[Archive] Brush Slave #4: ...Do ya punk...Do You feel lucky?

Blue in VT:

:hat off

Howdy all!

For The Fourth installment of our Brush Slave Painting Competition I had a hard time coming up with a suitable theme…but after much hard thinking and sleepless nights (;P) I’ve decided on "…Do you feel Lucky?"

In other words this contest is going to be all about guns, rifles, muskets, crossbows, hand cannons, pistols, ray guns, bolters, longbows, sling shots, water pistols, blunderbusses, blow guns, spit wads etc.  The skys the limit…as long as the weapon is man portable (no siege weapons, tanks, actual cannons or the like) and it shoots something its good to go.

So dig into that lead pile and pick something cool…then get to work on it!

The deadline for this contest will be May 8th 2011…so you have more than a month to produce a bad ass figure…:hat

BTW thanks to all who voted and participated in Brush Slave 3…and a special thanks to all who voted for my entry…its the positive feed back that I get from you all that keeps me motivated to conquer my own lead mountain.

Cheers,

Blue

Tarrakk Blackhand:

I might just enter one of these…this one!

One thing though - is it a painting contest, or a GS then painting contest?

clam:

Thanks for getting it up this fast. We are in time between competitions - so better take advantages of that. There should be no excuse not to enter this time.

And for theme, now where do you get these ideas? :stuck_out_tongue: - kidding, a brilliant theme open for almost any genre.

If any questions - please just ask them here or check the FAQ - here: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=8430&pid=143207#pid143207

@Tarrakk
Please join us, Tarrakk. Ain’t a classic contest, though - just a challenge to motivate you to do some brush works. We don’t really care if it’s conversions, home brew sculpts, a GW starter plastic or a $100 Lady McDeath, here. We just want to see you paint something nicely fitting this theme. Paint a single miniature, paint a hundred - doesn’t really matter. But don’t do you best and try win this - cause it’s then your call picking the theme for the next one. And see how hard it came down on Mr. Blue :stuck_out_tongue:

Blue in VT:

One thing though - is it a painting contest, or a GS then painting contest?

Tarrakk Blackhand
Right Clam covered it...no need to convert...but feel free if you want to.

I'm excited to hear that you are interested in participating...I find these contest to be great motivators...I've gotten more figures painted since I've started getting involved in contests than I had in the last decade!

Cheers,

Blue

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Glad that you guys want me to enter! :smiley:

You know, in other local contests around Alberta, I’ve won Best in Show, Gold, silver, and Bronze…but in these mini-figure competitions, I haven’t even placed!

What’s up with that?

nitroglysarine:

Ohh, might have the start of an idea.

inkpwn:

Can I throw my hat in the mix (get to paint my first CD too).

G.2:

Hmm…I may finally enter this one. I have said that I would enter competitions before, but I have never actually done so. I have 2 possible minis in mind, but I may need to see what is in my unpainted pile.

Thanks for the great theme Blue.

GRNDL:

What? Another one? Didnt’ we just have one of these things? Sheesh!

G.2:

Now I am definately in. I have just seen a mini in my collection, which I had no idea what to do with, but due to this theme, I now can paint him up, and use him. - I am excited!!!

clam:

Glad that you guys want me to enter! :D

You know, in other local contests around Alberta, I've won Best in Show, Gold, silver, and Bronze...but in these mini-figure competitions, I haven't even placed!

What's up with that?

Tarrakk Blackhand
Glad to have you on board, Tarrakk - but don't do it with the expectations of winning shiny medals. We dont have them, and dont want them here.
Hmm...I may finally enter this one. I have said that I would enter competitions before, but I have never actually done so. I have 2 possible minis in mind, but I may need to see what is in my unpainted pile.

Thanks for the great theme Blue.

G.2
You almost made it in BS#1 - we did see a WIP of the Hazmats - remember? And just to remember all that if you feel for it WIPs are welcome.
What? Another one? Didnt' we just have one of these things? Sheesh!

GRNDL
Yes we did - yours, and ain't it just wonderful how we can just jump form one painting projects to the next :D

Blue in VT:

Can I throw my hat in the mix (get to paint my first CD too).

inkpwn
:hat off please do! These contests are open to everyone! The more the merrier...:cheers

Cheers,

Blue

Pyro Stick:

This might be a good opportunity for me to finish another blunderbuss, although when i saw the first post i instantly thought of the limited edition inquisitor model gideon lorr. I wish i had bought one when it was out. They are worth like £30 now.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

but don't do it with the expectations of winning shiny medals.

Clam
Competitions push me to do more...to improve my skill. I'm just saying that I can't understand why my models can garner so many accolades everywhere EXCEPT in these mini contests. Maybe I'm curious as to why I'm not even getting 3rd or something. Do I suck that badly?

clam:

Well, this thread here is probably not the right place to discuss your (or others) personal achievements in GH-comps - but to answer the question short, no, I don’t think you suck. I’ve followed you work and followed you progress’ - you have improved a lot from the first miniatures I remember seeing - and you conversions are often interesting and unique. But that said, I think you need to work with/improve you basic brush work (blends, highlighting and shading) and learn the tricks of taking high quality miniature photos - if you want to beat the M3lvin’s and Ishkur’s here at CDO.

And that’s actually why we run these small events here. To keep pushing ourself and try to do better/try new methods/try new styles or just like to play. Brush control and practise makes good painters - great painters takes talent :slight_smile:

Loki:

Time to dive in to the bits box and see what i can drag up from the depths of it to paint and enter :smiley:

clam:

No stinky SMs, Loki (think Blue forgot wrighting that - but stiky marines are not welcome :P)

Blue in VT:

No stinky SMs, Loki (think Blue forgot wrighting that - but stiky marines are not welcome :P)

clam
Only the Chaos Variety are ok...:cheers

Cheers,

Blue

furrie:

Already have a mini that could be entered ready, but I will paint up another one.

clam:

Like 14 days left now - so lets start seeing some brush work here, shall we.

I’m struggling with mine. Don’t have that many good hours these days, but will do my best to finish my entry.