[Archive] boyfights' frostgrave in the dark lands! troll test run [6-18-19]

boyfights:

Thanks guys! :slight_smile: I’m really happy with how they’re turning out so far. I’d only ever really used green stuff for gap filling before so it was a little intimidating but everything went very smoothly for the most part, I managed to ruin half of one mustache with a sticky tool and had to redo it but otherwise no major issues. I forgot to take a picture of the backs but I had to sculpt on a little bit of hair to fill the gap where the heads and necks met as well, I think they came out okay but we’ll see after some colour :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m tempted to look into some bare torsos though, it’s bothering me a little bit that all of the dwarfs are wearing vests or chainmail or whatever else. I had wanted to avoid actually buying bits but I’m already eyeing some nurgling and brimstone horror lots to use for 15mm daemons down the road so I’ll probably tack a few marauder torsos on if I can to make shipping worthwhile. I wish I could find my old metal nurglings, I way prefer them to the newer style plastic ones but they seem to be pretty pricey on ebay :frowning:

boyfights:

It’s been hot and humid and I’ve been working a lot and having a tough time getting painting done, but I finally wrapped up my wolf riders this morning to complete the goblin warband:

If I remember correctly they’re the first cavalry I’ve ever painted, and it shows as I neglected to add a single detail to the wolves :smiley: I didn’t even realize until resizing the photos, it isn’t nearly as obvious when they’re not blown up. Hopefully I can touch them up over the varnish!

edit: I’ve also updated my OP to keep track of what I expect to need for the first part of my campaign to keep myself from adding too many warbands, etc. I still haven’t even played a test game and I’m already pushing 200 models so it’s time to focus :stuck_out_tongue:

tjub:

Looks good! Hehe, with the speed you are painting miniatures you should almost consider down a mass battle setting as well. I prefer Kings of War, but there are a lot of rule sets to chose from. :slight_smile:

boyfights:

Looks good! Hehe, with the speed you are painting miniatures you should almost consider down a mass battle setting as well. I prefer Kings of War, but there are a lot of rule sets to chose from. :)

tjub
Thank you! :) That's definitely in the works for later on in the campaign; I expect the first two "books" at least to be Frostgrave and probably the third as well, but eventually I will be needing to do bigger battles and Frostgrave's 10v10 will no longer do. Still going to have a better look at KoW at some point, I like the idea of multi-based models :)

boyfights:

A mysterious caravan approaches! These seem to be some strange dwarfs indeed…

I had originally bought these planning to use the unarmed dwarfs as slave “treasure” tokens but realized they were not really suitable after seeing them in person and had no real plans for the wizard or assassin models. However, tjub’s trailer sculpts reminded me that I had no caravans yet!

The leader is a disgraced runesmith who claims to tell fortunes by melting forged runes in molten gold as he wanders the trade routes, searching for treasures he claims to see in visions. I expect that he will be a major player in the campaign, after ironically thinking I had no use for the figure :slight_smile:

tjub:

Nice minis, almost a gnomish look. Fits well for outcasts, and bold to go for yellow as main color! Might I suggest gibing the dwarf to the left on the second photo a banner? :slight_smile: So that out on the caravan trail the can go “OMG its Drunkie and his band of ragtags, better cover the barrels!” once they spot the banner.  Or the could be regular dwarves traveling along the world edge mountains, hunted by some of our wolf raiders. :stuck_out_tongue:
How many war bands/wizards do you plan to have?

Btw, in the “Battle Reports & Campaign Discussion” I made two attempts at running a local campaign around here, both which faded away. The second right around the End Times, but you might find something useful in the threads for “world ideas” if you haven’t looked yet.

boyfights:

Nice minis, almost a gnomish look. Fits well for outcasts, and bold to go for yellow as main color!

tjub
Thank you! It was my first time trying so much yellow and I'm pretty happy with them :)
Might I suggest gibing the dwarf to the left on the second photo a banner? :) So that out on the caravan trail the can go "OMG its Drunkie and his band of ragtags, better cover the barrels!" once they spot the banner.  Or the could be regular dwarves traveling along the world edge mountains, hunted by some of our wolf raiders. :P

tjub
I've already varnished these guys and am a little hesitant to mess with them now, but I do like the idea of a banner. I ordered a cart and two oxen to go with these guys last night along with a handful of Demonworld models to use for slaves (and a couple other goodies!) so I think I will try to add a banner to the cart instead :) That model's pose definitely calls for one though now that you mention it!

I'm a little reluctant to reveal too much about these guys too early but to use old video game references, think of them along the same lines as Morte from Planescape Torment, or Xzar & Montaron from Baldur's Gate; they're weird and claim to want to help, but do you really trust them? Do you have any choice? :hashut
How many war bands/wizards do you plan to have?

tjub
It sort of depends on how the campaign goes! I plan to focus on four or five wizards for the first "chapter" but all together so far I've got enough wizards for eight warbands, plus however many sorcerers you've sculpted :) There will be lots more to come if everything goes to plan, but I think this is plenty to start with.
Btw, in the "Battle Reports & Campaign Discussion" I made two attempts at running a local campaign around here, both which faded away. The second right around the End Times, but you might find something useful in the threads for "world ideas" if you haven't looked yet.

tjub
I will check these out, thank you very much!

Admiral:

I’m a fan of both the wolf riders and that Dwarf caravan. Lovely atmosphere and flavour in your collection!

Uther the unhinged:

I like the idea of a banner for the caravan,

boyfights:

I'm a fan of both the wolf riders and that Dwarf caravan. Lovely atmosphere and flavour in your collection!

Admiral
Thank you very much! I must say I'm growing proud of it, in ~3 months I've already painted more models than I ever finished playing as a kid :) Ogres are next on the painting bench, I'm excited to see how they turn out!

I like the idea of a banner for the caravan,

Uther the unhinged
I like this idea a lot; I might be able to tease at his true motivations without making it too explicit. Will have to give this some thought, thanks Uther!

boyfights:

Well I’m officially cut off from model shopping for the time being, at least until the new tjublings are unleashed. On the way are about 15 demon world models to be used for slaves along with a few monsters and things, three new shadespire warbands, 9 metal nurglings to give myself some practice stripping paint and a bunch of bits to form the base for my second ogre clan because I can’t help myself :slight_smile: Somebody has to be responsible for all these nurglings running around after all…

Managed to get a base coat and wash on my first three ogres, hoping to finish them up tonight along with my first monster!

boyfights:

I swear I’ve been painting! These guys are taking me way longer than I expected. My paint collection could really use a few more mid-range greys and browns, I’m mixing a lot more than I prefer and it’s slowing me down quite a lot!

I tried to keep the colours relatively neutral as these guys will be mercenaries, though I gave them some Barak Varr purple on the chainmail trim to represent them having taken it from the washed ashore clansmen :slight_smile: Still have to put highlights on the hair and belts, and I’ve noticed a few things along the way like beastmen arms having hair in funny places and rrrnnggg mold lines that I’ll need to watch for future models but otherwise I’m feeling pretty good.

Anyone have any tips?

I feel like the gobbo heads might be of some use as CD heads as well, the old plastic is a piece of cake to reshape!

Uther the unhinged:

No tips (your 15mm painting puts my 28mm to shame) but big congratulations. The ogre�?Ts grreat. Really ogrish. I love him!

boyfights:

No tips (your 15mm painting puts my 28mm to shame) but big congratulations. The ogre�?Ts grreat. Really ogrish. I love him!

Uther the unhinged
To be fair he's made out of 28mm parts (which is probably why I felt the need to do so many highlights) but you're too kind, thank you very much :) once these three are finished I'll be taking a break from them to finish all my chapter one necessities but rest assured I am in a big hurry to make more, I had a blast doing them and I'm excited to try my two new concepts :)

boyfights:

Working late today so I had time to finish up this morning! I couldn’t decide how to do the eyes so I just left them, they’re pretty tiny on these heads anyway. It was starting to feel like I could keep highlighting things forever so I had to call it a job, I spent way too long on 3 “15mm” minis :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve got enough bits for I think 12 more in this style and potentially more that I can salvage who will form the first clan. On order are 10 plague monks who I plan to work into a nurgle-blessed clan fitted with reworked night gobbo heads, plus 40 regular goblin heads and 20 chaos marauder bodies and bits that I think I will be able to split into two distinct clans using the topknot heads for one and hat heads for the other and sticking with one style of cloak for each. Hopefully the marauder legs will not be too difficult to cut down!

Of course these plans will have to wait, I’ve got three more warbands to finish up and a table to get ready. I already regret making an ebay account :stuck_out_tongue: Hobgoblins are next on the list!

boyfights:

I thought I would run out of time but I managed to squeeze in finishing this guy up too! I think he’s sold as a troll:

However he doesn’t really fit the Warhammer troll look and I’d prefer to use either the Demonworld ones or convert my own (this idea scares me with how quickly my ogres got out of control). In my campaign he will be a “black ogre”, an experimental orc-ogre crossbred creation of chaos dwarf sorcery and science. Was the experiment a success? We’ll have to wait and see, I haven’t decided yet :slight_smile:

Uther the unhinged:

Like the idea of a black ogre. Good luck with the trolls. Of course a standard 28mm ogre would be a fab giant.

boyfights:

Like the idea of a black ogre. Good luck with the trolls. Of course a standard 28mm ogre would be a fab giant.

Uther the unhinged
You read my mind :) I've got the old metal chaos ogre champion model waiting in the wings for later on in the campaign! I considered using the old metal giant model but he might be pushing it, haha

boyfights:

They took forever for some reason and I’m not sure I’m feeling the orange (though I’m happy with how it came out, the Shadespire Fyreslayers don’t seem as scary now!) but my first round of hobgoblins are done! Sorry they’re not the greatest pics either, I finished a lot later than I expected and they’re not glued to the painting stands in a way that makes for easy photos so I just grabbed a few of my favourites:

These guys will be “free” khanate hobgoblins and probably see more use as npc “monsters” for the first book of my campaign.

With plans to end up with so many ogres, it now only seems logical to expand both them and my chaos dwarfs (and probably greenskins) to armies for a larger game. I plan to try Dragon Rampant first as it seems to have a very similar casual feel as Frostgrave and good reviews. Playing solo mostly as an excuse to take lots of pictures means that I won’t really be in need of a complex ruleset, just something to move the action along :slight_smile: I’ll be making them with an eye towards Kings of War though, I’m hoping that I’ll be able to make movement trays and use my models for all three (or more) systems.

I lucked out and found a very cheap lot of GW gnoblar parts with ~40 bodies and ~25 heads! The ones with heads will be used to try and make trolls, and I plan to put goblin-ogre heads on some of the less clothed bodies and try to greenstuff some fur onto them and make yhetees. I also found these 10mm goblins which after emailing the sculptor to inquire about their exact height seem to be a perfect fit for 15mm gnoblars! I will also buy some of the “grotlings” to use as 15mm snotlings :slight_smile:

More hobgoblins soon!

tjub:

Looks great so far, almost time to ask for an “army” photo. But in your case a photo of the setting might be more appropriate? :slight_smile:

Good thinking on the 10mm goblins as gnoblars, only thing might be that most 10mm and smaller tend to be sculpted as a group. But might not be that tricky to separate them, however following your progress with interest!