it isn't within 12" - if part of it is, you resolve it against all the models that are in the 12" fire zone.

Ubertechie:

Thommy the issue related to units charging at angles and starting outside thd fire zone

so do you shoot either

1 when unit first enters firezone

Or

2 when unit has covered fire zone

The current edition core rules in my opinion suggest the later

Note that for head on charges we all agree it us clearly detailed in the FAQ

Hope that clears up the confusion

BilboBaggins:

Thommy the issue related to units charging at angles and starting outside thd fire zone
so do you shoot either
Or

Ubertechie
Simple, unit starts outside the firing zone you can only hit the front rank.

Thommy H:

so do you shoot either
Or

Ubertechie
Simple, unit starts outside the firing zone you can only hit the front rank.

BilboBaggins
Yeah, exactly. Standing and shooting is an abstraction: the idea is that they get fired at as they charge, so you resolve it against the front rank, and then they stop at a point 12" away. Since all distances are measured from the closest point between two units, you stop them at the point where the nearest model in the charging unit is 12" from the nearest model in the Blunderbuss unit but you still resolve the hits against the entire front rank.