[Archive] boyfights' frostgrave in the dark lands! troll test run [6-18-19]

boyfights:

Edit: Plans have shifted somewhat since initially writing this so I think it’s time for a rewrite, as well as time to lay out my plans so that I might stick to them instead of adding things indefinitely :slight_smile: Frostgrave is the main project, but I’m gonna use this as a catchall for all of my non-CD stuff!

After a 15 year hiatus from miniature gaming I have decided to begin a 15mm Frostgrave project, set in the warhammer world. My original plan was to go for Karak Eight Peaks with goblins, skaven and vanilla dwarfs, but after finding tjub’s beautiful sculpts I had to shift my plans to the dark lands :slight_smile:

This thread will also serve as a journal of my progress as I teach myself to paint and sculpt, as I never bothered to learn any proper techniques when playing as a teenager and could barely be bothered fully assembling my models for the most part.

This is a list of planned items for what I plan to be the first “chapter” of the first “book” (using these terms very loosely) of this hopefully long-term campaign, which I expect will cross several game systems and potentially even genres over its lifetime. I don’t want to spoil too many of my ever-shifting plans, but the first “book” will be in the dark lands and I expect it to last for quite a while so I should be more or less on-topic :slight_smile:

In an attempt to keep myself from buying and being distracted by (too many) models that I don’t need yet, here we go:

Fully Complete:

Night goblins (yay, something is done!)

Need bases:

Barak Varr dwarfs

Tjublings

Goblins

Savage orcs

Dwarf caravan

3 Ogres

Black ogre

Hobgoblins

In progress:

Orcs

Human bandits

Shadespire Skeletons

11 Ogres

Unstarted:

Treasure markers

Board

Terrain

~10 Monsters

26 ogres

20 Nurglings

Shadespire Skaven & Orruks

~40 gnoblars to do something with, maybe yhetees?

In transit: (not all for chapter one)

~15 Slaves

4 Monsters

a few Barak Varr dwarfs

Ox-cart for caravan

~30 Nurglings

10 more ogre bodies

To purchase:

Tjublings as they become available :slight_smile:

Polar Fox 10mm minis for gnoblars and snotlings!

My first batch of tjublings:

[attachment=5547]

[attachment=5548]

Admiral:

Oooh, now this looks sweet! Good colour scheme, and intriguing plans. Looking forward to see more!

You could post your tjublings in the Chaos Dwarf Project Logs section, and everything else here, including versus pictures of Chaos Dwarfs against others. Just an idea, nothing necessary. Cheers

boyfights:

I think I will do that, thanks for the suggestion!

tjub:

15mm Frostgrave in the Dark Lands, tempting idea…

Abecedar:

Something different this way comes. Well done

boyfights:

If it helps to tempt further, it seems Splintered Light are having a 25% off sale until July 4th. I had a Ral Partha shopping cart all set to go but that’s too tempting, $22 for international shipping has put me off buying from Splintered Light so far but I really like their stuff and the sale will help mitigate the shipping at least :slight_smile:

I like the look of their 20mm goblins and think they might fit well as 15mm hobgoblins, I emailed them to ask what they think but worst case I’ll just order a few to see for myself. Now to decide on the rest of the order…

boyfights:

It took a little longer than expected, but here are photos of my night goblins and barak varr dwarfs (I hope I’m using imgur correctly!):

The dwarfs were tricky to get good pictures of, being aligned so strangely on their stands. I’m hoping they’ll come out better once I have them properly based. I’ve got all my basing supplies ready to go but want to have proper storage prepared for them before I get started, which is next on the shopping list because I have no room for more models at the moment :slight_smile:

I’d better get a move on too after the order I put in with Splintered Light this morning! I’m awaiting enough models to make goblin, hobgoblin, orc, savage orc and human bandit warbands (with lots of extras for options and casualties), plus a pack of treasure tokens and the “dwarf treasure hunters” group to give me some objectives. Just about time to start working on a board and some terrain as well, it seems!

Second batch of Tjublings to come soon!

tjub:

Sweet, love the Demonworld stuff as well! Got huge armies of Goblins and Elves for 15mm KoW. :slight_smile:

Uther the unhinged:

Lovely. How do you guys paint 15mm so well. Can�?Tt wait to see them based.

boyfights:

Sweet, love the Demonworld stuff as well! Got huge armies of Goblins and Elves for 15mm KoW. :)

tjub
Your 15mm paint work is as inspiring as your sculpting, very nice stuff :) I had already purchased the Demonworld models when I discovered your sculpts and was overjoyed to see them used for the comparison shots, they complement each other very well! Definitely planning to add more to the collection before long :)
Lovely. How do you guys paint 15mm so well. Can�?Tt wait to see them based.

Uther the unhinged
Thank you! This project is my first time working with 15mm and I'm surprised at how much easier it is than it looks. Those goblins were my first models since getting back into gaming, and they're admittedly a bit rough in closeup but from a reasonable distance I'm pretty happy with them :)

boyfights:

Sorry to doublepost, but my second batch of Tjublings are complete! Four blunderbusses, a flamethrower team, and two command groups:

boyfights:

While waiting for my next round of models to arrive I found time to work on my first two Shadespire warbands which I am using to get started painting 28 (32?)mm. Once I’ve collected the rest of the first round of these I plan to expand into Kill Team as well. For my first 28mm in 15 years, here are my Stormcast (please excuse my camera work :)) (and also my sloppy painting, I could see so many more mistakes after the varnish dried :():

Almost finished the Bloodbound, hopefully by the end of the weekend!

boyfights:

A bit late with this update as I was scrambling to finish painting yesterday, just managed to get my varnish on before bed :slight_smile:

Hey get out of here, cats can’t play warhammer!!

Phew that was close!

I’ve got 30 little orcs glued to their painting stands, hoping to be done before the weekend!

The_Penguin:

Good work! :slight_smile:

Tjublings are adorable as usual, and those AoS miniatures are very well painted too! Those chaos (marauders?) have interesting poses! Can be most useful for my desert dwarfs!

boyfights:

Thank you! :slight_smile: I had been considering buying into AoS and had heard good things about Shadespire as a game so I figured it would be a good opportunity to see how I liked painting 28mm without buying a bunch of models I couldn’t use otherwise. I’m definitely going to be buying more, they’re a lot of fun to paint and a nice way to try a few models from a number of factions, and as a bonus the game is a lot of fun too, hehe :slight_smile:

I was a little wary when I heard that they were push-fit and picked up some putty expecting the worst but didn’t even end up feeling like I had to use it, and the only place I can see that it ended up biting me was underneath the left side of the last model’s chest, there is a tiny gap that I ended up overshading. I’m happy with them overall though!

The_Penguin:

Thank you! :) I had been considering buying into AoS and had heard good things about Shadespire as a game so I figured it would be a good opportunity to see how I liked painting 28mm without buying a bunch of models I couldn't use otherwise. I'm definitely going to be buying more, they're a lot of fun to paint and a nice way to try a few models from a number of factions, and as a bonus the game is a lot of fun too, hehe :)

I was a little wary when I heard that they were push-fit and picked up some putty expecting the worst but didn't even end up feeling like I had to use it, and the only place I can see that it ended up biting me was underneath the left side of the last model's chest, there is a tiny gap that I ended up overshading. I'm happy with them overall though!

boyfights
Wonderful! I guess I should try Shadespire after all. Looking forward to your progress! :cheers

Fuggit Khan:

Hey get out of here, cats can't play warhammer!!

boyfights
Cats are some of the most fearsome opponents that ever wiped out my army off the table.
Fearsome generals, taunting with all, and all with a fun loving callous disregard to either side of the table  :)
Cats are awesome <3

boyfights:

Tell that to my other cat who likes to sit beside me while I paint, clawing and biting me in an effort to get petted and drinking my paint water when I’m not looking :stuck_out_tongue: it’s a wonder I can get anything done at all with him around!

That cat is the good one though, she was just helping :slight_smile:

boyfights:

Finished up my savage orcs this morning!

Admiral:

Nice painting style!