[Archive] Boar Centaurs or DOW Ogres?� � I can't decide

chrishorrorshow:

Well, here’s two quickie test conversions i’ve whipped up to try and sway myself one way or the other.  I’m working on a steampunk-esque CD style, aping Ishkur’s method of casting the base troops.  

However, when it comes to my 2nd Rare choice, i can’t decide between Bull/Boar centaurs or DOW Ogres.  I decided to make the Centaurs a little more savage to contrast with the rest of the army, but i’m using 40k Ork mega armor with a CD inside to represent Ogres.  I need some help deciding.  Opinions/C&C?

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

al-hashut:

Great so far. Is that regular orc mega armour or off of a special character?

It’s a shame the boar centaurs don’t get dreadlock beards. Also, are you going to add tusks to them?

starscream:

thats ghazkull thrakas armour,looks good but I’m not convinced yet, seems a bit too steampunk, kinda like its outta Warmachine.

Hashut’s Blessing:

With the “Ogre”, either add in the other eye or remove that one. I’d say, with some more CD-ification, it’d be the “Ogres”. However, I’d say do both and chose for each battle. The boar centaur would look a little better if 1) you changed the hair for the CD type hair OR 2) made it more frizzy etc to show the feral nature. ATM, it looks a little to Western dwarfy…

chrishorrorshow:

al-hashut: what starscream said. and you know, i don’t think i will add tusks…i should maybe mock them up to see what they look like, though.

starscream: agreed, it is very steampunk. but so is the idea in mind for the rest of the army (sketching up/planning a steampunk taurus, lots of smoke and grime and such)…so it might work?

hashut’s blessing: yes, that eye has to go. you may be right about the boar centaur as well…slayers seem the wildest of the western dwarves, but i suppose they don’t even look all that bent out of shape.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I do think they will be the easiest models to look crazy, possibly the Doomseekers would as well. I just don’t think they look quite Chaos Dwarf-like enough, rather than not crazy enough.

minty:

Drool that ogre/robot thing is beyond awesome, and it would eb sacrelige to hashut if you don’t use it

now how would a pirate use one of the things?

wallacer:

The Ogre looks better in my opinion.

However, in game terms I think Bull Centaurs are a better choice.

Captain Crayon:

Both!

the ogre is seriously awesome, and the trollslayer model you’ve used for the centaur is one of my all time favourites :slight_smile:

I love the iron plated fists on the ogre. Would make a cool siege weapon for smashing down puny empire fortress gates :smiley:

do they still sell the troll slayer model?

Kera foehunter:

boar centaur!!! part slayer  part pig!!!  and it even my faveroite slayer model .

an orange hair maniac slayer boar centaur. that beat a shrek for hire

Captain Crayon:

boar centaur!!!!!!!!!! part slayer  part pig!!!  and it even my faveroite slayer model .
an orange hair maniac slayer boar centaur. that beat a shrek for hire

Kera foehunter
Suddenly i have the overwhelming urge to repaint my dogs of war ogres green and put a grudge pony in the unit....

chrishorrorshow:

minty: pirates wouldn’t use it, they’re based on the Beasts of Chaos list.

wallacer: i think it’s six of one, half dozen of the other in my list. I’ve only got room for like 5 Boar Centaurs or 3 Ogres. Or maybe it’s 10 Boars. I’ll have to check later. It’s a very close count for wounds, unit str, attacks, and the only thing that tips it (kinda) in the Ogres’ favor is causing fear and the Bull Charge. But then, the Boars move faster…you can see why i’m stuck.

Also: hahaha, aw man. Now it’s RoboShrek. Dangit.

Hashut’s Blessing:

chrishorrorshow: You can always make both, surely? That way, you can choose if you’ll need speed or fear+extra damaga (I know which I’d have over an extra 1") or whichever model you like more that day.

Ghrask Dragh:

That is an amazing conversion, just to see them on the battlefield I would go with DoW Ogres!

If you haven’t already and you like this sort of thing you should check out Grimstonefires Alternate Sourcebook this looks like something straight out of it :hat off

Narflung:

The ‘ogre’ looks great. Now, I’m not 100% on the rules for ogres these days, but they would be a suitable stand in for man-eaters IMO.

Captain Crayon:

The 'ogre' looks great. Now, I'm not 100% on the rules for ogres these days, but they would be a suitable stand in for man-eaters IMO.

Narflung
Except that Man-eaters take up 2 rare slots as dogs of war...

I'd go with the iron-guts, Great weapons and heavy armour, and only 1 rare slot :)

chrishorrorshow:

chrishorrorshow: You can always make both, surely? That way, you can choose if you'll need speed or fear+extra damaga (I know which I'd have over an extra 1") or whichever model you like more that day.

Hashut's Blessing
This is very true, and probably what i will wind up having to do, since i like both of these ideas so much. Now, all i have to do is overcome the fact that i am the slowest painter in the universe and i will be set.

Merchant:

• I’m not sure about using Bullies, since the lack of special rules is what makes me keep them on the sideline - so in my oppinion I’ll take Ogres in my army.

- However about the figures themself, I like the idea - but as many have said before, is it too steampunk-ish and not Ogre-ish enough.

Cheers Mate - Keep it the great ideas :slight_smile: :cheers

clam:

Can’t really help you choose. But I would really like to see that Ogre finished - so my advice would be: choose the ‘Ogre-path’.

Btw: It has some resemblance with GeOrc’s fantastic Battlerager which is based on the Mega armoured Nob. Is that the inspiration for this?

Hashut’s Blessing:

If you’re a slow painter, make two more “ogres” for now, then you can paint them one at a time. After that, make some more bull centaurs and or “ogres”. Basically, have the minimum unit size for now. Also, oogres can have smaller unit sizes, so you should be able to paint them more quickly (the larger surface areas mean it shouldn’t take much extra time with highlights etc).